Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
For the doubters
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell you thought a call center employee was going to be able to personally do for your welds? What would you expect them to concede with the threat of contacting the attorney general? They don't have ANY technical knowledge let alone the capacity to determine whether your welds are ok or not........they can refer you to a dealer or body shop but I'm sure you'd just get your panties all bunched up. Unless your car is at the dealer and the dealer is escalating the issue through their district service rep you will make 0 progress. Your incompetence and threats will get you absolutely nowhere...... but cool story bro
Already had it to a dealer for this...they brought in an uncertified person to inspect it. He snuck in...took a whooping 15-20 and snuck out. Then it was escalated and over 150 pics were sent to cares/waves. They looked at them with the colorado region head and the uncertified dbag from district and blew it off. Now they won't talk about it or do anything about it. These are my welds... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-welding-issues.5446/page-13#post-294421
Sponsored

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So now I'll have an independent certified inspector examine the welds and we'll make this public and escalate with NHTSA. Not going to let this go. No brand new vehicle should have welds like this, slag, and unpainted areas of the frame. That isn't even considering the catastrophic nature of the track bar welds.

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
The State Attorney General is NOT an attorney you hire for litigation.. What should people say when referring to filling a State Attorney General complaint? Leave out the word Attorney so you don't confuse someone who has no clue what it is and what they do? Okay, who exactly is the State General and how do I contact them to file a complaint against a business?
Yeah I know who they are. But does an entry level call center employee? Hard to say.

I still would take it back to dealership first under warranty. Why escalate it if you don’t have too? Just my two cents.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Thats what happens when Russian Bots weld on Jeeps:cwl:

I can tell you from experience that FCA will not take care of you as a customer. Wait till they decide to replace your jeep and try to charge you for milage :angry:

My advice would be to call a 1-800-limon-law and do exactly what they tell you to do. Wont coast you a dime.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I know who they are. But does an entry level call center employee? Hard to say.
I do expect them to know exactly what a State Attorney General is and does if they are going to threaten people who mention the name. Are Jeep Wave employees really that under trained?

Dear Jeep Wave: The State Attorney General is basically the BBB where consumers can file complaints against businesses.. Please properly train your employees before they make idle threats to customers and disconnect calls.

See the description of the Washington State Attorney General here: (note: all States have similar verbiage)

https://www.atg.wa.gov/fileacomplaint.aspx

*snip*

We offer an informal complaint resolution service to Washington state residents, and to consumers with complaints about businesses located in Washington state. Through this process, we contact businesses to determine their response to consumer complaints. If a business refuses to respond or to make an adjustment, we cannot compel them to do so. We inform consumers of alternatives if our complaint resolution service is not successful.

The Attorney General's Office is authorized to bring legal action only in the name of the State of Washington, and is prohibited from serving as an attorney for individual consumers. We are further prohibited from giving advice, rendering opinions or interpretations, or conducting research on behalf of individuals

Sponsored

nel1551

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2017 Subaru Forester
So now I'll have an independent certified inspector examine the welds and we'll make this public and escalate with NHTSA. Not going to let this go. No brand new vehicle should have welds like this, slag, and unpainted areas of the frame. That isn't even considering the catastrophic nature of the track bar welds.

I want to know the results of this inspection. I haven't really looked over my welds but have been reading a ton about them being insufficient. Where is that one person "it's a jeep thing". LOL just kidding.

YaThatAintRight

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon "THE LLAMA"
Occupation
Automotive Instructional Designer
For the doubters

Already had it to a dealer for this...they brought in an uncertified person to inspect it. He snuck in...took a whooping 15-20 and snuck out. Then it was escalated and over 150 pics were sent to cares/waves. They looked at them with the colorado region head and the uncertified dbag from district and blew it off. Now they won't talk about it or do anything about it. These are my welds... https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-welding-issues.5446/page-13#post-294421
So I am still failing to understand how you thought a call center employee would somehow be able to fix this for you? The Colorado Region Head or whoever denied your warranty frame replacement is about 30 levels up from the call center employee.........so you were planning on sitting on the phone until you got transferred to who exactly? The point isn't "what's wrong with your Jeep" it is, "what the hell did you want the person on the phone to do for you?".

The AG isn't going to do shit for you, if you have your welds professionally inspected and deemed to be unfit then you need to hire a personal attorney. At that point YOU are completely out of the picture, your attorney can confer with FCA and get a replacement frame or vehicle. That is the only avenue in which you will see any type of short term success. If you want to wait for the AG or NHTSA to gather enough data to issue a recall notice or inspection notice, I hope you expect your welds to hold up for a year or two......and then wait for the backorder on frames that will ensue.

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, the only REAL way to check welds and penetration is with x-rays.
Totally agree that to really fully test the welds is via xray and dye. Problem is you'd have to sand off the paint surrounding the welds. So what I've been told is that a visual inspection is usually good enough to start the legal ball rolling and you don't have to remove paint from the frame and risk Jeep voiding your warranty (which is what they'd probably try to pull to cover this up). I'm not looking for a payout what-so-ever. I just expect a safe vehicle for my family that is going to hold up and not rust out the frame. Since every JLU i've seen in the last month (more than a dozen...looked at another 4 today with later, post February build dates that just arrived on the lot) has slag and porous welds I likely won't keep the '18 JLU. Not sure if I'll wait for a '19 and risk it again or just get a JK. Showed the new dealer the pics today and their jeep expert is floored. Then I took him out and showed him the same issues on the 4 JLU's that just arrived on their lot. I should have looked at the 2 door one's too but had to get to my daughters jiu-jitsu and kickboxing class.

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why does the paint need to be sanded for it to be x-rayed? Makes more sense that it would need to be "sanded" when visually inspecting.:like:

Maybe you can bill FCA for all this time spent "inspecting" JLs? In your lawsuit?
Inspectors said the do that to put the dye in. I prefer not to use lawyers...but if it comes to that so be it. Prefer the issue just be resolved but it would likely need a new frame which is time consuming and costly. Just ask ford, toyota and chevy when they recalled theirs.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Im curious how the X-ray works. I sell Radiology equipment for a living (20+ years in the field). All metal shows up as a solid black (dark part of the image) on a x-ray. Are they putting the dye in and then shooting x-ray on the welds to show leaks in the welds? Basically the dye will show the holes? Wouldn't the dye fill the holes like barium dose on swallow?

carolinaclan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU
The same thing happened to me with the steering issue .. Jeep Cares told me they would close my case if i went to an attorney. They wanted me to "arrange" a second opinion but only with another Jeep dealer that they wanted to "coordinate" it with. They weren't of any help anyways. Horrible experience with their anything but "cares"

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The same thing happened to me with the steering issue .. Jeep Cares told me they would close my case if i went to an attorney. They wanted me to "arrange" a second opinion but only with another Jeep dealer that they wanted to "coordinate" it with. They weren't of any help anyways. Horrible experience with their anything but "cares"
Does everyone not understand the minute you threaten a lawyer this is the response you will get - it will go under notes for your VIN and they won’t help you anymore because you are threatening to retain legal counsel. Calls and notes now become legal records.

I have read on one here of one tie rod failure possibly linked to a weld failure - out of the 87k Jeeps produces I haven’t seen or read anything about weld failures.

jeepnjam

First Name
Jameson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo...what’s the big deal anyway? Why all the recording and note taking?
It's called good documentation, should you ever need to prove the kind of effort you've made to get your vehicle fixed / replaced etc.

I'm not excited that I'm about to have to start this process in the state of GA.

Ljgunner

First Name
Kenneth J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Sahara and 2018 jl sport
On the phone with jeep cares agent today and he starts badgering me asking if i hired a lawyer. Stating that if i have, then jeep cares will no longer talk to me and mt 2 month old JLU Sport's warranty is void.

Wow...just wow.
I was told same thing my frame welds didn’t pass nhtsa but yet it made it out of factory
Sponsored