Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
As many have already mentioned, the run on C rated 315s has been crazy. This seems to apply to both Nitto and BFG. I am however able to find E rated options. The cost is minimal, but my concern is firmness. I do wheel my rig, so I like the idea of extra rigidity, but for the day to day I have concerns. Can I assume that running them around 30 psi would provide a similar ride to a C rated at 37 psi or so? Anyone with experience running these would be great. This is my third Jeep and 5th set of upgraded tires, but all of which have been C rated.
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
E will ride rougher, and not flex the sidewall as well when aired down.

As to comparison on different pressures...pressures should be determined by contact patch, not so much comfort.

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
I had a tough time finding 35"s k02 but turns out Discount had 34.5's in stock of 315 K02 so I bought them and saved a little $. Had stock Wildtrak 33 before. Rides so much smoother now. I don't know anything about the ratings.. not even sure if this helps lol

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m running E rated 33s at 35 psi cold. I find they ride smoother and quieter than the stock Bridgestone Duellers. I’m not experiencing a harsh or uncomfortable ride at all. Of course, every tire and vehicle is different, so if you go with E rated tires your best bet is starting at a specific pressure and going from their based on ride. A chalk test would also be very helpful.

OP
OP
Ryno77

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m running E rated 33s at 35 psi cold. I find they ride smoother and quieter than the stock Bridgestone Duellers. I’m not experiencing a harsh or uncomfortable ride at all. Of course, every tire and vehicle is different, so if you go with E rated tires your best bet is starting at a specific pressure and going from their based on ride. A chalk test would also be very helpful.

Thanks man. I will definitely be doing a chalk test. Are you running ko2's?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thanks man. I will definitely be doing a chalk test. Are you running ko2's?
I’m running Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs. I got a great deal on them from a local tire chain store. The manager said this tire has been outselling the KO2s.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I'd hold off for C. I'd never run E as they make the ride harsh.

AppleJacks23

First Name
A.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Human Resources
Vehicle Showcase
I run k02s 315 e rated. Don't mind it one bit and wanted the thicker sidewalks.

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ryno77

Ryno77

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I am just not sure. Lol. Some say no way to E rated firmness and others say they are not stiff at all.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This is why I am just not sure. Lol. Some say no way to E rated firmness and others say they are not stiff at all.
If you set your pressures properly, you should not get a harsh/rough/stiff ride from E rated tires.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Load rating difference is 660 lbs per corner with KO2s. That's significant.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'd look for a D-rated, good compromise. My new Mickey Thompsons are a D-rated 315/70 and are a bit lighter than the Es. Haven't mounted them yet but my current 295/70 Patagonias are an E-rated and aren't bad at all on the road. For those that say they are way to firm for a Jeep, dunno, I'm used to old stiff spring CJs, and even just running on innertubes those were some stiff riding rigs. The new JLs are pretty plush by comparison so IMO the Es aren't a deal-killer, although I think a C would be best for on road and airing down, but a D only a bit less in the comfort dept, and a bit better for road hazard protection.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
As many have already mentioned, the run on C rated 315s has been crazy. This seems to apply to both Nitto and BFG. I am however able to find E rated options. The cost is minimal, but my concern is firmness. I do wheel my rig, so I like the idea of extra rigidity, but for the day to day I have concerns. Can I assume that running them around 30 psi would provide a similar ride to a C rated at 37 psi or so? Anyone with experience running these would be great. This is my third Jeep and 5th set of upgraded tires, but all of which have been C rated.
I just installed BFG 315 E loads on my JLUR a few days ago, replacing the stock 285 C load KO2s. I too was looking for C loads in the KO2s but was having a tough time finding them and Discount Tire here mentioned they're almost impossible to find. I debated a couple D load options (Duratracs and Mickey Thompsons) for the same reasons of fearing the E load BFGs would be too stiff on pavement. After a few days on the 315 E loads at ~35 PSI, yeah, they're a little stiffer but really not as much as I expected. Overall I'm pretty happy with the ride though the off road ride is still to be experienced. Feeling pretty good about the decision and I stayed with BFGs because they were great on and off road and gave me 40k miles so that played into not going to a D load with another brand.
Sponsored