Thoughts, Opinions, Suggestions, Advice last but not least Criticism

Dragline

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2DR Rubicon
Well first post, here we go, I ordered a 21 Rubi 2dr see attached file, my 2nd Jeep 1st approx 14 yrs ago for a short time, so I’m not well versed in Jeep etiquette & builds in relationship to purpose, I have been reading the forum extensively watched countless YouTube videos (trail recon,lite brite, trail off-road Justin m etc). so heres the plan, Wife & I love Utah, Colorado & the west, southwest in general we plan staying during the winter for 3-4 months & summer trips & exploring backroads,trails, hiking etc. (Moab ; Elephant, Shafer tr. potash rd CO. Black Bear pass etc. as an example)plan is to flat tow behind the RV do trails all day (maybe overnight Jury’s still out) 4x4 trails off of the beaten paths, hike just explore no rock crawling maybe go watch others but I think you get the idea maybe we’re classified as Overlanding? Not sure; the idea is to set the jl up so I don’t have to worry about death wobble while towing? I was thinking of bumpers(LOD)-front & rear? rear lod with some fuel/water carriers, trail rack, ham radio bofang s9 plus- (getting licensed) or a cb?, a Lift?? 35’s??, winch?, intake exhaust, again I think you get the gist of my thinking, question is: am I over thinking/over building?, under thinking?, would stock be sufficient, I’m sure there will be some questions surrounding specific plans or ideas please ask I’ll answer ASAP, any and all input is Greatly appreciated.

FE75A688-C894-41DB-92F8-AD5E84DB33F2.jpeg
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I just bought a '21 Rubi 2-door with the intention of flat towing and doing some moderate crawling. Weight and stability are my primary concerns since the RV has a 5K towing limit and my wife is nervous about towing. Thus, I opted (so far) for aluminum bumpers (RockHard front and back), some misc skid plates, and keeping stock 33's and suspension. The RH front bumper has attachments for flat towing, so no need for any additional hardware and weight other than the two bar (BlueOx).

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I can tell you that if you get up high in CO & UT the 3.6 engine will feel very different than it does in Indiana. The 2.0t on the other hand will feel pretty much the same regardless of altitude. Not saying that the 3.6 is incapable by any means, it's a good engine, but you will definitely notice a loss of power at altitude (30% loss at 10,000ft). The 2.0t only loses 10% at that altitude and the 8-speed trans hides it completely.

So something to be aware of if you plan on driving elevated. And don't bother with the CB, the range is too short for anyone beyond your group. HAM and/or VHF-UHF.

OP
OP
Dragline

Dragline

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2DR Rubicon
I can tell you that if you get up high in CO & UT the 3.6 engine will feel very different than it does in Indiana. The 2.0t on the other hand will feel pretty much the same regardless of altitude. Not saying that the 3.6 is incapable by any means, it's a good engine, but you will definitely notice a loss of power at altitude (30% loss at 10,000ft). The 2.0t only loses 10% at that altitude and the 8-speed trans hides it completely.

So something to be aware of if you plan on driving elevated. And don't bother with the CB, the range is too short for anyone beyond your group. HAM and/or VHF-UHF.
Dang never even considered the altitude 🤔

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang never even considered the altitude 🤔
Yeah, I'm nearly always between 5-10k ft elevation. I went to the dealer thinking the 3.6 was a no-brainer. I surprised myself discovering the 2.0t was actually the no-brainer in the test drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dragline

Dragline

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2DR Rubicon
Yeah, I'm nearly always between 5-10k ft elevation. I went to the dealer thinking the 3.6 was a no-brainer. I surprised myself discovering the 2.0t was actually the no-brainer in the test drive.
I just never even gave it consideration & I actually know better! Day late dollar short

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The BSG on the 3.6 will give you a little extra low range boost at elevation. You will probably spend most of your time below 7500’ anyway, you will be okay.

The Rock Hard bumpers mentioned above are nice, and what I keep going back to when looking.

As for the rest? Drive it around for awhile first before you decide on expensive and extensive modifications. It may surprise you of just how capable it is.

In my opinion, the cold air intakes do nothing. The stock airbox/fliter flow more air volume than the engine needs even at wide open throttle.

If you bang your muffler up off road, you may want to look into a system with a smaller or relocated one. Replacing the exhiast doesn’t improve performance except at wide open throttle, and you’d be hard pressed to feel a difference other than the sound.

Ignore any 2 door vs 4 doors comments that may get posted in your thread.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My experience has been Rubicon with 4.10 axle gears, the 8 spd. auto. and lo range worked well in the rockies and even climbing the highest, Mt. Antero., Co.. The trail ends @ nearly 14,000 ft. and the 3.6 had more than enough power. It's flat towing with a non forced air motor that will suck. My 6.7 Cummins hardly knows its towing my JLR no matter the elevation and I've been over 10,000 ft. passes with no worries.
I have the Rockhard Patriot alum. ,BlueOx system and CoolTech wiring. No issues and 25K+ towing. My vehicles are in the links...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/4x4-rv.1794/

FYI, opinions aside, there Dyno run videos about CAI systems that prove a small gain can be made but the cost is high IMO. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wrngler+jl+jlt+intake

Last edited:

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Your Jeep is more than capable of doing what you propose “as is”. I do the same type stuff with my “S” with limited slip and Rubi takeoff wheels/tires. I’m running the Rockhard Patriot aluminum front and rear with the LOD brackets on front and a Smittybilt winch “in case”. Hooks up great to the Blueox and tows like it’s not even back there. Throw in some straps and folding shovel and you should be fine and still have some rescue capability IF you ever need it. You may want a “Spot” emergency transmitter/sat phone just in case. That’ll work Everywhere. Carry extra water and emergency food and you’re gold. Good luck and have fun😊

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I have lod bumpers front and rear. If I had it to do over again(which I might), I’d go aluminum for the front bumper at the least. if you do anything very hard, the rear seems to take the beating, not so much on the front. The lod stuff is well made, but on the heavy side.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dragline

Dragline

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2DR Rubicon
My experience has been Rubicon with 4.10 axle gears, the 8 spd. auto. and lo range worked well in the rockies and even climbing the highest, Mt. Antero., Co.. The trail ends @ nearly 14,000 ft. and the 3.6 had more than enough power. It's flat towing with a non forced air motor that will suck. My 6.7 Cummins hardly knows its towing my JLR no matter the elevation and I've been over 10,000 ft. passes with no worries.
I have the Rockhard Patriot alum. ,BlueOx system and CoolTech wiring. No issues and 25K+ towing. My vehicles are in the links...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/biscuit.1163/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/showcase/4x4-rv.1794/

FYI, opinions aside, there Dyno run videos about CAI systems that prove a small gain can be made but the cost is high IMO. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wrngler+jl+jlt+intake
we sold the Ram with 6.7 loved that truck/pwrplant going to upgrade to the L9 in a coach so towing will be unnoticeable love your setup for sure!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Man I learn so much in this forum. This city boy didn’t even know the high elevation affects the engines performance. I woulda thought my Jeep’s breaking down.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I learn so much in this forum. This city boy didn’t even know the high elevation affects the engines performance. I woulda thought my Jeep’s breaking down.
You would have, and you would think you're breaking down too. When I take sea level people up to 10,000' I always tell them to let me know if they need a breather rest. They think I'm being condescending like I think I'm some kind of Superman, until they're up there. You get tired much faster than you'd expect and you recover much faster than you'd expect. It happens to everyone when they change altitude that much. Your lungs literally need to catch up. Expect 3 days to feel somewhat normal at high elevation and 1 month to feel completely normal.
Sponsored