Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I got the same response from the service department last month. I pulled my rear driveshaft off this week and went for a test drive in 4H. Still heard the noise, so apparently it's not the rear driveshaft.
Could it be the front driveshaft? As I understand it, when in 2 wheel drive, the front diff and driveshaft still spin but are not engaged in the t-case.

Since it seems it's not tires or rear shaft, it means it's either a diff, t-case or from drive shaft. Just guessing.
Sponsored

Stoney126

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 7.3 superduty4x4/ 17 blacktop rt charger/2000 xj
So an update . I've had my jeep at two dealers . Now. Still have the noise at 58 to 65. Was told it's normal as they road tested another jeep and it did the same. They are stating aggressive tires. I asked to drive another jeep with a tech and was told they had nobody available. Its saturday I get it but seriously have a salesman roll with me. Brought it in also due to my driver door rattles as well. I told it goes away if I open the door. Also if I lift the freedom top it goes away. So they found a warped door panel.......clearly. jeep had do a survey for my jeep and listed all the noises I've heard and have been calling me but haven't had a chance to call them back. I'll road test another jeep to see if it has the same noise but will also advise I looking to start buy back under lemon law.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Spoke to a service advisor at my local dealer yesterday, he is absolutely convinced it just needs the tires balanced. Pretty sure he would bet his next paycheck on it, but i don't believe it.

Sad part is, in order to move further, I have to let them start there...

monsterpiece

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Had this issue for a year and a half now on my 2018 JLUR. When I lower the tire pressure below 35psi, the thrum thrum thrum noise is better, less noticeable. Been following this topic since day 1, does not seem that anyone had found a solution yet. So maybe this tip helps to make your life just a tad easier. Ridiculous quality. Dealers are jokes... Jeep care is also a big joke. For the past 8 months or so, I thought this is because of the rear driveshaft out of balance because there is a video made by [Banned Site] on youtube:

Now i am more confused, since someone said above that he removed rear driveshaft and it is still there.....

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Looked under the jeep today, there are yellow paint marks on the drive shaft, diff and t-case.

none of them are aligned, so I wonder if they should all be, would make sense.

Sponsored

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Looked under the jeep today, there are yellow paint marks on the drive shaft, diff and t-case.

none of them are aligned, so I wonder if they should all be, would make sense.
It would make sense, I aligned all of mine and it dint make a difference.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Well now mine are all aligned and it reduced the thrumming but it's not completely gone.

I'd say at least half of what it was so i'll leave it like that for now.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I wonder if anyone has had their driveshafts (front and back) balanced by a d/s shop.
Talking OEM driveshafts of course. I've read that some have had theirs replaced and it didn't really fix it but that's not saying much if they come with a poor balance.

Also, the front shaft is disconnected in 2WD, BUT, i'm starting to think it may be part of the problem.
Some (Like JeepFan) have tried taking out the rear shaft, but not the front shaft.
It could be part of the problem and i'm very sure it's still spinning when disconnected. (friction, drag, etc).

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
So dealer re-balanced my tires today and called me back saying they had done a test-drive and all was good.

Naturally when I picked it up, it was exactly the same as before...

Guess who's getting a call in the morning?

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
So dealer re-balanced my tires today and called me back saying they had done a test-drive and all was good.

Naturally when I picked it up, it was exactly the same as before...

Guess who's getting a call in the morning?
Thanks for the update, even though it wasn’t fixed.

Sponsored

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
You know, I'm starting to think maybe it's the front-end. Reason I'm thinking this is that the vibration I feel and hear I feel in the steering. But sometimes when I hit a bump I also hear it for a brief moment, same feeling, same vibration. So what if it's a slight mis-alignment ?

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I hear ya, sometimes when I hit a reflector or big crack in the road above 50mph I hear the same tone thrum noise as the one between 63-65.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
If it truly is the front-end vibrating, I'm not even sure an alignment would fix it.

Spoke with a local 4x4 shop owner and he was mentionning that the stock links are pretty thin and it's quite possible they are vibrating to some harmonic. Unfortunately, if it's that, the only way to fix it is by throwing aftermarket parts on it. Which sucks since that was not my plan.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
If it truly is the front-end vibrating, I'm not even sure an alignment would fix it.

Spoke with a local 4x4 shop owner and he was mentionning that the stock links are pretty thin and it's quite possible they are vibrating to some harmonic. Unfortunately, if it's that, the only way to fix it is by throwing aftermarket parts on it. Which sucks since that was not my plan.
It's a tough one to track down, I know a couple people had the dealership replace their rear driveshaft and that still didn't fix it. The odds that their original driveshaft, and new one were both out of balance is pretty low.

I completely removed my rear driveshaft and swear I could still hear it.

I've turned the radio up really loud and sped up without looking at the speedometer to see if noticed it, I didn't feel a vibration. To me it's more a noise that a vibration. Like a harmonic rythmic noise, not a constant tone.

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
It's a tough one to track down, I know a couple people had the dealership replace their rear driveshaft and that still didn't fix it. The odds that their original driveshaft, and new one were both out of balance is pretty low.

I completely removed my rear driveshaft and swear I could still hear it.

I've turned the radio up really loud and sped up without looking at the speedometer to see if noticed it, I didn't feel a vibration. To me it's more a noise that a vibration. Like a harmonic rythmic noise, not a constant tone.
Also, it's happening on 2 doors and 4 doors, two different length rear driveshafts (2018-2020). I kinda feel like the rear driveshaft can logically be ruled out, but who knows at this point.
Sponsored