Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I got an update from the dealer late yesterday. The transfer case was replaced and it reduced the vibration and thrumming noise, but did not solve the issue entirely. They're keeping the car for further troubleshooting.
Wow, maybe just vehicle harmonics or something in the front axle?So far people have had rear driveshafts, transfer case, complete rear axle, wheels and tires have been replaced with no complete resolution.
Sponsored

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2006 Lotus Elise, 2008 Lotus Exige, 1957 Caterham Super Seven
Dealer just called and said they think the issue is with the Rubicon stock wheels or the tires. They put some wheels from a new Sahara (straight off the truck from the factory) on my Rubicon and the vibration and thrumm noise is gone. That coincides with my result of the issue going away when I put new aftermarket wheels / tires on it, same with @D60.

Maybe it really is a bad set of rims / tires from the factory? That would coincide with what others have reported about rebalancing reducing the noise but not making it go away entirely.

EDIT: I just went back through the entire thread and others have tried the Sahara tires with no effect. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go to pick it up if it's really fixed or not... sigh.

Last edited:

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, soooo, definitely not fixed. It used to happen most strongly around 65 mph, they took it to 65 mph and no vibration. Called me and said hooray, it’s fixed. I went up there and drove it at 73 mph and vibration was there. Why 73 mph... a speedo programmed for 315/70/R17 running a Sahara tire at 255/70/R 18 means 73 mph on speedo = 65.97 mph. Same speed vibration happened before. Left the Jeep with them and we’ll see what they suggest next.

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got an update from my dealer (Troncalli CDJR in Cumming GA). The Service Dept Manager is claiming that the side steps (ACE Engineering rock rails) are the cause of the vibration. The vibration was there long before the side steps were on the vehicle but they won't listen to me. They said the regional FCA tech is coming to drive the vehicle tomorrow and to determine if it's normal. I suspect, based of what others have reported from the JT Gladiator forum, that the answer I'll get from the FCA tech is that the vibration is normal and I'll be right back to where I started. At this point I have no faith in the Jeep or FCA for that matter.

Sponsored

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
Add me to the list since day one. Symptoms: thrumming sounds (great description by OP) is consistent and harmonic with a less consistent vibration felt in the floor and steering, 62-65 and around 55, no changes in symptoms with tire change from OE KO2s to 35" MTs and 2.5 inch lift, speed related because no change in vibration with transmission gear 6-7-8. My jeep is a JLUR with a hardtop. This issue is chronic to the population of vehicles so I would like to narrow the issue before I go in to the dealer.

Questions for the inflicted owners to narrow the issue :
1. Anybody with this issue have a soft-top?
2. Anybody with this issue have a manual?
3. Anybody with this issue have the 3.6?
4. Anybody with this issue duplicate the problem with no top on?
5. Anybody duplicate the issue while loaded up with weight and the cargo volume filled the rear of the jeep?
6. Anyone else try to stiffen the hard top (change the harmonic as I saw in one post with pool noodles stuffed between the rollbar and the top) and cure the problem?

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Add me to the list since day one. Symptoms: thrumming sounds (great description by OP) is consistent and harmonic with a less consistent vibration felt in the floor and steering, 62-65 and around 55, no changes in symptoms with tire change from OE KO2s to 35" MTs and 2.5 inch lift, speed related because no change in vibration with transmission gear 6-7-8. My jeep is a JLUR with a hardtop. This issue is chronic to the population of vehicles so I would like to narrow the issue before I go in to the dealer.

5. Anybody duplicate the issue while loaded up with weight and the cargo volume filled the rear of the jeep?
6. Anyone else try to stiffen the hard top (change the harmonic as I saw in one post with pool noodles stuffed between the rollbar and the top) and cure the problem?
1) Yes, I've got the premium soft top
2) Auto trans
3) Yes, to 3.6L V6
4) Have not taken off my soft top. I don't remember it being different with top up or down.
5) Have not tried it.
6) N/A for me.

I don't think it's related to the top. I feels like it's coming from the floor cabin, through the steering wheel, and shifter, which leads me to believe it's something related to the driveline / suspension. If it was the top, then I don't think you'd feel it in the steering or the shifter.

wwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR

I have the same issue, and I feel like its getting worse or at least expanding its range. Originally it would show until around 68mph, now its up to 72mph.

1. I have a hardtop.
2. I have an automatic.
3. I have the 3.6
4. Haven't tried with no top.
5. I towed a small pop up and had a ton of camping gear in the back, and a full tank of gas. The problem was still there, and I was probably as close as you should get to loading up the back. I didn't notice any difference either.
6. I have the pool noodle fix for the buffeting as well but that didn't make a difference for this issue. It helped some for the buffeting feeling, but didn't make it go away 100% though.

I'm all stock as well.

wwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I just drove a friend's 18 JL Sahara today as well, and it didn't have the problem at all. That has the new full time 4wd system. I'm wondering if it's the transfer case causing the issues...

Sponsored

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Oddly enough mine seems like it’s getting better. I can barely hear it now and didn’t change anything.

74bronco_nomore

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 JKU, 2005 Dodge Quad cab, 2005 Audi A4
Thanks for the answers. Maybe it isn't the top. Hopefully we will get a few more answers. It would be telling if anyone with a manual transmission reports having this problem. I also forgot to ask another important question. RUBICON, SPORT, OR SAHARA to narrow down the transfer case variations. Thanks all!

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Someone had their transfer case replaced and it didn’t help. Gladiators are having the same issue. Seems to only be Rubicons in both cases.

frizille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the answers. Maybe it isn't the top. Hopefully we will get a few more answers. It would be telling if anyone with a manual transmission reports having this problem. I also forgot to ask another important question. RUBICON, SPORT, OR SAHARA to narrow down the transfer case variations. Thanks all!
Mine is a Rubicon. 2019 model JLUR, built in March 2019.

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
Mine is a stock 2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic and fully loaded, Came in on the 4th of July 2019.
Definitely not either the soft top or hard top. It happened to mine right off the lot with the hard top on and it did not sit around at all so no flat spots on the tires would be possible / KO2s. I special ordered it, took 3 months to arrive which I tracked as much as humanly possible. I went to see it the day it came in then I picked it up the next day after it was detailed.
drove it 2 days with the hard top on and had the thrumming, removed hard top, put on the Premium soft top, same noise with top up or down. so tops are not the issue. Others changes wheels and no changes. probably something wrong in the 8 speed automatic at specific RPMs comes through what seems to be the driver side floor and can feel it less on the passenger side. It is a definite annoyance as I travel a lot at that speed range. Now I have to pass it to get rid of it or slower, kind of crappy to say the least after going for a fully loaded JLUR, extended warranty, taxes, etc...
I did have the head mechanic from service take a ride with me at only a few miles on the jeep to check out the issue. He was totally sceptical until he drove it. His answer was to drive it more and it may go away... LOL... sure. It only has 980 miles as of today since I drive my work vans daily and use 2 other family cars. Yes it hides in the garage for now but its awesome and I don't care what my friends and wife say, LOL JK.
PS: I still love this Jeep but it needs to be corrected for all of us fast before our Jeeps have other issues in time from the vibrations.
Sponsored