Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
  • Banned
My first Jeep and dream vehicle. 21 Rubicon with 2.0 turbo. I went in to Off road shop looking for a 2" lift but wanted 37's. After talking awhile and giving them info on my goals this is the set up we came up with. I wish I could do my own work but can't but also don't want to half ass anything> comfortable ride is a must to push this past the wifey. The price is hard to swallow but I just feel if I don't do it right and with 37's I will regret.

Sorry about pics, not good with that stuff.

Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on this quote for 3.5 lift on 21 JLU Rubicon IMG_2999
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on this quote for 3.5 lift on 21 JLU Rubicon IMG_3001
Sponsored

Last edited:

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Reviewing the labor charges:

Lift install 11 hours @$125 per hour seems not too excessive, usually anywhere you go it's going to be greater than or equal to $100 per hour. I have not installed this lift before but seems like looking at the pics the arms are not hard to adjust. I don't see that cutting is needed.

Labor on mount and balance of wheels and tires is fair.

Labor on tire carrier, again if it takes 2.5 hours to install, not bad.

If you are trying to get a lower price, ask them to drop the alignment charge. IMO 11 hours includes the adjustment of the arms.

The question to ask yourself:

1. Do you really want to go from stock to 37" tires and a 3.5" lift? Thats a big jump IMO.... I mean I totally get the buy one cry once mentality, have done so many times!

2. What will you be using the Jeep for? Do you really need that much lift (you don't have to answer the question here, its just food for thought).

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
You can fit 37s on a rubicon with a ~$300 spacer lift. You dont NEED a tire carrier. I carry my 37 with a reinforcement kit and relocation bracket $200. 3.5 and higher lift is ALOT of lift, opening up other parts that will need to be addressed, driveshafts for example. Here is mine on the 2.5 AEV Dualsport with 37s. Wheels, tires, lift and a couple odds and ends was leas than $5k. I installed it myself, so $1k for install is about average. I suggest researching more lifts and prices before just jumping in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on this quote for 3.5 lift on 21 JLU Rubicon 0F08E7F1-DD07-45F9-839D-329968888AA2

OP
OP
Devil6Dog

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Thanks for the feedback, that's why I come here. I really like the look of 37 but probably just as happy with a 2 " and 35's. I mean I will be on pavement 80% of the time at least.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
There is zero reason to buy a Teraflex lift kit as they are mediocre in quality. You are paying 6k for the kit and install - way too high.

If you want cheap go Rancho. Real lift kit and will perform well.

If you are really into off-roading and want something more "premium" consider MC, RK, RJ, Clayton or one of the other higher quality kits. Will be a lot better than Teraflex but similar price.

Check if your local Jeep club does lift-kit install weekends. Cheap way to get a lift installed and learn how to work on your Jeep.

Sponsored

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I am a fan of the Teraflex Alpine IR control arms, but the kit you have quoted out includes the Alpine arms, NOT the Alpine IR arms. I would not spend the money on the non IR arms.

i am currently running the Rancho 2.5/ 3.5 lift along with a full set of the Teraflex Alpine IR control arms.

very happy with it.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Price is not bad as far as labor. Lift totally depends on you. If you are not hard core wheeling that will be fine. My neighbor has the same lift, I drove his and then my JLUR with the Metalcloak 3.5 lift. We both feel that my lift rides better than his on road. I have not seen his perform off road yet and am breaking mine in starting tomorrow in Moab. It is a bit more than a $1,000 difference in the kits if you go with the MC basic shock.

You can get away without a tire carrier, but why? I have personally witnessed a few bending/denting the rear tailgate with 37"s. I have to think that a new tailgate is more than the $1,000 you are paying above. I do question the labor on that one, not so much the rate or time, but they are not that difficult to install and you could save some money putting it on yourself.

Penguinking

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR 4xe
My first Jeep and dream vehicle. 21 Rubicon with 2.0 turbo. I went in to Off road shop looking for a 2" lift but wanted 37's. After talking awhile and giving them info on my goals this is the set up we came up with. I wish I could do my own work but can't but also don't want to half ass anything> comfortable ride is a must to push this past the wifey. The price is hard to swallow but I just feel if I don't do it right and with 37's I will regret.

Thanks
I personally was in the same boat when I had my JKR and wanted to take it into a shop for to get the lift installed. I ended up watching a ton of Youtube videos and with the help of a buddy, got through it just fine... but it also taught me a lot about my Jeep. I think most would agree that by doing it yourself you can better troubleshoot something that goes wrong with your rig in the middle of nowhere. I'd also agree with @oceanblue2019 to go with an MC or Clayton lift, to see if any friends or an off road group can help with the install or just working & learning it yourself.

With that, not to convince you to switch lifts or anything, but for example, the MC lift would literally save you $600... which includes the lift, their shocks, and a new front driveshaft (not sure if you get a driveshaft out of the Alpine or not). When I end up lifting my Jeep, I plan on going with the MC 2.5 & 35s (or K02 37s since they run a bit shorter). I'm mainly going with MC for the quality but also the only difference between the 2.5 and 3.5 lift were the springs (if you use their shocks). So if I did get to that point where I felt I want/am ready to go up to 3.5, then I would only be out a little over $400 for the springs plus a new alignment.

Not sure where you are on experience with Wranglers & your off-road demands, but if you haven't done so already, I'd definitely recommend riding with someone in their Jeep that has a lift installed you want. You'll get a better feel for yourself on what you like more. I personally can't attest to Alpine since I've never had it or drove with it, but I know quite a few people on the forum can vouch for MC, RK or Clayton quality on and off the road.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on this quote for 3.5 lift on 21 JLU Rubicon 0F08E7F1-DD07-45F9-839D-329968888AA2
That kit is going to be pretty firm on the road, even on the softest setting on the shocks. I’d look at some different options IMO.

OP
OP
Devil6Dog

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally was in the same boat when I had my JKR and wanted to take it into a shop for to get the lift installed. I ended up watching a ton of Youtube videos and with the help of a buddy, got through it just fine... but it also taught me a lot about my Jeep. I think most would agree that by doing it yourself you can better troubleshoot something that goes wrong with your rig in the middle of nowhere. I'd also agree with @oceanblue2019 to go with an MC or Clayton lift, to see if any friends or an off road group can help with the install or just working & learning it yourself.

With that, not to convince you to switch lifts or anything, but for example, the MC lift would literally save you $600... which includes the lift, their shocks, and a new front driveshaft (not sure if you get a driveshaft out of the Alpine or not). When I end up lifting my Jeep, I plan on going with the MC 2.5 & 35s (or K02 37s since they run a bit shorter). I'm mainly going with MC for the quality but also the only difference between the 2.5 and 3.5 lift were the springs (if you use their shocks). So if I did get to that point where I felt I want/am ready to go up to 3.5, then I would only be out a little over $400 for the springs plus a new alignment.

Not sure where you are on experience with Wranglers & your off-road demands, but if you haven't done so already, I'd definitely recommend riding with someone in their Jeep that has a lift installed you want. You'll get a better feel for yourself on what you like more. I personally can't attest to Alpine since I've never had it or drove with it, but I know quite a few people on the forum can vouch for MC, RK or Clayton quality on and off the road.
Thanks for the feedback. Everyone. I am definitely going to be more patient and try and do some ride alongs.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the feedback. Everyone. I am definitely going to be more patient and try and do some ride alongs.
I lived in Mesa for 20 years, 20 years ago, lol. Is Fly-N-Hi still in business, maybe get a quote from them. They used to be one of best around. Don’t know about now. Lol.

OP
OP
Devil6Dog

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I lived in Mesa for 20 years, 20 years ago, lol. Is Fly-N-Hi still in business, maybe get a quote from them. They used to be one of best around. Don’t know about now. Lol.
Yes they are. I’ll go talk to them. Soon. Going to take a little more time. Thanks

Penguinking

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR 4xe
Almost forgot to mention, whichever lift you ultimately decide on you should reach out to the sponsor on the forum or call their ordering/customer service. Potentially could get a 5-10% discount depending on a holiday, military, or forum discount. If you do end up going with a shop for the install, you'd just need to make sure they'd install one you buy... but it would help save a little to put towards your next purchase (or gas money after the lift haha).

OP
OP
Devil6Dog

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Almost forgot to mention, whichever lift you ultimately decide on you should reach out to the sponsor on the forum or call their ordering/customer service. Potentially could get a 5-10% discount depending on a holiday, military, or forum discount. If you do end up going with a shop for the install, you'd just need to make sure they'd install one you buy... but it would help save a little to put towards your next purchase (or gas money after the lift haha).
Right on, thank you

backs1de

First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon - 3.6l Auto - Stingrey
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Biomed Engineer
Clubs

That lift is bit much for a 80% on road in my opinion, I would look at the 2.5” endurosport lift or 2.5” aev kit, or if you have to have teraflex look at their ST/2 2.5” kit and save yourself a lot of money. Specially with labor most shops can install those kits in like 3-4 hours.

for shocks I would do the fox2.0 shocks and save yourself $700, if you must go with teraflex get their 2.1 shocks you don’t NEED adjustable shocks.

Install the tire carrier yourself, it will take you 2 hours max.

checkout northride4x4 and use the discount code “jlwranglerforums” for 10% off and find a local shop to install it if you don’t feel comfortable doing it, but most of these entry kits are super easy to install since there is no adjustments to do on the control arms everything is fixed.
Sponsored