Thoughts on Tan Soft Top

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Tacoma, 04 Sienna, 06 Suzuki Boulevard
Occupation
Healthcare
Looking at different JL coloring schemes, our initial pick is Blue exterior, black premium top and black interior. The other color scheme that I'm fond of is white exterior with Tan premium top and either black or tan interior. It's a light look that I'm really digging.

How do the tan premium tops hold up in longevity and cleanliness? I worry that the tan may show signs of dirt, mold or fading worse than the black but I don't really know for sure. Any other negatives associated with tan colored soft tops?

Being located in Florida, the sun beats down hard almost all year. The lighter coloring scheme would help a bit with reducing the heat up of the vehicle inside I would think. Our Jeep would be parked outside uncovered so thats a factor.

Not sure on tan interior. Tan looks nice but constant contact with riders, food and drink, can make the tan interior too difficult to keep clean. I can always throw on some tan seat covers over black seats if I want the look.

Thx

mfRT043.jpg

WkKyrRc.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
I'm not going with a tan top because I would worry about it showing dirt (as you mentioned).

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I really like the white with the tan top, but I had that combo on a previous Jeep and the Top was hard to keep clean. Plus I really don't care for the color of the tan interior and the fact that it is not all tan. the center console, doors are black and the mix is unappealing to me. But.... that is my subjective opinion, and perhaps this material top is easier to keep clean than my old jeep.

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
I'm interested the answer to your question on how the Tan tops hold up as well since I prefer the look of the blue with tan top.

Anyone on the forum running a tan top on a '16 or '17 care to share their experience.

OP
OP
Orly

Orly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Tacoma, 04 Sienna, 06 Suzuki Boulevard
Occupation
Healthcare
From the small amount of info I've been able to gather, some agree that tan tops, in general, do not stay clean for very long. It's even been suggested that in rainy, humid climates like mine, mold can be an issue. Stains also hard to remove.

Even though I really like the White/Tan color scheme I'm a practical guy and common sense tells me to stick with the black top and interior along with the blue paint job. In the long run it will payoff as compared to light colored staining issues. I need this Jeep to last me a long time. If I were leasing then it would'nt matter nearly as much.

Sponsored

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I love the look of the white Jeep with the tan top in the photo at the top of this thread.

However I am not a fan of a soft top.

Can a black hard top be painted afterwards? Is the hard top made of fibreglass?

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Where you from? I've never seen black dirt

I mean, I've seen black dirt but only if its wet
I’ve spent my entire life in the middle Atlantic and the dirt here leans way in the direction of black when comparing it to tan. Someday when you go to Home Depot, get yourself a bag of topsoil and take a look at the color. That’s what we got here. Basically black.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Here is another thread where tan soft tops were discussed, with some pictures. If you like the way it looks, order away. For me, if you do go tan, I would avoid some colors, and also go with body colored fenders. Otherwise it may look to busy with the tan top/body color/black fenders.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tan-soft-tops.17860/

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I love the look of the white Jeep with the tan top in the photo at the top of this thread.

However I am not a fan of a soft top.

Can a black hard top be painted afterwards? Is the hard top made of fibreglass?
I'll say yes Joe. The reason I'll say so is that all hard tops are painted, and the black matching the body color one is painted differently (I don't know the specifics beyond maybe more sheen) than the black one that doesn't expressly match the body color.)

Said another way, a black colored Wrangler that doesn't get the body colored hard top gets a different version of a black top, I'm to understand, than the black colored Wrangler that does.

And since paint can be removed/painted over....I'd imagine a hard top could be repainted, given the caveats that vendor/DIY quality may vary between vendors and the factory.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I’ve spent my entire life in the middle Atlantic and the dirt here leans way in the direction of black when comparing it to tan. Someday when you go to Home Depot, get yourself a bag of topsoil and take a look at the color. That’s what we got here. Basically black.
Same in the Midwest. If you get mud all over it from off-roading, it's going to be black. But most "road dirt" (from gravel or paved roads) will show as more light brown color on a vehicle.
Sponsored