Sponsored

Those with aluminum bumpers: front or back preferences?

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
If you could choose your bumpers again, would you buy aluminium? Would you prefer it to be for the front or back if you only had one option? Or would you go back to steel?
Sponsored

Southers313

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you could choose your bumpers again, would you buy aluminium? Would you prefer it to be for the front or back if you only had one option? Or would you go back to steel?

Very interested to hear on this one as well...

Really like the look of the new Rival aluminum bumpers - but I currently have OEM steel.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Very interested to hear on this one as well...

Really like the look of the new Rival aluminum bumpers - but I currently have OEM steel.

Do you have a link to those Rival bumpers?

EDIT: Found them.

TankCustomsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2dr Mojito
I'm sporting the Rival front aluminum bumper. The steel winch plate combined with the aluminum bumper skin makes for a great combo. It's amazing how light weight it is compared to my previous steel bumper. Let me know if you have any questions or need specific pics!
backofshopsquare2.jpg
front shot.jpg

Sponsored

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
When I do mine it will be Alum up front, steel in the back. Back takes a lot of abuse over rocks and being dragged dropped onto them. The front, if it gets anything, is normally just scrapes.

OP
OP
d3vils-advocate

d3vils-advocate

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
When I do mine it will be Alum up front, steel in the back. Back takes a lot of abuse over rocks and being dragged dropped onto them. The front, if it gets anything, is normally just scrapes.
That's exactly what I was thinking, and it cuts down some of the front weight as well.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Agreed. I'm also interested in a swing-out tire carrier on the rear and AFAIK that pretty much limits one to steel back there. If AEV *ever* gets their bumpers to market it will be interesting to see as there's a lot of promise of high strength/low weight with their boron hot stamped steel method (though no doubt it will be priced accordingly).

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
Agreed. I'm also interested in a swing-out tire carrier on the rear and AFAIK that pretty much limits one to steel back there. If AEV *ever* gets their bumpers to market it will be interesting to see as there's a lot of promise of high strength/low weight with their boron hot stamped steel method (though no doubt it will be priced accordingly).
Gen right makes an aluminum Tire carrier.

https://genright.com/products/jeep-jl-swing-out-rear-tire-carrier-aluminum.html

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Went aluminum front and rear. Both Rock Hard.

Was in same boat and looking for a bumper mount carrier. However, will not go bigger than 35" and a hinge replacement mount (like EVO, Rusty's, Ace, etc.) will be just fine for me.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Went aluminum front and rear. Both Rock Hard.

Was in same boat and looking for a bumper mount carrier. However, will not go bigger than 35" and a hinge replacement mount (like EVO, Rusty's, Ace, etc.) will be just fine for me.
I’m looking at the Rock Hard aluminum rear bumper and in two different places I’ve read that shifting the tire carrier up is required with more than a 33” AND also bigger than a 35” tire. I don’t know which one to believe. I’m looking at a 33.9” max right now. Do you have any insight on this? Thanks

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have 35" tires and yes, I had to move the tire up to clear the bumper. I was able to adjust my (Rusty's) tire carrier to get the tire where it is touching the hinge arms for stability. It would have been ideal to have the tire down a couple of inches to put it more with the centerline of the tailgate, but the set-up is just fine.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have 35" tires and yes, I had to move the tire up to clear the bumper. I was able to adjust my (Rusty's) tire carrier to get the tire where it is touching the hinge arms for stability. It would have been ideal to have the tire down a couple of inches to put it more with the centerline of the tailgate, but the set-up is just fine.
Is it because the tire will hit the bumper and would it be possible to cut as much as an inch of an arc out where contact would be made?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Here is a photo of the rear tire. You can see it just clears the bumper. You would not be able to cut an arc out of the bumper due to the license plate area.

I could have mounted it out further and lowered it but it is not stable. The best is to have it as close to the tailgate as possible - that was the most stable set-up.

I would have liked it having an arc so I could have put it down about an inch to make it more centerline on the tailgate for weight distribution. The only "wobble" it has is if it is closed hard and the tire moves slightly. No movement when at all while driving - even on trails and washboard roads.

Very happy with this set-up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those with aluminum bumpers: front or back preferences? jlur rear
Sponsored