Thoughts comparing my JK to my JL

1. JimmyDoom

JimmyDoom Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
    Liked:
    My JLUR had loose steering from day one. My co-worker has a JLUR and the steering is fine. His was built 9-18, mine was built 7-18.
    I installed 35" Nitto ridge grapplers (PSI 42) a few months ago and it improved it slightly.
    I installed the falcon 2.2 steering stabilizer a month ago....slight improvement
    I had the dealer loosen and then re-torque all the hardware in the front.
    I had the dealer flash the PCM.

All these things improved it but didn't 100% fix it. I'm working with my dealer and FCA to resolve the problem.

If you haven't experienced anything wrong with your steering yet, I would say you should be fine.....time will tell

szobell and Kraty1 like this.
  2. Socceref

Socceref Active Member

First Name:
    Ref
    Vehicle(s):
    JLU Sahara (loaded)
    Liked:
    My JL wobble started at 5K miles. My dealership took a torque wrench to the steering and chassis. A lot of bolts were not tightened to the Jeep specs. Now it is great. I have tried to induce the wobble and the JL now is very solid. I suggest this approach before you buy third party stuff

iznthesky and JohnAinVA like this.
  3. Indio

Indio Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
    Liked:
    Could this be an issue related to the new electric powered steering? Maybe there is some software involved with that box, for controlling the user input and perhaps modifying how it responds to various other inputs. If this software/hardware combo is misinterpreting feedback from either the driver or the road, perhaps it is inducing some of these steering issues.

Guessing here, but lets say the driver hits a bump a certain way, or experiences undulations or other conditions that cause feedback in the steering ... if the electric steering does not interpret that correctly, maybe it could cause some strange behavior.

4. pablo_max3045

pablo_max3045 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Rubicon
    Liked:
    Classic Jeep workmanship.
    I had exactly the same on my JKU. (In SoCal) In fact, when I took in I was in the waiting room for about 30 min and the service manager came out and told me I was damn lucky to be alive. Several critical components had the nuts loosened to the point of being only being on by a 1/4 turn.
    They went through the entire Jeep and found several other areas which needed attention. Some minor and some life threatening.
    Once my new JLUR arrives next week, the first order of business (before coating with rust prevention) will be to check every single bolt, nut, screw, faster and so on for tightness.

Kraty1 and JohnAinVA like this.
  5. Kraty1

Kraty1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
    Liked:
    Sales & Marketing
    For what it's worth my JLU is currently at the dealer for the steering/death wobble issue as well as the front window defroster. FCA has been very helpful and gave me an expedited claim number. Dealership seemed to know about both issues (actually asked me about the steering vs. me having to tell him my experience) and thought they would be able to fix plus provided a loaner. I'll keep you posted.

szobell likes this.
  6. tom1000

tom1000 New Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
    Liked:
    I agree 100%. I really like everything about my JL with the exception of the steering, which I also consider a safety hazard.

7. Spartan99

Spartan99 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2008 JKUX
    Liked:
    Chrysler and Fiat, together as one company. It’s amazing that these things even work at all. The two crappiest companies on the planet joined forces? Kinda funny. Too bad Toyota didn’t buy the brand.

HoundDude and JohnAinVA like this.
  8. Majestic

Majestic Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JKUR
    Liked:
    Then it would have a cheap outdated interior for another next 10 years and the headlights would bulge outside the housings.

JeepU4IA and DanW like this.
  9. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    1999 Mercedes E430 Sport, 2002 Ford F150 King Ranch Supercrew FX4, 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Ford Transit 350 van.
    Liked:
    Educator
    Garage Profiles:
    #39 Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    JL's aren't falling apart everywhere. Only on internet forums. I run across as many JL's now as I do JK's and every owner I've struck up a conversation with loves them. I've not seen any stranded by the road, either. Mine has barely had any issues 13 months and 16k into it.

I'm not downplaying the legitimate problems some forum members have had, nor the lemons that occur. I'm also not excusing FCA from taking care of serious issues. However, those things happen to all automakers. I'm just trying to bring some perspective in here. The production rate right now is over 200,000 units per year. If 2% of them had major issues, that would be over 4,000 Jeeps with problems, which in and of itself would be a lot, but 98% being good would be an excellent number, for industry standards and good odds customers will get a good one.

Btw, I always chuckle when I hear people act like Toyotas never have problems. I guess you never heard of sludging engines that Toyota denied for years, or frames rusting out prematurely on pickup trucks. Toyota is a human company run by humans, who are every bit as fallible as people working for FCA. I've owned two Toyotas and they were good, but no better than any Jeep I've had. One 4Runner had a couple issues with--guess what---front wheels wobbling. It wasn't dangerous, but they never did properly identify it and fix it, either. That same 4Runner stranded my wife in the middle of an intersection when the computer went haywire and had to be rebooted. The engine quit and the transmission would not shift. If I told you that was a Jeep, you'd say it sounds familiar. But, it was none other than a Toyota.

JeepU4IA, szobell, iznthesky and 2 others like this.
  10. Spartan99

Vehicle(s):
    2008 JKUX
    Liked:

I know I’m just joking around.

DanW likes this.
  11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandy
    Vehicle(s):
    17 JKU, 19 JL
    Liked:
    Damn it! It's so hard to identify sarcasm in texts....:computerrage:

We need a sarcasm emoji :CWL:

JeepU4IA and DanW like this.
  12. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    1999 Mercedes E430 Sport, 2002 Ford F150 King Ranch Supercrew FX4, 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2015 Ford Transit 350 van.
    Liked:
    Educator
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I missed that. Purple text might help. :like:

GreyFox likes this.
  13. EggSuckingLeech

First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
    Liked:
    My experience... never had any wobble. I installed a Rough Country 2" spacer lift and 35" tires. After that, the wandering was insane if I drove 65 mph or more. It was hard to explain the sensation. It wasn't actively wandering but it was as if I had to fully concentrate on driving. It was exhausting.

I did my research and learned that with that lift, I really needed new control arms. The lift even though minor affected my camber. So I bought and installed the Rubicon Express lower control arms.

Contrary to the JK friends of mine who said the arms weren't necessary (it's a Jeep thing), this was a game changer. No more wandering sensation at all.

So if any of you installed a lift which did not include lower control arms and you get wandering think about it.

14. Spartan99

Vehicle(s):
    2008 JKUX
    Liked:
    Not really sarcasm. Just poking fun at reality. Joking around. Chrysler and Fiat are pretty bad by themselves so you have to expect a joint venture to yield some pretty bad reaults. And I do wish Toyota bought Jeep. But whatever just have fun with it. Don’t get frustrated when it wobbles and shakes and the electrical gremlins appear. Just giggle to yourself that it’s a Fiat/Chrysler doing its thing. When I bought my JK I knew I was buying a junky Chrysler. I have two Toyota trucks to rely on when my Jeep needs some TLC though.

15. OP
    OP
    szobell

szobell Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 2015 KL, 2009 JKUR,
    Liked:
    Falcon stabilizer arrived today. Putting on tonight. Hoping for an improvement and i will report back tomorrow.

DanW likes this.