Thoughts on Roadmaster exact center for flat towing/death wobble?

JeepinJason33

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6 with Etorque - just starting build. 2019 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2001 XJ mild build, 97 TJ supercharged, Atlas, cage, 1 tons, OBA etc. 83 Cherokee Chief Restored
This is an interesting idea I saw on the Roadmaster website. I happened to be on there looking for something else and spotted it. My JLUR is set up for flat towing and I will be testing it out my set up next week. Unfortunately, it looks like this probably has to be installed horizontally vs at an angle. I have the MetalCloak steering set up which is at a slight angle so not sure if it would work or not. It does look like it would bolt on in place of my MC steering stablizer as the mounts are really beefy from MC, I would just have to move the knuckle down further.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/exactcenter.php#ec-fits
Advertisement

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
That is actually pretty interesting, I think the Jl actually needs some pressure on the steering linkage. If you try this please update the post. The only concern I would have is the replacement bracket they use looks to move the mount further over. I would check the measurements of your MC stabilizer when it is centered and compare that to the length of this. This looks to be several inches longer.

OP
OP
JeepinJason33

JeepinJason33

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6 with Etorque - just starting build. 2019 Grand Cherokee SRT, 2001 XJ mild build, 97 TJ supercharged, Atlas, cage, 1 tons, OBA etc. 83 Cherokee Chief Restored

jdshep1

First Name
johnd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlr
Thanks for the link! I did not know the thread was out there, duh!
Jason33 I invented gas-assisted centering stabilizers and the Exact Center Centering stabilizer. Today you can mount the Exact Center in any position. Long ago and even now on basic gas springs, you need to mount them rod down to keep oil on seals so they do not dry out. In 1998 with the first two-way centering gas spring stabilizer we changed this by adding two seals and a grease layer between seals. This product can work exactly the same in any position. We have done over 100 prototype installs and only a few have been horizontal fewer have been near vertical, most are tilted somewhat. You can be creative and even do remote mounts using aids like Morse cables and Bell cranks with linkage. If the hook up you make causes the gas spring EC to compress or elongate with wheel turn it will cause the steering to have a firm center. You need to get rid of all slack in whatever setup you make and if you do you should get the results you want.

Advertisement

Gibson Leatherworks

Advertisement