YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are several key fob threads, but I couldn’t decide which to post this in, so I decided to make a new one.

I decided I was tired of the key flipping out and poking me in the leg, so I preordered the Threedom model S+ key fob (here).

they have other models, but this has provisions to use the key. I need it because I regularly lock my console and glove box. You could add it to a ring on the other models but I didn’t like the idea of it on a key ring. Well, the S+ finally shipped and I just got it today. It’s how Jeep should have designed the fob from the factory.

I previously ordered the AJT designs fob and was very unhappy with it. The buttons stuck and it just felt cheap. Plus, no provisions for a key other than stuffing it in the back compartment.

the finish on the Threedom seems much better, and because you reuse the button pad on the S+ from the factory fob, it feels like the original. I know it’s over $50 for a piece of plastic, but I like it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob 03E7B340-8198-4C65-9F05-9DC4A8911BC1

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob A24E38D0-9ABB-4354-8A28-BD6F0EE815CF

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
That does reduce the bulk a little and allow the key to still be used. Does it weight less? Not only is the OEM one bulky, but it's heavy too.

I'll probably go with their original design. They key on mine is rarely used. When I take the OEM one apart, I'll probably put the key part on a separate ring that I keep in my pocket with my other keys. I don't like my other keys connected to the fob. But I want the absolute smallest fob possible. There is zero reason for this fob to be as ginornous as it is except to impress those who are fans of ginormous fobs.

I hate having bulky crap in my pockets. I'm always deciding what is and isn't needed in my pockets or wallet to keep bulk down. Some guys I know have wallets over 2" thick, full of dozens of business cards and assort junk that they never look at or need.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Threedom
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon
@The Last Cowboy

I knew that this past Fri. and Sat. that Threedom started to ship out the first final version S+ fob with retractable key..... https://mythreedom.com/

I was a tester of the S+ and well, was really looking forward to hearing other's speak of the pleasure of owning a Model S+. To hear what other's thought of the S+.

The S+, weighs much less and is 10% smaller then the stock JL/JT fob.

In the next day or so the Model S+ will be made available in various colors and textures .....

Anyway, the feel of that key retracting is really great, right..... the S+ just has a real good feel to it..
AND, as you said "It’s how Jeep should have designed the fob from the factory."

Consider getting a short zipper pull for the fob... With a zipper pull, you can just drop the S+ in you coin pocket and leave the end of the zipper pull at the mouth of the coin pocket for easy easy retrieval of the S+ that is small enough that it kinda gets lost in the coin pocket.

Zipper pull:
https://www.amazon.com/Topaz-Easy-O...8D721/ref=dp_prsubs_1?pd_rd_i=B08MDVL5K2&th=1

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob closed

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob side

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob 20210816_103653

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
That does reduce the bulk a little and allow the key to still be used. Does it weight less? Not only is the OEM one bulky, but it's heavy too.

I'll probably go with their original design. They key on mine is rarely used. When I take the OEM one apart, I'll probably put the key part on a separate ring that I keep in my pocket with my other keys. I don't like my other keys connected to the fob. But I want the absolute smallest fob possible. There is zero reason for this fob to be as ginornous as it is except to impress those who are fans of ginormous fobs.

I hate having bulky crap in my pockets. I'm always deciding what is and isn't needed in my pockets or wallet to keep bulk down. Some guys I know have wallets over 2" thick, full of dozens of business cards and assort junk that they never look at or need.
yep, it’s much lighter. I just weighed them. I used my spare stock key since it has all the internal parts still. Stock one is 2.4oz and the Threedom with the key attached is 1.4oz.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

@The Last Cowboy

I have/use both a THREEDOM, Model M and an S+.... both are real nice ... and well made... feel is great...

IF you want small small, tiny and light, fob ..... go with the THREEDOM Model M fob... you'd take the JL/JT key and stash it on the outside of the JL/JT or hang it off the THREEDOM fob itself. THREEDOM also sells some slick key holders for the stock key.. The holder attaches with the stock key retaining roll pin so no bastardizing/drilling a hole in the stock key is needed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob Capture.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob iii

Sponsored

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
@YippieKiYayMrFalcon

Great photos and video, you got it together before we posted the assembly instructions, impressive! Thank you for your kind words and for sharing your experience with the Model S+. We worked very hard to achieve that click and key locking feature. Special thanks to @Rhinebeck01 for his instrumental beta feedback.

@Rhinebeck01 The zipper pull is a great addition!

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the Model S and love it. Before i got it, i shut the key with a rubber band across the gap and then cut the ends sticking out to keep it from opening in my pocket.

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I also received S+ yesterday, and did the transplant surgery. I used watch band tools for removing the pin from the flip key. Now the fob is much smaller and fits better on the roof.
Jeep Wrangler JL Threedom S+ key fob 06377C5D-4FA8-40AC-8C5E-80CA6E3C5C7E

I have been using Mission Darkness Faraday Bag like others, and new one fits sideway and I can fold the bag into half. I might cut & sew to make a smaller bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1C21O2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_EM5WYR853HZFFKD7TGA6

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It would be even better if they could figure out a way to eliminate the panic button and make it smaller yet. The vast majority of people never use that button and when they do, not as intended.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be even better if they could figure out a way to eliminate the panic button and make it smaller yet. The vast majority of people never use that button and when they do, not as intended.
For those that have a Tazer JL, they can turn off the panic button.

For those without a Tazer JL that want to render the panic button unusable, it is quite easy to do that.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
But if there was no panic button, the key fob size could be reduced by 33%. That’s what I was getting at.

That would require a custom circuit board though and I doubt very many would want to pay that price.

Last edited:

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
Just ordered a Threedom. Thought you guys were nuts complaining about the key opening in your pocket. Mine must have loosened up because first 2 months, no key issues. Since then, key opens almost everytime it's in my pocket.

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
@Threedom Do you make ones that hold the integrity of the S/S+ shape for a key fob without the buttons. I love the look, but dont have power locks.

Threedom

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mythreedom.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU & Gladiator
@Threedom Do you make ones that hold the integrity of the S/S+ shape for a key fob without the buttons. I love the look, but dont have power locks.
It's coming soon! We are reducing the size a bit. I am hopeful for a November release.