First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I've seen on forums that their are a couple of dealers in N Cal that offer 12% every day of the week. I used to be an F&I Mgr at a multi-brand dealership. There are all kinds of ways to get money out of you. My last two Jeeps I not only negotiated an extremely low price but I also refused to pay their $599 doc fee or the $1500 they wanted for paint protector, fabric protector and tinted windows (all of these cost the dealer less than $125). After walking out of the door twice, they agreed to my terms. It all depends on how much patience you have and how much time you have to play their game. Most of the time they will wear out the buyer before you an get the best deal. Some people think it is worth letting $1000 to $2000 on the table to just ask for the best deal up front and ending it all after a half an hour. Me I will spend two hours at the table to save the extra money. I also like to pit two or three dealers against each other. Dealers don't like to be out-priced by the competition,, word of mount travels when you get a better deal somewhere else. Now from the dealers point of view, most buyers are lay downs, lead that camel to water and it will drink. Moral of the story, you can be the sheep or you can be the wolf.
Sponsored

Gregicon

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I've seen on forums that their are a couple of dealers in N Cal that offer 12% every day of the week. I used to be an F&I Mgr at a multi-brand dealership. There are all kinds of ways to get money out of you. My last two Jeeps I not only negotiated an extremely low price but I also refused to pay their $599 doc fee or the $1500 they wanted for paint protector, fabric protector and tinted windows (all of these cost the dealer less than $125). After walking out of the door twice, they agreed to my terms. It all depends on how much patience you have and how much time you have to play their game. Most of the time they will wear out the buyer before you an get the best deal. Some people think it is worth letting $1000 to $2000 on the table to just ask for the best deal up front and ending it all after a half an hour. Me I will spend two hours at the table to save the extra money. I also like to pit two or three dealers against each other. Dealers don't like to be out-priced by the competition,, word of mount travels when you get a better deal somewhere else. Now from the dealers point of view, most buyers are lay downs, lead that camel to water and it will drink. Moral of the story, you can be the sheep or you can be the wolf.
This is great advice - I've been using similar tactics since 1993, when I bought my first brand new Land Cruiser after 2 MONTHS of negotiations - for 8K below sticker.

If you can get pre-approved financing, are willing to walk away, and realize there will always be another dealership, another vehicle that catches your eye, you can crush your deal...it just takes a little time.

If I know I'm going to buy another car, I usually start my research about a year ahead of time...so that when I get to a dealership, it's the sales guy - not me - who brought a knife to a gun fight.

OP
OP
acheron800

acheron800

First Name
FJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser
And im back!

Man oh man how prices have gone up but after seeing the 2024 refresh. I might be game again.

FJ has 28k on it now and is worth anywhere from 55-75k. But I wont be selling it, I just cant handle it.

So here I am. Looking at a $70k Rubicon X to tow behind the motorhome and take my boys offroading and truck camping because I cant bear to take the FJ in the dirt.

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Keep your FJ, and trail it a bit...
Sponsored