Sponsored

Those with the Tow Package - What Did You Wire to Your AUX Switches?

rubiria

First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
While I'm saving up for more Goodies, I have some Preliminary Plans on how I will be assigning my Aux Switches:

AUX 1 - Winch Solenoid
AUX 2 - Compressor
AUX 3 - Aftermarket Bumper Auxiliary Lights (Spot)
AUX 4 - Light Bar or Lower Windshield Auxiliary Lights (Flood)
Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Curious why an AUX switch is used or needed for a compressor and for a winch?

My ARB Dual Compressor has an on/off switch, it's mounted under my passenger seat.

My Warn EVO VR 10S has a detachable control that I keep in a Goose Gear cubby hole.

I don't have either one connected to an AUX switch. Am I doing it "rong"?

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Just a few lights as well as the winch master shut off
Jeep Wrangler JL Those with the Tow Package - What Did You Wire to Your AUX Switches? All Lights on

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I currently have a Warn winch solenoid on factory aux #3 and the amber backlights of my 4 amber bumper lights on aux #4. My ARB twin compressor is hooked to the hot with ignition wire in the aux bundle under the glove compartment, and I'm using their switch to run it. My inbound Midland MXT575 gmrs 2-way radio will go on aux #1 and a charging station for a pair of GXT1000VP4 2-way handhelds will go on aux #2.

All of my forward lighting, rock lights, and auxiliary reverse lights are on an aftermarket 8 switch controller. The last 2 switches are reserved for front and rear air locker solenoids. This switch panel is mounted to the bottom of my a-pillar grab handle, which is easier to use on the fly. Also, I wanted independent control over the forward lighting vs having it wired in an all or nothing fashion.
I just installed my MXT575 and wired to AUX #4 switch. If my math is right, a 50W output/13.6v = 3.7amps. Switch #3 and #4 are rated for 15amp and #1 and #2 at 40amps. I would save 1 and 2 for higher draw sources..

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Curious why an AUX switch is used or needed for a compressor and for a winch?

My ARB Dual Compressor has an on/off switch, it's mounted under my passenger seat.

My Warn EVO VR 10S has a detachable control that I keep in a Goose Gear cubby hole.

I don't have either one connected to an AUX switch. Am I doing it "rong"?
Doing it wrong... No.

I wired my compressor and my winch direct to battery. Both 'need' to be run with the engine on. But... they can be turned on without engine. Risk is killing your battery.

Maybe some like to use the Aux switches so they can set it so they only are hot when ignition is on... reduced risk. i.e. Idiot proofing.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

It is probably much more risky not to be able to switch 12vdc power off to keep the big 12vdc @ 100 amps or so red power cable isolated from arcing and sparking against the bumper, body and/or frame if its thin red insulation is breached by accident while driving (when the power over long cables should really be kept turned off until a connected device is needed which only is when the vehicle is stopped) or in an accident as a breached power cable touches and shorts out electrically against bare metal on the vehicle. Again, no worry on the thick black cable but the red one could spark a fire and wreck your battery and reward you with a totaled Jeep if it catches fire from the sparking. Insurance companies would determine it is your fault since you wired it without protection circuitry.
And I am now convinced to put a master shut off switch in when I wire a winch! Ran a winch for nearly a decade on my last Jeep and never thought about that.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed my MXT575 and wired to AUX #4 switch. If my math is right, a 50W output/13.6v = 3.7amps. Switch #3 and #4 are rated for 15amp and #1 and #2 at 40amps. I would save 1 and 2 for higher draw sources..
Other than a pair of rear facing backup lights and a bunch of rock lights, which will go with the rest of my lighting on the SwitchPros controller, the gmrs radio and the charging station for the handhelds should be the end of my electrical add-ons.

Now that you made a good point that has me thinking, it might be worth putting the radio and charger together on aux #1, and #2 will be left available for a future possibility. I'm not a camper, but maybe a fridge would still be worth having for day trips.

Thanks buddy!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
And I am now convinced to put a master shut off switch in when I wire a winch! Ran a winch for nearly a decade on my last Jeep and never thought about that.
It's more or less for peace of mind. The Warn power interrupt solenoid kit is less than $100 and comes with everything needed, including a toggle switch for those who either don't have or don't want to use one of their aux switches, so it's a very low cost peace of mind. Imperfect routing or even a light front end collision could result in an abraded power cable that could make the frame "hot". Also, zero chance of unauthorized use if it's not hot all the time. Just a couple of reasons why it's worth adding such a low cost and simple component that can't justifiably be call a complication.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Doing it wrong... No.

I wired my compressor and my winch direct to battery. Both 'need' to be run with the engine on. But... they can be turned on without engine. Risk is killing your battery.

Maybe some like to use the Aux switches so they can set it so they only are hot when ignition is on... reduced risk. i.e. Idiot proofing.
That makes sense. I always turn the engine on first for the compressor and winch, so it sounds like I'm ok.

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I just installed my MXT575 and wired to AUX #4 switch. If my math is right, a 50W output/13.6v = 3.7amps.
Your math is good but assumes the radio has 100% efficiency in converting incoming power to transmit power. The reality is that a lot of power is "wasted" and converted to heat. It's conceivable that the radio could pull 6A or more.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Your math is good but assumes the radio has 100% efficiency in converting incoming power to transmit power. The reality is that a lot of power is "wasted" and converted to heat. It's conceivable that the radio could pull 6A or more.
Yeah good point. I was assuming 100% efficiency. Hooking up to a 15amp circuit and radio only 50% efficient, I still have lots of headroom.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
BD LP6 (2) up front