Thoughts on this Lift Idea - 2018 JLUS

VTSpam

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed
So I am new here... recently got my first Jeep and want to do a lift and put on some 33s with the idea of upgrading to 35s down the road when I want to pay for re-gearing. Looking for a budget friendly way to get this done. Was speaking with my brother in law and came up with this.

My Jeep - 2018 JL Sahara 3.6 Manual
  1. Upgrade the JLUS with a complete Rubi takeoff suspension. This will provide about 3/4 - 1 inch of lift to the Jeep. Cost ~$300
  2. Add Teraflex 1.5 inch Performance Lift (https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5b6331a456d70ed493a48728). Cost ~$160
  3. Ballpark total cost of lift $500. Labor ... would do it myself
Together this should lift the JLUS 2-2.5 inches, right?

Since I would like to go to 35s down the road, I’d rather not spend a fortune on 33s only to lose a lot of their value when i try to resell. What if I bought some takeoff Rubis for ~$1000-~$1200. Then, downt he road, when I want to re-gear and upgrade the size, I can sell the Rubi wheels for a price not too far from what I originally paid for them.

This makes a total cost to get the 2.5” lift to be under $2000 and that is before I sell the stock Sahara wheels and tires for a few hundred.

Thoughts? This will be a beach vehicle in the Outer Banks of NC. The off-roading it will experience is in the 4x4 area and on the beach/ in sand.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not a bad idea, keeping the stock wheels w/ +44 offset keeps the wheel/tire close to the inner fender/suspension so you may want/need wheel spacers when you go to 35s.

It's an easy install, and you can often get Rubi suspension in the $150 range. You will need the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs to keep your caster in the 6 degree range, they're only another $80.

Here's my install thread on both (LCAs in post #4).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
So I am new here... recently got my first Jeep and want to do a lift and put on some 33s with the idea of upgrading to 35s down the road when I want to pay for re-gearing. Looking for a budget friendly way to get this done. Was speaking with my brother in law and came up with this.

My Jeep - 2018 JL Sahara 3.6 Manual
  1. Upgrade the JLUS with a complete Rubi takeoff suspension. This will provide about 3/4 - 1 inch of lift to the Jeep. Cost ~$300
  2. Add Teraflex 1.5 inch Performance Lift (https://teraflex.com/shop_items/5b6331a456d70ed493a48728). Cost ~$160
  3. Ballpark total cost of lift $500. Labor ... would do it myself
Together this should lift the JLUS 2-2.5 inches, right?

Since I would like to go to 35s down the road, I’d rather not spend a fortune on 33s only to lose a lot of their value when i try to resell. What if I bought some takeoff Rubis for ~$1000-~$1200. Then, downt he road, when I want to re-gear and upgrade the size, I can sell the Rubi wheels for a price not too far from what I originally paid for them.

This makes a total cost to get the 2.5” lift to be under $2000 and that is before I sell the stock Sahara wheels and tires for a few hundred.

Thoughts? This will be a beach vehicle in the Outer Banks of NC. The off-roading it will experience is in the 4x4 area and on the beach/ in sand.
Rubi take off isn’t a bad idea. I went with a rough country 2.5” budget boost. $200 for parts and install myself. Got 35x12.5x17 on my 19 sport s. I wheel it monthly on rocks so I’d see no issues with this setup for beach driving.

8E308717-CABC-4CEA-A975-437117FDE472.jpeg

ECEDEDD5-951C-40C6-A1D3-8439BDEA8294.jpeg

73ABE75D-D345-4D86-B59E-C139EB51E639.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
With your 6MT you might keep an eye on the site classifieds for Rubi takeoff axles, might be at the right place right time and score them for a nice deal. If you can get them for $3k you're doing better than paying 2k for a re-gear on weaker axles w/ no lockers or sway disconnects.

OP
OP
VTSpam

VTSpam

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed
Not a bad idea, keeping the stock wheels w/ +44 offset keeps the wheel/tire close to the inner fender/suspension so you may want/need wheel spacers when you go to 35s.

It's an easy install, and you can often get Rubi suspension in the $150 range. You will need the slightly longer Mopar lift LCAs to keep your caster in the 6 degree range, they're only another $80.

Here's my install thread on both (LCAs in post #4).

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
That’s a great write up! will definitely leverage it when the time comes! Appreciate the input.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VTSpam

VTSpam

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed
With your 6MT you might keep an eye on the site classifieds for Rubi takeoff axles, might be at the right place right time and score them for a nice deal. If you can get them for $3k you're doing better than paying 2k for a re-gear on weaker axles w/ no lockers or sway disconnects.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will keep in mind when that time comes!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Rubi take off axles won’t get you the sway bar disco, it’s frame mounted. I’d go with a spring lift like the teraflex base kit, as we learned the hard way that the 2.5” spacer lift leaves you with springs that are too soft for big tires or heavy loads. The teraflex kit is ~$600 so only a bit more than your original plan. Since installing the spacer kit we’ve added new metal cloak rocksport shocks and swapped the rear spacer out for 2.5” springs. Also added wheel spacers and a rear track bar drop bracket to fix all the shortcomings of the budget build. Front coils and lca’s will be next and bring our total cost pretty close to that of a higher end complete system. It’s usually cheaper in the long run to do it right the first time.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I'm more impressed you found a Sahara with a manual. When I was looking to buy the Sahara's were all exclusively automatic.
Sponsored