Sponsored

Thoughts on 4.56 vs. 4.10 gears.

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 12 JKU, soon to be 18 or 19 JL
So, I'm taking delivery of my sport s next week and it will immediately go into the shop for a 2.5 lift and 35's. In the very near future I was going to regear to 4.10, but avalibility if a front ring and pinion for a sport may or may not exist yet.

I see from various charts that 4.10's are ideal..... for an automatic... I ordered a 6 speed.

It seems to me that the 4.56 might be a better fit for a manual tranny seeing that it will bring 1st into granny territory but on the otherside may make use of 6th gear to wich most people say they only can use on the flat and downhill.

What say the brain trust.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
For reference, I ordered 5.13s for our 37s today. At a minimum I’d do the 4.56 if not 4.88 for 35s.

Brett

OP
OP

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Complete waste to do all that work for 4.10’s
Kinda where I'm at. I think 4.56 gears would probably be the best choice for my rig. It just seems the way FCA set the 6 speed up taller gears should have been standard to fully utilize the gearbox range .
I don't do mountains and rock crawlin besides the occasional maintenance road in upstate NY and Pa; I do however spend about 100 days driving on the beach per year.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Kinda where I'm at. I think 4.56 gears would probably be the best choice for my rig. It just seems the way FCA set the 6 speed up taller gears should have been standard to fully utilize the gearbox range .
I don't do mountains and rock crawlin besides the occasional maintenance road in upstate NY and Pa; I do however spend about 100 days driving on the beach per year.
For what its worth i ran 35’s with 3.23’s for a while on a JK and it was annoying at times but was completely doable. But yea anytime
You swap gears its a big commitment. So the change you make shouldnt be minimal. You might want to think about adding lockers if you ever thought u wanted them. Because that would be the time to swap carriers. All in all 4.56’s are pretty solid for 35’s feels about like stock. If you ever go 37’s 4.88 are more desirable.

Sponsored

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
So, I'm taking delivery of my sport s next week and it will immediately go into the shop for a 2.5 lift and 35's. In the very near future I was going to regear to 4.10, but avalibility if a front ring and pinion for a sport may or may not exist yet.

I see from various charts that 4.10's are ideal..... for an automatic... I ordered a 6 speed.

It seems to me that the 4.56 might be a better fit for a manual tranny seeing that it will bring 1st into granny territory but on the otherside may make use of 6th gear to wich most people say they only can use on the flat and downhill.

What say the brain trust.

I have a Sahara with Rubicon takeoffs (285/70/17) with possible plan on 35s in the future and having the same debate 4.10 v 4.56. currently it drives ok but not ideal (I stay in 5th on back roads and mostly 6th on highway but with occasional need to downshift to 5th even at 70mph).

If you are going with 35s I would definately go 4.56 with the 6 speed (I drove a friends rubicon with stock 4.10s, 6-speed and 35s and felt it could use 4.56s at the very least)

I also live in NJ and reached out to Globex in Toms river (they did gears on a mustang of mine in the past). waiting for an aftermarket company to come out with gears in the next month or two to see how the price will be.

OP
OP

njviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Sahara with Rubicon takeoffs (285/70/17) with possible plan on 35s in the future and having the same debate 4.10 v 4.56. currently it drives ok but not ideal (I stay in 5th on back roads and mostly 6th on highway but with occasional need to downshift to 5th even at 70mph).

If you are going with 35s I would definately go 4.56 with the 6 speed (I drove a friends rubicon with stock 4.10s, 6-speed and 35s and felt it could use 4.56s at the very least)

I also live in NJ and reached out to Globex in Toms river (they did gears on a mustang of mine in the past). waiting for an aftermarket company to come out with gears in the next month or two to see how the price will be.
Ya, the whole 6th gear not being utilized is what's bugging me. I just think its silly that basically you "have" to upgrade gearing to make the vehicle perform at a somewhere optimum level right off the bat. My blind loyalty to the brand is really starting me to question my decision making abilities. This is my 7th wrangler/cj and 11th Jeep branded vehicle I've owned. Ultimately though; I'm the one who stepped up to the desk yet again and forked over my money.

What did they reccomend and did they give you a ballpark figure? If I don't do it myself; I hope to have them do it.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, the whole 6th gear not being utilized is what's bugging me. I just think its silly that basically you "have" to upgrade gearing to make the vehicle perform at a somewhere optimum level right off the bat. My blind loyalty to the brand is really starting me to question my decision making abilities. This is my 7th wrangler/cj and 11th Jeep branded vehicle I've owned. Ultimately though; I'm the one who stepped up to the desk yet again and forked over my money.

What did they reccomend and did they give you a ballpark figure? If I don't do it myself; I hope to have them do it.
For me he recommended 4.10s with 33's and possibly 35's but if I was going 35's he thought maybe 4.56. he didn't give me a ballpark price because I am waiting for other gears (Revolution gears) to become available but he did say that you shouldn't need a new carrier with the 3.45 (something you needed with the 3.31 JK gears).

I also have dana 30 front and dana 44 with LSD in rear.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
For me he recommended 4.10s with 33's and possibly 35's but if I was going 35's he thought maybe 4.56. he didn't give me a ballpark price because I am waiting for other gears (Revolution gears) to become available but he did say that you shouldn't need a new carrier with the 3.45 (something you needed with the 3.31 JK gears).

I also have dana 30 front and dana 44 with LSD in rear.
Do you trail ride and have plans to add lockers? I'm curious how 35" tires on the d30 is holding up.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No lockers (I like the LSD rear) I only do rides on the beach in the summer and occasional light trails, from what I have heard the new JL Dana 30 is pretty beefed up
Sponsored