Thoughts on Buying a Used JLU??

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Hey everyone. So I'm trying to decide between two Jeeps...one is a new 2020 Rubicon in Punk'n with all the options I want. It's at a dealership 5 hours away. The other is a used 2019 Sahara (14,000 miles) that's about 5 miles away, with almost all the options I want (minus the Trailer Tow Package). It's about $12,000 less than the Rubi.

Rubicon Options
*8.4 Alpine
*LED package
*Leather
*Trailer Tow package
*Safety and Advanced Safety Groups
*Steel Bumper
*Remote Start
*Painted Fenders, black hardtop

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Buying a Used JLU?? IMG_6793
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Buying a Used JLU?? IMG_6792

Sahara Options
*8.4 Alpine
*LED package
*Leather
*Cold Weather (heated seats and remote start)
*Painted fenders and Painted Hardop
The above is from the factory. The dealer added a 3 inch Pro Comp lift, 33 bfgoodrich k02s and 17 inch fuel rims.

Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Buying a Used JLU?? IMG_6794.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts on Buying a Used JLU?? IMG_6795.JPG

My main concern is buying used. Any tips ya'll can provide on what to look for? Any thoughts on the lift/tire setup that the Sahara has?

Would love to get some opinions on this. Thanks in advance :).
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
If the cost of the Rubicon is within your budget I would negotiate a good deal and purchase the Rubicon. The steel bumpers, safety packages, and tow package are nice to have and the last 2 are hard to retrofit as well as the lockers, dana 44s, and sway bar disconnect. Take a look and drive the Sahara and see if you like the way it drives and rides with the dealer lift and then drive a new Rubicon at the same dealer for comparison. If you still like the Rubicon then make the drive to go get the one you want.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone. So I'm trying to decide between two Jeeps...one is a new 2020 Rubicon in Punk'n with all the options I want. It's at a dealership 5 hours away. The other is a used 2019 Sahara (14,000 miles) that's about 5 miles away, with almost all the options I want (minus the Trailer Tow Package). It's about $12,000 less than the Rubi.

Rubicon Options
*8.4 Alpine
*LED package
*Leather
*Trailer Tow package
*Safety and Advanced Safety Groups
*Steel Bumper
*Remote Start
*Painted Fenders, black hardtop

Sahara Options
*8.4 Alpine
*LED package
*Leather
*Cold Weather (heated seats and remote start)
*Painted fenders and Painted Hardop
The above is from the factory. The dealer added a 3 inch Pro Comp lift, 33 bfgoodrich k02s and 17 inch fuel rims.

My main concern is buying used. Any tips ya'll can provide on what to look for? Any thoughts on the lift/tire setup that the Sahara has?

Would love to get some opinions on this. Thanks in advance :).
If you can swing it financially, get the rubicon. I can tell from your previous post that you really want the Rubi.

If you buy the Sahara you’ll have moments of regret. If you buy the Rubi you’ll forget all about the Sahara........ just sayin...... god luck..:)

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Honestly, nobody can make a decision unless we know what your plans are after the purchase, if it's solely a DD with barely any off roading and you want lift and decent size tires for the looks, the Sahara is more than likely the way to go.

If you actually off road, you'll probably want to go with the Rubicon.

What are your intentions with the Jeep aftering pruchasing?

socal66

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
There are major differences in the Rubicon suspension, etc. vs. the Sahara and that's where a lot of the $12K cost difference is. There are a number of dealers that will sell you a factory built to order for 5% or so below invoice. You may want to configure the same new Jeep using that tool on the Jeep.Com site and check what it is vs. the new price for the one you saw on the lot to see if that dealers isn't selling it at a higher than normal price.

I went through the same thought process of wanting to find a used JL initially however Jeeps don't depreciate as rapid as most vehicles and in the end it was a better deal to order from the factory and buy new with lower financing and in the end spending the money on what you specifically wanted (and avoiding the costs of what was not wanted).

Sponsored

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Honestly, nobody can make a decision unless we know what your plans are after the purchase, if it's solely a DD with barely any off roading and you want lift and decent size tires for the looks, the Sahara is more than likely the way to go.

If you actually off road, you'll probably want to go with the Rubicon.

What are your intentions with the Jeep aftering pruchasing?
It will definitely be a daily driver. No major rock crawling planned, although I do like the idea of knowing I can. Mainly just trails/beach driving in FL.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
go watch a video of someone adding in the trailer tow package + aux buttons and you will never buy a jeep without that option installed it a pain in the ass. also you get a bigger battery and alternator unlike the non factory addon. and you do know Punk-n orange is now no longer listed as a factory paint option in the build a jeep at jeep.com so i would take the Rubicon those Axles and lockers are nice to have even if you only use them once or twice a year. and i see you live in Florida so the cold weather group is worthless unless you are going to use it to keep your takeout warm on the way home. so get the rubicon and not the Sahara.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have bought several used Jeeps with low miles before. They were perfectly trouble-free and served me well. But they were stock. I would walk away from a used Jeep that has been modified.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Jennifer, you put a lot of miles on your vehicle. Within your budget and if it’s affordable/within reason of course... since you’re starting fresh new payments, you may as well buy a new vehicle that comes with a new warranty.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Your comparing two different vehicles. What if you looked for a used Rubicon, should be close in price as the Sahara. I would want new vs used.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The first consideration should be Sahara vs. Rubicon. Make that decision and then think about new vs. used. Personally I have no problem buying used, in fact I've only owned 2 new vehicles for my use an a whole lot of years. I've gotten more conservative so now I would look for a used vehicle from a reputable dealer so if there were problems found later with the vehicle I would have some recourse. But it's a matter of risk, if a vehicle at a small used car lot was cheap enough to offset the risk then I would consider it.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
Doesn't the Alpine always come with upgraded alternator? Mine did. The rest of the tow package is easy install.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
If you can swing it financially, get the rubicon. I can tell from your previous post that you really want the Rubi.

If you buy the Sahara you’ll have moments of regret. If you buy the Rubi you’ll forget all about the Sahara........ just sayin...... god luck..:)
Exactly..I bought a Sahara and then a month later I traded it in for a Rubicon.

I think if the OP can get the Rubicon to just go for it. They won't regret it.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
Doesn't the Alpine always come with upgraded alternator? Mine did. The rest of the tow package is easy install.
this is from jeep.com

Alpine® Premium Audio System

$1,295
The Alpine® Premium Audio System provides crisp, clear sound for an enhanced listening experience. This nine-speaker system includes a rear subwoofer and a 552W, 12 channel amplifier.

Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
$795
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • 700-Amp Maintenance Free Battery
  • 7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
  • Auxillary Switches
  • Class II Receiver
only way to get the bigger battery and alternator is the tow package.

sdiver68

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4XE, Tesla M3LR, Nissan Sentra
Occupation
Management Consultant/Small Business Owner
this is from jeep.com

Alpine® Premium Audio System

$1,295
The Alpine® Premium Audio System provides crisp, clear sound for an enhanced listening experience. This nine-speaker system includes a rear subwoofer and a 552W, 12 channel amplifier.

Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
$795
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • 700-Amp Maintenance Free Battery
  • 7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness
  • Auxillary Switches
  • Class II Receiver
only way to get the bigger battery and alternator is the tow package.
Ok, its not the Alpine alone. But 1 of the options of my Sun and Sound package states: 220 Amp Alternator (BAJ)
Sponsored