Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

tas7107

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I notice it with both tops. Tire pressure seems to have some effect. Could just be lower pressure allows the tires to dampen the effect some.

To those experiencing thrumming: are you running hard or soft tops? I know it has little to do with the cause, but I only notice the thrumming noise with the hard top (I have dual tops).
Sponsored

sinisterj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
To those experiencing thrumming: are you running hard or soft tops? I know it has little to do with the cause, but I only notice the thrumming noise with the hard top (I have dual tops).
I have a skytop

sinisterj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notice it with both tops. Tire pressure seems to have some effect. Could just be lower pressure allows the tires to dampen the effect some.
I did notice when I lowered my tire pressure the sound occoured at a lower speed than before but it is still there for sure around 60-64MPH

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely not the tires. I had the factory sport tires and switched to Rubi take off KO2s, and the thrumming is still present. For me, It seems to be limited to 8th gear when the engine is running at low rpm.

I'm running a soft top.

Sponsored

sinisterj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is not only a noise but you can feel it in the steering wheel/pedal

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have been noticing this on my '18 as well. 55 -60 MPH. Definitely when in 8th gear and low RPM on smooth road. Rubicon BFG K02 takeoffs running about 38 psi when warmed up. Rear axle was rebuilt (for knocking issue). Same thumming noise before and after axle work. I am going to attribute it to "operating characteristics" - i.e. tires, low engine RPM, etc. all lining up and resonating. Really just more irritating than anything.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I have it on my 2020 2DrRubicon itā€™s not a noticeable sound but a cycled vibration hum at 60-65 ish speeds. Definitely not tires maybe the shaft at those speeds.

2020jlurrubi

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
2020 JLUR Same Vibration pulse from 55 to 65 mph. I had my tires rebalanced at the dealer it did nothing. I have made an appointment for an alinement.

Does anyone have any known fix that is covered under warranty?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2020 JLUR Same Vibration pulse from 55 to 65 mph. I had my tires rebalanced at the dealer it did nothing. I have made an appointment for an alinement.

Does anyone have any known fix that is covered under warranty?
Hello there, we are sorry to hear about your concerns with your Jeep. Please know that our team is always available via private message for additional support alongside your dealer appointment.

Kathryn
JeepCares

2020jlurrubi

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
My guess is the front drive shaft is what is making the vibration pulsation in the steering wheel. I crawled up under my Jeep, and tried to turn the front drive shaft. It was tight it did not turn freely. I did several turns on it and it seemed like it loosened up. Now my vibration in the steering wheel is not as bad.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Believe it or not, I noticed a significant decrease in the pusation after the dealership the new steel steering box.
Sponsored