Sponsored

Those with aluminum bumpers: front or back preferences?

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm confused about the Rival bumper. On the Quadratec site it says:

A lightweight bumper that is corrosion resistant and built to last. The stubby bumper weighs in at 86 lbs while the full width bumper only weighs 99 lbs
Is that accurate? That's a lot of weight for aluminum.

This RockHard bumper is only 34 lbs.
Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Yes, it’s a heavy aluminum bumper. The Russian made Rival and Quadratec branded aluminum bumpers don’t seem much better than some lighter steel bumpers.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6

I know right? Not that I am going to change since I already have LOD bumpers front and rear, but just out of curiosity I checked their weight cause their design looks pretty cool. I was surprised that it was 66 pounds for the stubby! My LOD front destroyer stubby with the stinger is 70lbs, only 4lbs more!

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I looked at the RockHard rear aluminum bumper. I even called them.

The sales guy got defensive that I proposed cutting an arc out and reinforcing it so I wouldn’t need a tire carrier relocation kit and a plate/light relocation kit too. Slippery slope! I only planned on a 33-34” tire at 80lbs or less total with a stock 18” wheel. No more. “You’re going to weaken the bumper”. No kidding....if I just cut and didn’t address the lowered bend resistance by only doing that. I wish I had a Tig welder and had learned when I had the chance.

In light of that weird conversation, I told him I’d just keep the plastic rear bumper. It’s even lighter and I can get them all day for practically free. So that’s how that conversation went...over 1” insufficient tire clearance for the spare. That (33-34”) happens to be in the ballpark tire size of what a Rubicon takeoff suspension JL should be able to run taking into account fender clearance.

Sta Nisia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKR, JLU
I am looking at the rockhard aluminum for the front. I'll be getting a synthetic rope winch, so I will be adding some net weight in the worst place, out front past front wheels. But for me this seems the best way to get winch with minimal undesired weight increase. I am milling the cost, which is a substantial premium over aluminum+steel combinations in the 60-70lb range, and still am undecided.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have the RH aluminum with a Zeon 10S winch. Worth the premium. You can actually hold the bumper in place with one hand and put it up - it is that light. Have hit hard a couple of times - no damage. Have winch on it a few times with no issues.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Next Venture Motorsports is coming out with aluminum parts. Bumpers, skid plate systems, and I think rock sliders.

RhinoJLU

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Give vks a look. I order the v3 stubby. It is for a jk but should fit the jl just fine
Sponsored