Throttle response (cross posted)

Turfman

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
fellow jeepers! I experienced this the other day and wanted to get opinions.

I wanted to add this in this post because it just happened to me yesterday.

Where I work I have a gravel road and when I was leaving I tapped my throttle pretty hard and let off quickly!

What I got in return was about 30’ of burnout! This surprised the heck out of me because I was only expecting about 5’ of get up and go! I was not trying to burn out just getting into it a little. As soon as my throttle released I instantly thought of this post and this accident!

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing with their JL? I have the 3.6 with the auto trans!

And before anyone gets the idea that maybe I didn’t know what I was doing or what actually happened. I have spent all my life working on cars trucks and Jeeps. I’ve done numerous street racers and know the difference between a little action and a sticking throttle. What I experienced was a momentary sticking of the throttle!

I rarely ever tap the throttle on my Jeep. It’s generally easy going or get into it completely! Never just a simple foot tap andrelease!

If anyone else thinks of this, may I ask that you give this a try a few times when it may be safe! Let’s see if this may actually be an issue not know or discussed yet!

What if it turns out we do see a problem and the driver was actually not completely at fault but maybe taken by surprised and we find we can duplicate it?

Just asking fellow jeepers!

Advertisement

robaw

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Yes - I've noticed similar a few times, but not on gravel. Just made mental not to not do that, although I do find it weird.

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
I feel that I need to try this just for my own knowledge and piece of mind.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Whats going on in here???

David45

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura Mercedes
I’m new here and would like to know which vehicles are having this issue!

robaw

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My experience I wouldn't call an "issue", maybe different from OP. A few times I've given the ol' Jeep a good amount of gas, but then let up completely right away. RPMs stayed high for a second or two instead of sharply decreasing upon release. Found it odd but not crazy, I was on pavement so didn't really matter much.