Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Not to mention this post from another thread.

"They replaced the rear drive shaft (didn't fix it) and then rebuilt the rear diff including the pinion assemblies. I got it back on October 2nd and it is still there, no change. I felt like right after I got it back, it was maybe slightly improved, but no more than a day or two later, it was back just as bad as it ever was"
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
Not a Wrangler but I have this exact same issue on my 2018 F250. We have two Wranglers, one being a Mopar lifted JLU on 315’s. Luckily it’s fine (JLU). The TJ is just awesome with its 4” Zone lift and BFG AT’s.
The F250 is a loaded 4x4 Lariat Ultimate Powerstroke. The dealer added a leveling kit the day I picked it up. It came with 34” Michelin tires. Stupid quiet inside at all speeds.
At 7500 miles, I bought Fuel Wheels and 35” Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Zero tire shake and except for the obvious difference in tread design, I was totally ecstatic. For 200 miles.
I started hearing this thrumming noise between 61-70 mph. Worse when on the throttle. Took it back to tire store and they checked balance. Still there. Decided to see if it was something with the truck and put stock wheels and tires back on. And it totally went away. Right now they are trying to get something done with Nitto and I’m not putting them back on the truck.
I could have sworn it was driveline related and was leaning towards pinion angle even though the truck is not touched other than the leveling kit. I put about 3,000 miles on the Ridge Grapplers. The rubber quality is pretty bad as the tread blocks are pretty rough like the mold was poor. Tire shop took several pictures.
Back to our JLU, it’s a 2018 Sahara and we are running 315 WildPeak AT’s. It has zero noises or shakes.
Good luck. I can sympathize.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Man this sucks as the Ridge Grapplers were my next mod!

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Well, I'm still puzzled.

I knew others had already tried, but I tested a different set of wheels/tires today. They came from a 2014 Sahara.

I can say the vibration felt in the steering was much lower, but still there. So I'm guessing that the smaller tires, and much less aggressive thread, helps to minimize this issue, but it's still there.

We know it's not the drive shafts, not the tires/wheels. I'm puzzled but pretty much at the end of what I can try on my own...

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
This is one of those noises that drives a persons OCD off the chart. I was driving today and swear it is more noticeable when coasting. I don't notice it as much when I am on the gas and there is load on the drivetrain. Does that sound similar to yours? I feel like it could be a transfer case issue since it only affects Rubicons; it's not the driveshaft and it can be felt under the driver seat.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Agreed, I had noticed that when accelerating I would not notice is as much while crossing that speed, but when letting go, it would buzz on the way down.
Doesnt seem to affect all Rubicons though, so that's odd too.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Another thought. Is the steering stabilizer the same part on saharas and sports?
If so it could be underspec'd for the Rubicon.
I've read somewhere that it's recomended to get a better one when going to bigger tires.
I wonder if everyone having this issue is on the oem ss.

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have this same issue. It started at 60, peaked at 65 and gone at 70. I can't stand vibrations but also can't stand dealer service departments. I dreaded the idea of taking it in and hearing the "it's normal" or "we can't duplicate the problem" BS. After I stumble upon one of the MANY threads on this I took it in on 9/3/19 to Al Serra. The very next day they called and to my surprise they found the problem and determined it was the rear driveshaft and that it would be in in about 4 days. I was pleased. 5 days later they called and said the driveshaft did not improve the vibration and that the rear axle was the cause. They ordered the rear axle and it was on back order.

Finally on 9/24 they call to tell me it is complete. The service guy said that the vibrations are not gone but better and that the tech wants to me to take a test drive to get my opinion. I told them that if you want my opinion, then its not fixed. The next morning the service manager called me and told that he test drove it and the vibrations were completely gone. On 9/26 I picked it up and drove home. On the way home there is brand new blacktop. Literally days old. THE EXACT vibrations are still there.I called the service manager and he said to bring it back and they could go on a test drive with me again. I don't have the time or desire to have them try to figure this out.

How can Jeep turn a blind eye to this? I saw part of the repair bill and it was over $5500. This dealer duplicated the problem and just threw parts at it.

New driveshaft
New complete axle
10 days of Enterprise car
13 days of dealer loaner

Reading everyone's posts and @JeepCares replies I doubt this will be resolved.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Wow, sorry to hear yours isn’t fixed after all that. This kinda confirms what I was thinking about it being something in the transfer case, or the front end (axle shafts, hub, or FAD related since the front drive shaft does not spin). I pulled my rear shaft off and could still hear/feel it. Your post does really help the rest of us with diagnosis though. Thanks

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I agree that it helps. But i'm also pretty sure it's not the front diff (or FCA) since the symptoms are the same in 4wd or 2wd (or in Jeepfan's case, front wheel drive only).
So, for now, i've got 2 potential suspects, the steering stabilizer(see my post above Greenerobmnu) or the t-case.

Sponsored

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm going back tomorrow to test drive. This BS has cost me the sale of my stock wheels and tires and I am NOT going in there with a new set so they can point the fingers at it..

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Yeah, it's not the tires/wheels for sure.

I borrowed a 2014 Sahara's wheels (looked weird on a Rubicon) and it was ever so slightly better. I can chuck that off to the smaller tires and less aggressive thread, but it was till present.
This does exclude wheels, but may point towards front end area. Which brings back my question, what about a better than stock steering stabilizer?

Stoney126

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 7.3 superduty4x4/ 17 blacktop rt charger/2000 xj
So I called Chrysler today about the thrumming noise and my new noise of the of my driver door rattling against the freedom top. Which wasn't fixed by the dealer they replaced a door panel.. really a door panel jesus. Anyway Chrysler told me to pound sand . If the dealer says it's normal then they can take no action. They advised to have the dealer escalate the case to star case. I'll bring it in for a 5th time . Then it's off to contact a lawyer. Bought jeep in may and has 3200 miles

greenerobnmu

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm going back tomorrow to test drive. This BS has cost me the sale of my stock wheels and tires and I am NOT going in there with a new set so they can point the fingers at it..
Took a ride with the service manager yesterday. We both noticed it. As I've mentioned before they replaced the DS and Axle. This likely means that the culprit is the trans or transfer case. During the test drive I was in the passenger seat. He asked if it was only upon speed up to 63mph. We were on the expressway and as he slowed to 63mph I said there's you answer. While driving it he pointed out that it seemed to happen when it was in 8th gear. They keep the Jeep to have a look. At least now they are checking something different.

Puckn19

First Name
Quentin Corbett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same sound on my 2019 Rubicon. Just figured it was the tires so didn't pay much attention to it.
Sponsored