Those with Bright White Tops please chime in

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I’ve posted a similar thread and by now that some of you guys have had your JL for some time now, if figure is ask. I’m debating on white top or black top. My main concern is heat, I’ve gotten mixed reviews but more people have said the white does reflect heat better and thus allows interior to cool faster. I live in Miami where it’s hot as heck and humid, if the white top will help i would do that (even though I like the look of black).

Any advice from guys/gals that have white tops in hot climates? The only place I’ve gathered some info is with the FJ cruiser people that have white tops.

Thanks!
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a hardtop or a white wrangler so I probably shouldn’t post here.

However, you did ask for opinions.

I’ve seen them both ways and I like both looks.

It all comes down to your color ‘theme’ really.

I don’t think you can go wrong looks wise. In terms of heat reduction I believe it’s equal, no difference but I could be wrong.

I know this isn’t much help but I tried.

Also, FJ stands for Fake Jeep, so no need to listen to that crowd.

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
I like the panda look on Wranglers too. I have a white JLUR with a black hard top in Vegas.

For sure the black top will absorb more heat than a white one. So the black top will be hotter on the outside for sure. But it’s the heat that makes it through the top that matters inside. I haven’t burned my hand on the inside of the top yet!

I added the hard top headliners so they might make a bit of a difference overall. It’s hard to tell really. They’re cheaper than getting the top painted if you don’t already have them anyway.

I had a silver 4Runner with a black leather interior before getting my Jeep, also with the black leather interior. I haven’t found any noticeable difference between the two. Lots of glass plus a dark interior is going to make for a hot ass no matter what. I really do miss those ventilated seats though!

My other car is a black on black Audi A6. That thing is an oven. It’s much hotter than the Jeep when it’s left in the sun. You could actually burn yourself on the paintwork.

tl/dr: I don’t think you’ll see much, if any difference going to a white top.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I like the panda look on Wranglers too. I have a white JLUR with a black hard top in Vegas.

For sure the black top will absorb more heat than a white one. So the black top will be hotter on the outside for sure. But it’s the heat that makes it through the top that matters inside. I haven’t burned my hand on the inside of the top yet!

I added the hard top headliners so they might make a bit of a difference overall. It’s hard to tell really. They’re cheaper than getting the top painted if you don’t already have them anyway.

I had a silver 4Runner with a black leather interior before getting my Jeep, also with the black leather interior. I haven’t found any noticeable difference between the two. Lots of glass plus a dark interior is going to make for a hot ass no matter what. I really do miss those ventilated seats though!

My other car is a black on black Audi A6. That thing is an oven. It’s much hotter than the Jeep when it’s left in the sun. You could actually burn yourself on the paintwork.

tl/dr: I don’t think you’ll see much, if any difference going to a white top.
Thanks for that insight...I agree the black top looks marginally better than white. But if the white top allows less radiant heat into the cabin I’d have to think of that. Someone in another forum painted their top panels on a jk and measured a 30 degree difference.

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I’ve posted a similar thread and by now that some of you guys have had your JL for some time now, if figure is ask. I’m debating on white top or black top. My main concern is heat, I’ve gotten mixed reviews but more people have said the white does reflect heat better and thus allows interior to cool faster. I live in Miami where it’s hot as heck and humid, if the white top will help i would do that (even though I like the look of black).

Any advice from guys/gals that have white tops in hot climates? The only place I’ve gathered some info is with the FJ cruiser people that have white tops.

Thanks!
I have granite grey. The hartop gets hot.

I was out on the trails today and even though we never had the windows down, i felt the AC couldnt keep up

Body felt fine but since heat stays at the top, i felt a bit stuffy from the heat.

I havent tried yet, but there are some paints that dont allow radiant heat in. I used a white paint in my rooftop of my house and it helped. Got it at home depot

Theres a spray on specifically for cars called lizard skin.

Im waiting to find an old freedom panel for cheap to test with

Sponsored

Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Thanks!
I have the white top and prefer it over a black top. I live at a higher elevation and the heat gain from the sun is minimal. I'm surprised that when I get in after it has been parked in the sun and feel the inside of the top and its slightly warm. I don't think I would even get the roof insulators. I also installed the window vent visors and leave my windows open a little. This helps to keep the interior temperatures down. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I have the white top and prefer it over a black top. I live at a higher elevation and the heat gain from the sun is minimal. I'm surprised that when I get in after it has been parked in the sun and feel the inside of the top and its slightly warm. I don't think I would even get the roof insulators. I also installed the window vent visors and leave my windows open a little. This helps to keep the interior temperatures down. Best of luck.
That’s great to hear, maybe I should go to dealer with a temp gun and measure the white top interior vs black. As funny as it sounds! My wife in our jk white has black top...the ac struggles and she takes out the grand baby. Really need all the help we can get, I guess I can’t go wrong with white top

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That’s great to hear, maybe I should go to dealer with a temp gun and measure the white top interior vs black. As funny as it sounds! My wife in our jk white has black top...the ac struggles and she takes out the grand baby. Really need all the help we can get, I guess I can’t go wrong with white top
The JL does have a/c vents for the back seat now, so that helps. The hardtop really doesn’t let that much heat in.

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, all white....I think its a cleaner look. I wouldn't have bought it with a black top. Usually, the fenders come black as well. Nope, not for me.

IMG_7749.JPG

Reactions: Rob

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks!
I’m in Florida with black top with headliners, a/c does fine, it’s not like being in a luxury vehicle, but it’s not so bad that I’d let it be the determining factor on which top to get. Remember, it’s a Jeep, and you can’t compare it with any other vehicle on the planet. You should get what you want....:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my white top for a black unpainted one on here last year. If you aren't sure you can easily go with white and someone on here will trade you if you decide to switch and since they're on the low end you can get them to cover the cost difference. I've seen plenty of those threads.

I can't comment on the heat. I'm mostly parked in garages day to day.

Whatever you do don't get the crappy Mopar headliner and go with Hotheads aftermarket if you're concerned about heat.

edit: If you eventually decide to trade be aware that there are also BLACK PAINTED hardtops. I wanted unpainted so it'd be matte.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went all white (fenders and top) and tinted the front driver and passenger windows. It has no issues cooling off, and definitely seems cooler than our other car, a silver MDX, when entered after being in the sun. I love the idea of going to the dealer and testing with a thermometer. That will give you a definitive answer for sure.

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
I actually traded my black top and cash for a white one. It is cooler inside with the white. I just like the cleaner look of all white , heat wasn’t a factor for me. I did perfer to have cloth interior because the leather is hot on the legs... I also skipped the painted flares because of gravel roads I drive and the fear of rock chips

012BB0FD-FC34-4B1A-AA9C-28B1FD693E75.jpeg

2242FF90-B3BC-4A6C-9A43-8C3B14A5ADAA.jpeg

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White JLUR
Occupation
On set medic

Thanks!

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White JLUR
Occupation
On set medic
I got the bright white with white top specifically for the heat. I live in Los Angeles and work in the desert and it is a huge temperature difference. I think it’s about 20 degrees cooler. I can sit in my Jeep in the sun when it’s 95 and not use the AC. Of course we don’t have the humidity that you do.
I wanted a black Jeep like the other two I had, and I am so happy that I bought white.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored