Thoughts on road tripping a wrangler

zer0t

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
I'm posting this in the 4xe forum because it's the model I am most interested in. I currently have a Ford F150 lightning and have received a ridiculous offer that makes me feel compelled to sell it. I really like it but, as I've learned, I don't like anything that much.

I'm looking at getting a PHEV Wrangler because I really like Jeeps, the PHEV has the tax credit available and the drive train gets great reviews. I mostly drive about 8 miles round trip to work so I can do that on electric only. I have L2 chargning at my house so it can be fresh every day for that.

While enjoy driving wranglers here's the one rub. I make one or two round trips a year to my home on Amelia Island FL from central NJ which is about 930 miles each way down I95. I take my wfie a few items and my 25lb French BUlldog. I've never really thought about long trips in a wrangler. Am I in for a complete beat down and should possibly look at somehting else? I"m not sure I like anything else as much and when I go to the dealer again I may check out the GC Trailhawk 4xe but it doesn't get me as excited.

Really this is about geting something cool, functional and saving a ton of money.

Thanks all. I've been lurking for sometime and this is my first post. Cheers Rob
Sponsored

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
If you're used to driving a truck, I don't think you'll have any complaints about road tripping in a Wrangler 4xe (except for payload space)
We've been driving our Jeeps from Ohio to Utah and back, once or twice a year since 2009. The 4xe is by far the most comfortable, pleasant, civilized, easy to handle of the Jeeps we've had. I'm convinced that the lower center of gravity that the hv battery gives it is the reason for that. It rides smoothly and handles well and the acceleration is positively giggle-inducing.
We run a hard top so have the quietest option there, and are still on stock tires and suspension on our Rubicon. Even so, it's an absolute beast offroad.

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
We bought our ā€˜22 specifically for road tripping. I donā€™t have the 4xe, went with the ecodiesel, but weā€™ve racked up 15k miles in 6 months including 2 trips to Florida, 1 to Georgia, and 1 to the Carolinas all from Ohio. Itā€™s a blast to drive and we often drive for hours with the freedom panels removed.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
A Wrangler isnā€™t a Lincoln Continental, but itā€™s more than adequate for road trips. Very versatile, lots of storage.

Sponsored

OP
OP

zer0t

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking
A Wrangler isnā€™t a Lincoln Continental, but itā€™s more than adequate for road trips. Very versatile, lots of storage.
My expectations are tempered, I raod tripped my Ram Power Wagon which was a beast to drive on the pavement. I just don't want to recreate that. And I really want adaptive cruise control which the models I looked at seemed to have. :)

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The current generations of Wrangler arenā€™t like the old CJs, YJā€™s or TJā€™s.
They are as roadtrip friendly as any other comparable size SUV.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That was a legitimate concern back in the CJ, YJ, TJs. Much less with JKs. But not much of a concern at all with JLs. The JL is by far the best behaved Jeep on the highway. It is LFA, not IFS, so it still doesn't quite drive like a car or IFS truck. The JL is still a Jeep but it's not bad at all for long highway trips. Especially if you have the auto trans, ACC and the Advanced Safety Package. That's all about highway manners.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Longest trip I took was 800 miles. Wasnā€™t bad, but yes space is limited. For 2 + a pups, easy for 4 + a pups - gets tricky. Road manners are not IFS but they werenā€™t bad. Road noise was the biggest difference, I have a Rubicon with the Mopar insulated hard top, still a much louder veh inside than my previous grand Cherokee.

all stock itā€™s mind blowing what these things can do when the pavement ends! And other than the initial QC issues and early bugs of the first model year - Iā€™ve loved it.

one word of caution- if it goes down for anything, and I mean anything - you are unlikely to get it fixed in under a week. And their free rental or loaner car claim is straight bullshit

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Rob, I long-haul road trip my JLU and find it very enjoyable. In the first year I did a 4,600 mile loop from Colorado to PNW, down the West Coast, across Nevada/Utah and home again. Averaged about 300-350 miles/day with no issues, discomfort what so ever. Most of the trip was on two-lane back roads. Second year did 3K+ from Colorado to Toledo and back, almost all on interstate. Sounds like you're making good decisions in terms of features. I'd say get what you really want and enjoy it. As others have said, it's no Lincoln, but definitely a huge improvement over previous models. You might benefit from a head liner too... cuts down any additional road/wind noise just a bit. Have fun.

Sponsored

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
I'm posting this in the 4xe forum because it's the model I am most interested in. I currently have a Ford F150 lightning and have received a ridiculous offer that makes me feel compelled to sell it. I really like it but, as I've learned, I don't like anything that much.

I'm looking at getting a PHEV Wrangler because I really like Jeeps, the PHEV has the tax credit available and the drive train gets great reviews. I mostly drive about 8 miles round trip to work so I can do that on electric only. I have L2 chargning at my house so it can be fresh every day for that.

While enjoy driving wranglers here's the one rub. I make one or two round trips a year to my home on Amelia Island FL from central NJ which is about 930 miles each way down I95. I take my wfie a few items and my 25lb French BUlldog. I've never really thought about long trips in a wrangler. Am I in for a complete beat down and should possibly look at somehting else? I"m not sure I like anything else as much and when I go to the dealer again I may check out the GC Trailhawk 4xe but it doesn't get me as excited.

Really this is about geting something cool, functional and saving a ton of money.

Thanks all. I've been lurking for sometime and this is my first post. Cheers Rob
I had zero issues road tripping in my 22 sport altitude. In fact I rented a Chrysler 300 for an 18 hour round trip excursion and to be honest, I missed my Jeep. We did an Oregon coast trip with another couple a few months ago from Idaho in my friends loaded F-150, I did most of the driving up and down the coast. I missed my Jeep. The sport altitude was totaled (long story), I have a Rubicon ordered. I had a rental for a month waiting on the insurance co, a newer Ram 1500 and took that on a road trip. I missed the Jeep.

The Wrangler will not be as quiet or ride as smooth as the GC but it is hands down the funnest rig I've ever driven. Then you add all of the Wrangler stuff, driving with the freedom panels removed, top off doors off, etc., it gets even better.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Wife and I have travelled from Eastern Nebraska to Western Colorado for camping (lived out of our 2dr and tent for ten days.) Drove again last summer out to Moab through Wyoming and down through Salt Lake to rendezvous with my daughter and son in law....we love traveling in the Jeep....we find it very comfy.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
If you are sensitive to noise (assuming you are travelling highway), then it probably isn't ideal. If not, then you will be fine. They ride great, the newer ones seem to mostly have the steering issues handled.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Rent one to test drive. The live axle and steering feel can be off putting if you havenā€™t had something similar before. Since you are in the Mid-Atlantic like me, donā€™t expect to drive in all electric at all for the winter months.

Dealership support will be limited; around here, itā€™s only one trained tech per dealership. Parts are also hard to come by. Still waiting one month for a steering damper (original ETA 11/30). Itā€™s a FCA product, know that things will need to be replaced early. Be prepared to figure out your own rental or loaner accommodations.

Specific to the federal tax incentive: old rules apply through end of 2022. New rule for eligibility based on income starts in 2023, and battery eligibility rules kick in March of 2023.

Having said all of thatā€¦ Iā€™d recommend getting a standard gas model for road tripping.
Sponsored