Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Its the rear drive shaft due to the factory lift and no correction to the drive shaft angle. Either put a drive shaft on with a cv joint on the transfer case end or adjustable lower control arms so you can get the angles back in spec.
Is this really the issue or speculating? Don’t Willys have a similar lift and wouldn’t they also experience the same vibration?

Has anyone added rear LCAs and noticed the noise was gone?

I just want to make sure, I’d hate to throw money at an issue that it’s a fix. Granted I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt to upgrade those things. :)
Sponsored

1977Jimmy

First Name
STEVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 GMC Jimmy , 2020 Jeep Wrangler
I've driven lifted trucks since I was 16 , I'm 49 now if the ujoints aren't operating at the same angle you'll have vibration. On my rubicon I have the thrumming at highway speed unloaded. When I pull my trailer the rear sags about an inch , no more thrumming going down the highway. I have 9500 miles on mine i can hear it but not feel it. The guys that say they can feel it and its starting to br noticeable at other speeds prolly got stuff coming loose from vibration. When mine gets a little worse I'm going to a tom woods cv drive shaft.

1977Jimmy

First Name
STEVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 GMC Jimmy , 2020 Jeep Wrangler
Another example , I have a friend that has a 17 2 dr jk that he bought new , never had a problem with it. He lifted it 2.5 inches with a spacer kit a couple of months ago, got driveline vibration now.

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
I've driven lifted trucks since I was 16 , I'm 49 now if the ujoints aren't operating at the same angle you'll have vibration. On my rubicon I have the thrumming at highway speed unloaded. When I pull my trailer the rear sags about an inch , no more thrumming going down the highway. I have 9500 miles on mine i can hear it but not feel it. The guys that say they can feel it and its starting to br noticeable at other speeds prolly got stuff coming loose from vibration. When mine gets a little worse I'm going to a tom woods cv drive shaft.
I replaced the factory shaft with an Adam’s CV shaft and the thrumming persisted:/

Gcodejedi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKUR
Rear axle replaced and still thrumming. Locker position sensor works again tho.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced the factory shaft with an Adam’s CV shaft and the thrumming persisted:/
So this would mean it’s not it, correct? Something else then?

I just towed an enclosed trailer from NC to CO that weighed 1440 lbs and I think the tongue weight was around 300 lbs. I sagged a bit while towing and I still felt the thrumming but it did seem to change though. So maybe you’re on to something but it was still there.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Its the rear drive shaft due to the factory lift and no correction to the drive shaft angle. Either put a drive shaft on with a cv joint on the transfer case end or adjustable lower control arms so you can get the angles back in spec.
Does it also have to be balanced in this process?

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I dropped mine off at the dealer today. They had it once before and claimed it was fixed after they balanced the tires. This did not fix it. I told them this is a drive line issue. Let’s see if they can perform a Christmas miracle. They provided me with a 2.0 unlimited JL sport as a loaner for the day. The sport drives like a top! No vibration between 60-70 and it handles well too. If they can’t figure this out, maybe I’ll trade in my Rubicon for a Willy’s!
They called after having it all day and told me that they were unable to duplicate the vibration! I’m like c’mon if you drive it at 63-67 ish you can hear and feel the thrumming. I requested a ride along road test so I’ll be doing that tomorrow.

W8KFM

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2020 Cherokee 2002 XJ Limited
I was to my dealer today and he told me right off it is tire vibration but he agreed to look at it on the 6th of next month..It really does feel like drive shaft vibration but mine does with stock suspension..The shaft angles looks good by just eyeing it but I will check the angles at my garage..I am also thinking of removing the rear shaft and run it off the front shaft and check it that way..I've been messing with lift kits in vehicles since 1975 and have delt with vibrations before and it's sometimes a real PITA!

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I was to my dealer today and he told me right off it is tire vibration but he agreed to look at it on the 6th of next month..It really does feel like drive shaft vibration but mine does with stock suspension..The shaft angles looks good by just eyeing it but I will check the angles at my garage..I am also thinking of removing the rear shaft and run it off the front shaft and check it that way..I've been messing with lift kits in vehicles since 1975 and have delt with vibrations before and it's sometimes a real PITA!
Please let us know if you figure anything out.
They called after having it all day and told me that they were unable to duplicate the vibration! I’m like c’mon if you drive it at 63-67 ish you can hear and feel the thrumming. I requested a ride along road test so I’ll be doing that tomorrow.
You know how when you’re sick and then you feel better when you get to the doctor’s office.. I took mine for a road test with the foreman from service.. Of course we were on a rough length of road as every road, but I was unable to perceive the thrumming that I know is there between 63-67ish mph. Unreal. I’ll try again when someone comes up with a fix for this issue.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I dropped mine off at the dealer today. They had it once before and claimed it was fixed after they balanced the tires. This did not fix it. I told them this is a drive line issue. Let’s see if they can perform a Christmas miracle. They provided me with a 2.0 unlimited JL sport as a loaner for the day. The sport drives like a top! No vibration between 60-70 and it handles well too. If they can’t figure this out, maybe I’ll trade in my Rubicon for a Willy’s!
Hi John! I heard you're currently working with one of our dealers. If you need any additional support at all, please do not hesitate to send our team a private message! We hope everything gets resolved smoothly. Happy Holidays!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hi John! I heard you're currently working with one of our dealers. If you need any additional support at all, please do not hesitate to send our team a private message! We hope everything gets resolved smoothly. Happy Holidays!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Thanks Courtney.. I’d hope you can see we could all use additional support on this. Has there been any fix for this? “Jeep Cares” should know. Please share with us any fix or let us know what Jeep plans to do to eliminate this issue from the JL Rubicon.

Thank you,
Happy Holidays

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
This is probably not it, but worth mentioning at it takes just seconds to visually inspect. I had a pop riviot comeoff and some if my inner fender liner would rub on the wheel at speed. Might as well rule it out.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
This is probably not it, but worth mentioning at it takes just seconds to visually inspect. I had a pop riviot comeoff and some if my inner fender liner would rub on the wheel at speed. Might as well rule it out.
I’ve actually wondered if it was the fender liner vibrating in the wind. Especially since the Rubicon fenders sit up higher. I’m wondering if anyone with the aftermarket thicker fender liners have this issue.

Tknott

First Name
THOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
New 2021 Jeep JL, exact same issue, vibration and cycling thrum, thrum noise. Has anybody found a solution?
Sponsored