Sponsored

Thoughts on Roadmaster exact center for flat towing/death wobble?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

This is an interesting idea I saw on the Roadmaster website. I happened to be on there looking for something else and spotted it. My JLUR is set up for flat towing and I will be testing it out my set up next week. Unfortunately, it looks like this probably has to be installed horizontally vs at an angle. I have the MetalCloak steering set up which is at a slight angle so not sure if it would work or not. It does look like it would bolt on in place of my MC steering stablizer as the mounts are really beefy from MC, I would just have to move the knuckle down further.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php#ec-fits
Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
That is actually pretty interesting, I think the Jl actually needs some pressure on the steering linkage. If you try this please update the post. The only concern I would have is the replacement bracket they use looks to move the mount further over. I would check the measurements of your MC stabilizer when it is centered and compare that to the length of this. This looks to be several inches longer.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the link! I did not know the thread was out there, duh!
Jason33 I invented gas-assisted centering stabilizers and the Exact Center Centering stabilizer. Today you can mount the Exact Center in any position. Long ago and even now on basic gas springs, you need to mount them rod down to keep oil on seals so they do not dry out. In 1998 with the first two-way centering gas spring stabilizer we changed this by adding two seals and a grease layer between seals. This product can work exactly the same in any position. We have done over 100 prototype installs and only a few have been horizontal fewer have been near vertical, most are tilted somewhat. You can be creative and even do remote mounts using aids like Morse cables and Bell cranks with linkage. If the hook up you make causes the gas spring EC to compress or elongate with wheel turn it will cause the steering to have a firm center. You need to get rid of all slack in whatever setup you make and if you do you should get the results you want.

Sponsored

Roadmaster

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota PU

JohnD22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Eric
I have plans to see if Roky can contact the E4 electric Wrangler guys who have Death wobble, find out what mods they have, and see if they want to test our device. I do need my requested units with more pressure before we can help many. I will learn more from Roky if he gets to test the base unit per plans.
I have an electric wrangler and would be happy to test. I am currently using a falcon damper, teraflex tie rod, and steersmarts draglink.

JohnD22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
I have an electric wrangler and would be happy to test. I am currently using a falcon damper, teraflex tie rod, and steersmarts draglink.
I will wait for Roky, but maybe you can answer some questions.
Do you have tire mods, lifts, etc. do you have death wobble?

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I will wait for Roky, but maybe you can answer some questions.
Do you have tire mods, lifts, etc. do you have death wobble?
35" tires
synergy wheel spacers
Falcon 2.2 steering Damper
Teraflex Alpine IR adjustable control arms
Teraflex Tie Rod
Steersmarts Drag link with Griffin attenuator
Teraflex 1.5" coil spacers

I have not had any death wobble since installing the Drag link with the Griffin attenuator / shock on it. (although it was not true death wobble, more the classic CONSTANT input required on the steering wheel)

I am happy to remove the griffin shock from the drag link, and try this in place of the Falcon damper.

I also tow this behind my RV.

Sponsored

JohnD22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
35" tires
synergy wheel spacers
Falcon 2.2 steering Damper
Teraflex Alpine IR adjustable control arms
Teraflex Tie Rod
Steersmarts Drag link with Griffin attenuator
Teraflex 1.5" coil spacers

I have not had any death wobble since installing the Drag link with the Griffin attenuator / shock on it. (although it was not true death wobble, more the classic CONSTANT input required on the steering wheel)

I am happy to remove the griffin shock from the drag link, and try this in place of the Falcon damper.

I also tow this behind my RV.
Give me some time, I have 4 pressure sizes coming to test on my 2021 392 XR, I need to see what pressure I need as I too will be towing behind my RV.
Where do you live? Omaha ? That is not too close. Give me more time as there are guys with bigger problems and we only have so many test units.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Give me some time, I have 4 pressure sizes coming to test on my 2021 392 XR, I need to see what pressure I need as I too will be towing behind my RV.
Where do you live? Omaha ? That is not too close. Give me more time as there are guys with bigger problems and we only have so many test units.
Understood. I am also looking for one for my 40' RV based on the Ford F53 26k chassis.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Understood. I am also looking for one for my 40' RV based on the Ford F53 26k chassis.
Roadmaster should have stock for that chassis soon. I invented the device and during the development, my son did 3 F53 Fords at Etrailer in St Louis. If it is not too much trouble will you pass along the specs that RM gives you for your RV? I have a Dynamax Isatta 5 28SS explorer on a Ram 5500 4WD Cummins 6.7. I put a 220 lb unit on mine. I am 31 feet but heavier on rating at 37000 GVWR but it weighs only 21000 with 12000 hitch.
Do you have a 5 Star tuner? It makes a huge change on the Ford V10. $500, but I thought it was money well spent. My son and I had that motor in a couple RV's he still has his, the class C in the backing video. On your Wrangler give me some time I will not forget.

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2020 Ram 5500 2020 Lincoln Aviato
This is an interesting idea I saw on the Roadmaster website. I happened to be on there looking for something else and spotted it. My JLUR is set up for flat towing and I will be testing it out my set up next week. Unfortunately, it looks like this probably has to be installed horizontally vs at an angle. I have the MetalCloak steering set up which is at a slight angle so not sure if it would work or not. It does look like it would bolt on in place of my MC steering stablizer as the mounts are really beefy from MC, I would just have to move the knuckle down further.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php#ec-fits
Jason are you up to do the testing I asked about
Email [email protected]
Sponsored