Thoughts comparing my JK to my JL

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I have had my JLUR for a little over 12 months and 14.5k miles. Took my daughters (handed down) 09 JKUR for a couple hundred mile trip today and it was an interesting comparison. While I loved my JK, the JL is just a tremendous improvement of a vehicle.

- I have had it to Moab 4x and each time i just smile (and pucker a bit) as it handles trails with ease.

- Love the ride of the JL. JK is not bad, but the ride of the JL is fantastic. I forgot how amazing the ride of the JL is.

- I have almost taken for granted the awesome engine and transmission of the JL. Yes, my 09 has the mini-van engine and I was like, “seriously, does this thing have any power??”

- Now the only problem with my JL... the steering. I actually realized driving along that I felt comfortable driving the JK with one hand on the freeway. I hadn’t realize that I was not comfortable driving my JL with one hand. The JK at 104k miles has solid steering, no wobble worry - just plain awesome. Way better than my JL.

The irony of this is that my 17 year old daughter texted me and said “what’s up with your steering wheel shake?? Is that normal or did i do something wrong?”

Love the JL, just gotta solve the death wobble. Taking it back in next week so i can have this one also for another 10 years!!

58B89F45-D8AC-4EF1-9DC2-AD13E0D0EF87.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The 07-11 engine was horrible. The addition of the Pentastar in the 12-18 was a major upgrade.

Painting the Pentastar with the 8 speed trans in the JL is a nice pairing.

There are things I like and dislike about the JL.

Like:

8 speed trans
Larger brakes
High clearance fender flares
Rubicon hood

Dislike:

Steering- It is overall horrible
Turn signals in the fender flares
The fact that the jeep lurches/speeds up often when slowing down. Probably a computer error.

The JK was overall a more solid/stable ride.

Last edited:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
My husband has a 17JKU, and while it's leap and bounds ahead of my (former) TJ, my JL is leaps and bounds ahead of the JK. Both ride great, but the JL is more smooth. The JK does feel less responsive and "sluggish" with that 5 speed tranny. I haven't experienced any JL steering issues yet. The JK at 33k miles steers great. Now, ask me about the TJ DW. But at least it was fixable.

Kangarhew

First Name
Rhew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I will be ordering my JLUR in may. I plan to drive it for a bit just to see, but from everything I’ve read on here, I am planning on the steer smarts kit being one of my first purchases.

Sponsored

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
It's sad the first thing you buy for a new Jeep is something to fix a dangerous problem that it comes with from the factory.
That is why I am kinda being stubborn on this. I want to help Jeep solve this so when I get my JLUR diesel, there is no wobble. All else is fantastic!,

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@szobell

Great photo! Almost looks like a painting haha

Good comparison as well. I had slight vibes at higher speeds. I installed the Falcon Teraflex 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer and those went away. Not saying it’s a solve all but it has been for me.

00438E52-D679-4294-9E48-F7ED8053EAF1.jpeg

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I hope I'm not out of line but this steering thing is totally confusing. I've read all the posts about it and am just dumbfounded. I have a two door Rubicon on 35's that at 65 to 80+ can be driven with one finger. I don't doubt any of you that say you experience the issue but how can some have it and some not? That's what confuses me. Then I wonder if it's only a matter of time before I experience it. I love mine in every way. My last two were TJ's and boy what an upgrade.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
The 07-11 engine was horrible. The addition of the Pentastar in the 12-18 was a major upgrade.

Painting the Pentastar with the 8 speed trans in the JL is a nice pairing.

There are things I like and dislike about the JL.

Like:

8 speed trans
Larger brakes
High clearance fender flares
Rubicon hood

Dislike:

Steering- It is overall horrible
Turn signals in the fender flares
The fact that the jeep lurches/speeds up often when slowing down. Probably a computer error.

The JK was overall a more solid/stable ride.
138k miles on my 3.8. No problems. Gets 19 mpgs. Not a powerhouse, but solid as a rock. Easy to tune up. 250k on my friend’s. Runs like a top.

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
@szobell

Great photo! Almost looks like a painting haha

Good comparison as well. I had slight vibes at higher speeds. I installed the Falcon Teraflex 2.2 Fast Adjust Steering Stabilizer and those went away. Not saying it’s a solve all but it has been for me.

00438E52-D679-4294-9E48-F7ED8053EAF1.jpeg
I will go this exact stabilizer as well in a few weeks. Trying to be patient to see if Jeep can figure it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
szobell

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I hope I'm not out of line but this steering thing is totally confusing. I've read all the posts about it and am just dumbfounded. I have a two door Rubicon on 35's that at 65 to 80+ can be driven with one finger. I don't doubt any of you that say you experience the issue but how can some have it and some not? That's what confuses me. Then I wonder if it's only a matter of time before I experience it. I love mine in every way. My last two were TJ's and boy what an upgrade.
Not out of line at all. I am thrilled that yours is awesome. From the surveys on here it looks like only about 20% of us have the problems. ☹

Mine had a bit of a wander at first, but no wobble. I took delivery in January 18. Lifted it with Mopar and put on 35’s in February. My first wobble happened in October. I wondered if I knocked it out of alignment in Moab so I had them do a road-force alignment and high-speed balance and that didn’t stop it. It is getting worse unfortunately.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Not out of line at all. I am thrilled that yours is awesome. From the surveys on here it looks like only about 20% of us have the problems. ☹

Mine had a bit of a wander at first, but no wobble. I took delivery in January 18. Lifted it with Mopar and put on 35’s in February. My first wobble happened in October. I wondered if I knocked it out of alignment in Moab so I had them do a road-force alignment and high-speed balance and that didn’t stop it. It is getting worse unfortunately.
Well it sounds like it may be just a matter of time for me. Worse case (lol) is if it happens I have an excuse for lift and 37's to fix it. I can't wait !!!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
+1 My 2dr Rubi can also be driven with one finger. Right now it’s stock and has 11,250 miles. I feel badly for the guys who have bad steering.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I will go this exact stabilizer as well in a few weeks. Trying to be patient to see if Jeep can figure it out.
What Jeep dealers have been doing is continuous stabilizer replacement. Once they get to a certain number of replacements they have been authorized to purchase the Falcon Teraflex 2.1 Stabilizer.

I just bit the bullet and got the Falcon Teraflex 2.2 because it has a fast adjustment lol

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Honestly, my only guess is that some of us are used to a way a Jeep drives? I love both of mine (JKU & JL) and just upgraded from a TJ. When I drive my Mom's van, I feel like I'm chasing it all over the road. I could be used to automatically driving that way after years. I really don't know. But I have also never been a one handed driver. For 30 driving years, I have always been a 10 & 2 position driver. Well, shifting gears doesn't count as a one handed driver. But honestly, no clue what people are experiencing.
Sponsored