Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Just checking in. Any more info about the thrumming issues? Any fixes?
Sponsored

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2008 Lotus Exige, 1957 Caterham Super Seven
Mine spent 47 days in the shop before I filed a Lemon Law case in Georgia. It got a new transfer case, suspension changes, wheel changes, etc. before I gave up on it. My new 2020 JLUR just got delivered at the dealer, waiting on paperwork from Stericycle, and should have it Wednesday next week.

Jbish1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Just checking in. Any more info about the thrumming issues? Any fixes?
Went to the dealer today and a tech went for a test drive with me. The sound and vibration was obvious and they confirmed that something wasn’t right. I didn’t have time for a further diagnosis so I scheduled an appointment for March 4. I will update as I know more.

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2008 Lotus Exige, 1957 Caterham Super Seven
I picked my new 2020 JLUR up yesterday. The vibration is there in the new Jeep but it is MUCH less than the 2019 I had prior. I don't think most people would recognize the vibration in the 2020 if you hadn't driven the 2019 and knew what to look for. It still worries me though that it's there at all... we'll see where this goes.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I picked my new 2020 JLUR up yesterday. The vibration is there in the new Jeep but it is MUCH less than the 2019 I had prior. I don't think most people would recognize the vibration in the 2020 if you hadn't driven the 2019 and knew what to look for. It still worries me though that it's there at all... we'll see where this goes.
I noticed it right away in my 2020 and never had another one before... But as I mentionned, since winter hit, it's pretty much gone, so I am tempted to say it's temperature related which would point in the fender direction.

Sponsored

Jbish1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I noticed it right away in my 2020 and never had another one before... But as I mentionned, since winter hit, it's pretty much gone, so I am tempted to say it's temperature related which would point in the fender direction.
Negative for me regardless of temperature. Consistent from 63-73 mph, worst from 72 to 73 and completely gone at 74. Tech was baffled. We shall see. Goes in on Wednesday.

tas7107

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Someone mentioned before that they thought that it might be aerodynamics related. I replaced my front bumper with a Stubby on my 2dr Rubi and the thrumming seems more noticeable. Now it could also be the extra weight on the front end...

Arctric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Cloth, Dual Tops, LED, Towing, Infotain, Cold Weather.
2018 JLUR with the same rhythmic thrumming noise and vibration since new. Replaced the stock front bumper and installed a winch within the first 6 months, there was no change to the vibration level. Just installed a lower skid plate attached to the bottom of the front bumper and back to the two frame drop legs. The skid plate has six 2" wide slots in it for air flow. Both the vibration and the thrumming noise levels have increased considerably. Same speed (low 60's to 70). Makes no sense, any thoughts?

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Negative for me regardless of temperature. Consistent from 63-73 mph, worst from 72 to 73 and completely gone at 74. Tech was baffled. We shall see. Goes in on Wednesday.
Please keep us updated. Thanks for the post.

Sponsored

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR with the same rhythmic thrumming noise and vibration since new. Replaced the stock front bumper and installed a winch within the first 6 months, there was no change to the vibration level. Just installed a lower skid plate attached to the bottom of the front bumper and back to the two frame drop legs. The skid plate has six 2" wide slots in it for air flow. Both the vibration and the thrumming noise levels have increased considerably. Same speed (low 60's to 70). Makes no sense, any thoughts?
Must be the Aerodynamics of how the air passes. As you change things the air flow and direction of air flow will change as well. One guy pulled his inner fenders for an LED upgrade or something along those lines. Drove it for hours and it was gone. Put the inner fender liners back in and the noise was back. Those liners are paper thin, so they may be the whole issue. I have been waiting for someone to post about having the thrumming sound then replacing the thin liners with an aftermarket metal or aluminum set and the noise is gone. Anyone find this to be true out there? Mine are still plastic stock inner liners.

Dleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Really interesting theory. Maybe this is why it affects rubicon’s more than sport. The sports have the extra piece up front redirecting airflow around the inner fender and wheel well area. The sports also has e a lower fender than rubicon.

So if you can add this piece or temporarily tack one in place and test it, that would be interesting.

Also, if you have the metal bumper, isn’t it shorter in length? Wouldn’t that affect airflow into the fender area? Does everyone with the thrum have plastic or metal bumpers? Mine is plastic.

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really interesting theory. Maybe this is why it affects rubicon’s more than sport. The sports have the extra piece up front redirecting airflow around the inner fender and wheel well area. The sports also has e a lower fender than rubicon.

So if you can add this piece or temporarily tack one in place and test it, that would be interesting.

Also, if you have the metal bumper, isn’t it shorter in length? Wouldn’t that affect airflow into the fender area? Does everyone with the thrum have plastic or metal bumpers? Mine is plastic.
My bumpers are the factory steel bumper group. I think the length is about the same unless you remove the ends to make a shorty bumper. Had the bumpers from day 1 never removed the ends.

Jbish1977

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please keep us updated. Thanks for the post.
Still in! They replaced the driveshaft, negative.....they think they may have pinpointed it to the rear differential...2 weeks, minimum, for new rear diff parts to come in with the pandemic.

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still in! They replaced the driveshaft, negative.....they think they may have pinpointed it to the rear differential...2 weeks, minimum, for new rear diff parts to come in with the pandemic.
I hope it fixes it for you. Not to be negative but I have seen posts where they replaced all that and more without fixing any of it. Keep us posted. Thank you
Sponsored