Sponsored

Threedom - We would really ❤️ to hear from you!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Tried for a macro so you could see the silicone:
fobMacro.jpg
@Aonar

Nice looking fob!

I've sealed a Model M up with Silicone. I did it a bit differently then you did.

With the case halves separated, I applied the Silicon to the lip of each half... and then closed up the case and placed the screw. Placed some Silicone over the screw head area..

I felt doing it this way would assure the Silicone would for sure, seal up the case all the way around.

I did a trial run sealing up the Model M before I added the circuit board, battery and chip.

I sealed it up as mentioned with Silicone and gave it a day to dry. Then I submersed the fob in a bucket of water and let it submerged for an hour+.

Anyway, I took the fob out of the bucket, dried it off and opened the fob up. (It pried open without damage to the fob.) The inside of the fob was dry dry..

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD
Thought about doing it the way you described. I suspected it would be better, but I had one concern which I did not know the answer to: Does the edge contact the inner-opposite side once the fob is closed? Your test is at least evidence of a good seal. HOPEFULLY I do not drop mine in water but if I do, I will report back ;)

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought about doing it the way you described. I suspected it would be better, but I had one concern which I did not know the answer to: Do the 2 half edges contact the inner-opposite sides once the fob is closed? Your test is at least evidence of a good seal. HOPEFULLY I do not drop mine in water but if I do, I will report back ;)
@Aonar

I used a quite heavy bead of Silicone on the lip. Result was there was quite a barrier of Silicone on the inner side when I closed up the fob. When I opened the fob back up after testing, the bead of Silicone pulled off..

Good to see other's here with/talking the Threedom fob. The dam fobs are really nice to say the least.

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to see other's here with/talking the Threedom fob. The dam fobs are really nice to say the least.
Funny that it took me this long (from the initial discussion of the fob) to FINALLY decide I had had-enough of the ugly, heavy, bulky stock fob. I am not sure what took me so long. Maybe it was the fear of switching the guts around BUT @Threedom has a great vid showing the process. What really set my mind at ease though, was the fact that I have a spare factory fob. IF I had made a mistake in getting the RFID chip out, I knew I still had my spare. I needn't have worried. It was a bit more struggle than their vid showed but as I mentioned in my review, I was willing to go "aggressive" on the old fob to get that chip out.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I've been using a blue camo Model M since it was first available for purchase. That fob has been relegated to spare duty, and I'm now using this daily:

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom - We would really ❤️ to hear from you! IMG_0485 (1).JPG

I have nothing but good things to say about my Threedom fobs. Fit and finish are fantastic, and people who notice me using either fob often comment on how they've never seen anything like them before.

4xewrgler

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler 4Xe
Funny that it took me this long (from the initial discussion of the fob) to FINALLY decide I had had-enough of the ugly, heavy, bulky stock fob. I am not sure what took me so long. Maybe it was the fear of switching the guts around BUT @Threedom has a great vid showing the process. What really set my mind at ease though, was the fact that I have a spare factory fob. IF I had made a mistake in getting the RFID chip out, I knew I still had my spare. I needn't have worried. It was a bit more struggle than their vid showed but as I mentioned in my review, I was willing to go "aggressive" on the old fob to get that chip out.
Aonor,

The part that I found to help the most was making a small cut in the side of the plastic around the RFID to allow for it to slide out. I figured worst case I was switching back I would drop a dab or glue in the bottom to keep it in place.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Aonar

I have removed the RFID chip from a few factory key fobs. Only one RFID chip out of the bunch made me work a bit at it's removal. On that one fob, I disturbed the plastic box that holds the chip but only disturbed/cut it a bit.

Next time I have a fob in which the RFID chip seems to not want to come out, I am going to try the place the casing on hot water for a few minutes before you attempt to remove the RFID chip which has a waterproof coating. I have heard that this hot water method works well.

Everyone locally that owns a JL or JT that has seen/handled my Threedom fob has gone right to the Threedom website and purchased a fob.... they usually also buy the Threedom key hole covers they saw on my JL.

Yup, once you get your hands on one you say.......... what the fruck did I wait for... why did I not get one sooner.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Hey folks. Just thought I'd add my experience. I ordered the Star key cap covers (2 door + 1 rear). The fit and look great. I was happy enough that, with my experience with those, and the reports of happy key fob customers, I decided to get the Model M key fob. I did make a mistake when ordering though, because after the fact I decided I wanted a key holder too, and the fob shipping was free, but the key holder shipping was 5 bucks (so doubled the price). I should have ordered it with the fob. ☹ Oh well, I didn't want to pay 10 bucks for the holder, so I'll make do with the way the key is. Threedom you might want to make the key holder a checkbox on the initial fob order (a recommended addition). I'm sure I would have selected it. 😉

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey folks. Just thought I'd add my experience. I ordered the Star key cap covers (2 door + 1 rear). The fit and look great. I was happy enough that, with my experience with those, and the reports of happy key fob customers, I decided to get the Model M key fob. I did make a mistake when ordering though, because after the fact I decided I wanted a key holder too, and the fob shipping was free, but the key holder shipping was 5 bucks (so doubled the price). I should have ordered it with the fob. ☹ Oh well, I didn't want to pay 10 bucks for the holder, so I'll make do with the way the key is. Threedom you might want to make the key holder a checkbox on the initial fob order (a recommended addition). I'm sure I would have selected it. 😉

@Wolfy

IF you just recently ordered... say in the last 2-5 days, send an email to [email protected] , asap/NOW ...... and let them know that you forgot to order a key holder and could you please add it to your order.

There is a very good chance if your fob has not shipped (usually ships say 5 days or so after ordering) that they can help you on this. Their CS is excellent!

When you go to Threedom's website, everything is broken down separately, including the key holders.

Sponsored

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the suggestion @Rhinebeck01. Just ordered the fob tonight, and I sent an email. Hope I can get the key holder without the shipping charge. 👍

Last edited:

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you Threedom! I got a fast response after emailing them that I had forgotten to add the key holder to my order, and they are added it with no shipping charge, and sent me an invoice for just the cost of the key holder. Great customer service. 👍

Reldn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Rubicon, '22 4Runner TRD Pro, '22 Ram 1500
Received my order for the keyhole covers and wiper caps today and promptly got them installed. The fit and detail on these are dead-on. Next up is to get a badge for my Little Blue Dragon!
Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom - We would really ❤️ to hear from you! PXL_20220317_185238992

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom - We would really ❤️ to hear from you! PXL_20220317_185246670.MP

OP
OP
Threedom

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
@Reldn

They look great!

We appreciate your business..... and also truly appreciate your letting us know you are really pleased with them.

In regard to the Threedom Dragon badge you are thinking about.. the badges are designed to replace the factory trail-rated badges but we have buyer's placing at various locations on their JL and JT's.

The Threedom badges are the same diameter and approximately the same thickness as the factory badges. Custom die-cut double sided 3M automotive tape is included with each order.

Badges are made to order and will ship within 5 business days.

@Reldn We'll leave a light on for you at our website.... ;)
www.mythreedom.com
Designed and Manufactured in Minnesota

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom - We would really ❤️ to hear from you! BadgeOnJeep-14

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Aonar

Nice looking fob!

I've sealed a Model M up with Silicone. I did it a bit differently then you did.

With the case halves separated, I applied the Silicon to the lip of each half... and then closed up the case and placed the screw. Placed some Silicone over the screw head area..

I felt doing it this way would assure the Silicone would for sure, seal up the case all the way around.

I did a trial run sealing up the Model M before I added the circuit board, battery and chip.

I sealed it up as mentioned with Silicone and gave it a day to dry. Then I submersed the fob in a bucket of water and let it submerged for an hour+.

Anyway, I took the fob out of the bucket, dried it off and opened the fob up. (It pried open without damage to the fob.) The inside of the fob was dry dry..
Folks (me included!) always seem to boast about their successes but rarely describe their failures. I am going to do just that to maybe save you some time. Today, my home-made gasket which I made from silicone (see post# 70) which I placed around the outer edge CAME OFF in one complete piece while removing the fob from my pocket. EPIC fail BUT now I can try @Rhinebeck01 s solution :) I will open it back up on my next "weekend" so it will have a chance to dry B4 work.
Sponsored