Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I have a sport with 3.45s. Ran 33s for a year. Slight dip in performance and mpg.

About six months ago i jumped to 35s. Slightly more lag but noticeable drop in mpg. Seems like it improved once the tazer learned the vehicle. I can say this because I uninstalled the tazer for a dealer visit and noticed the drastic/horrible difference. I couldnt get the tazer back in fast enough lol.

i imagine acceleration would be better with 4:10s. Not sure on highway though. It is what it is. I love the 35s. Though i wouldnt want to commute for too long on them. Luckily im 10 minutes from work.

i also run a much lighter wheel than stock at 22lbs and Patagonias which arent too heavy.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I drove my JLR only a short time on stock 33’s (KO2’s) before I switched to 315 KO2’s...I did drive about two weeks however before I had the dealer create a new ‘profile’ and upload the new tire size-this did seem to improve shift points and of course correct the speedometer (now dead nuts on). This said, it still drove fine before the dealer upload...The cost to have the dealer do this should be around $125 and it becomes part of your ‘build profile’ with FCA. Yes, FCA has a procedure for creating this complete with ‘how to measure tires’ for their profile upload.

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
I have a Sahara that went from stock to 35s. If I were to rate a "noticeable" change from 1-10, with 1 being no change and 10 being a lot of change...id rate it about a 3.
It doesnt seem like the 8 speed auto transmission will have much problem handling 35s. I dont think regearing is necessary at all.

The ride, comfort, height, smoothness are all much better now than they were stock. A simple bump used to have me sliding all around my seat before. Now its barely even noticeable.

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
Cool! Factory suspension still? Some have said they lose 8th gear on highway, did u experience this?
My brothers JL Rubicon has factory suspension and 315/70 KO2s so the weight added was minimal...he has had about 1-1.5 mpg hit but thats not much...acceleration is really no different he says...carries 8th gear all the time no problem...he has the 4.10 gears in the Rubi though so if you have a sport or sahara with the the 3.42s it will be a bigger hit on your acceleration and MPGs

Sponsored

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
My brothers JL Rubicon has factory suspension and 315/70 KO2s so the weight added was minimal...he has had about 1-1.5 mpg hit but thats not much...acceleration is really no different he says...carries 8th gear all the time no problem...he has the 4.10 gears in the Rubi though so if you have a sport or sahara with the the 3.42s it will be a bigger hit on your acceleration and MPGs

Thank you for the video. That is exactly The information I was looking for!

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I'll add mine. I drove 15k miles on my stock 33's (rubicon 8spd v6). I've now had 35's for about 2k miles. I also went with aftermarket wheels that are 5 pounds heavier than stock. I can feel the extra weight but it wasn't fast to begin with so it's very minimal in actual feel. Definitely not enough to be an issue. MPG is down about 1-1.5mpg. No issues with cruising in 8th gear. It may down shift a tiny bit earlier but I can't really even tell. It's pretty darn close to stock. Just make sure you get your speedo adjusted.

Also, not sure what tire you're looking at but it's gonna be more than 10 pounds per tire. The difference in K02's is 13 pounds. Other brands will be even more. Make sure you check weights before you make a purchase.

AlteredWalters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue
I have a Sahara that went from stock to 35s. If I were to rate a "noticeable" change from 1-10, with 1 being no change and 10 being a lot of change...id rate it about a 3.
It doesnt seem like the 8 speed auto transmission will have much problem handling 35s. I dont think regearing is necessary at all.

The ride, comfort, height, smoothness are all much better now than they were stock. A simple bump used to have me sliding all around my seat before. Now its barely even noticeable.
Any Lift? What Wheels and Tires? Offset on wheels/ or spacers?

McCoys

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Regearing isn't necessary because on the dana 30/35s, ideal gear ratio for 35 is only 3.73 unlike the rubicon.

Sponsored

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
So yesterday was my first really long drive since installing the 35’s. I was fully expecting to not see 8th gear and worse gas mileage, neither of which happened. I went from mud terrain tires to a hybrid so I think that helped balance out the mileage but I set the cruise control to 71 and I see 8th about as much as I did before. Just a little insight my jeep is a turbo Willys.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for feedback from those who have run stock 33s with the v6 (or the 2.0 i suppose) with 8spd auto and went to 35s. Preferably somebody who ran the 33s long enough to make a good comparison.

Was the acceleration change noticeable? Could you feel the extra weight? Gas mileage drastically different? Any other thoughts?

I guess I like the looks of the 35s and the extra clearance, but the weight concerns me. I have a rhinorack bb w pioneer platform, rtt, and tow a 1500lb trailer up the mountains. It's not that the jeep can't handle it, just the more weight I pile on, performance may suffer.

Looks like it's 10lbs more a tire but then factor in the rotational force of that extra 10lbs x4.

I currently have a jlur with the 4:10s and have no desire to pay for a regear.

Anyone who has experience with this change care to comment?

Thanks!
22k miles on original 33"s went to 315/70R17s on stock JLUR w/OEM wheels and absoulutely loved it, improved the handling so much ( I didn't have any of the standard issues stock). Tires measured 34.6" on the Jeep so probably as close to 35 as you can get under the weight of the Jeep. I didn't feel a difference in power loss throught the mountains. I since have added a 2" lift. and out of the last 3 tanks of gas I am getting 18 mpg of mostly city driving.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been researching tire sizes and weights. I guess the engineer in me didn't quit working when I retired. From what I gather, the rotational mass isn't the big swinger in the acceleration and stopping, but rather the moment arm (radius increase of the tire).

The increased weight of a tire/wheel seems to have the most adverse effect on ride quality. A heavier tire/wheel assembly increases the unsprung weight the suspension has to control. When a bump moves unsprung weight (all parts of the axle, tire, wheel, and other suspension parts that move) upward, it wants to continue to move upward and may even loose contact with the ground, since the inertia is higher than stock. This upward movement is trying to be arrested by the spring, but ultimately moves the entire vehicle up, causing you to feel a bump.

The larger diameter increases the distance from the center of the axle to the road surface and from the from the brake pad to the road surface This makes it harder for the driveline to turn the tire/wheel against the stationary vehicle and for the brake to slow the tire/wheel. Exactly the opposite of using a longer wrench on torquing a bolt. A little goes a long way.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
relatively stock JLUR, 2.0T automatic, Technically more torque than the v6, sooner too.
I went up to 315 Nitto Ridge Grapplers at about 72lbs per tire if I remember correctly. Yes, you can certainly feel the change/difference. the car doesn't quite have has much pep off the line anymore, the shifts happen a little bit later, and if I had to guess, you sacrifice about 1mpg, maybe 1.5.

Overall I'd do it again. Yes you can feel the Jeep is slightly lethargic compared to stock tires, but let me put it this way, had the vehicle came stock from the factory, I wouldn't have thought anything of it. Still plenty of power and more than capable getting on the freeway, going through mountain passes, needing to overtake, etc. Don't forget to do a Tazer or comparable product to recalibrate tire size so your fuel, mileage, and mpg readings are accurate.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I went from 31 to 34 on the 2.0 and I feel like 35’s would be no big deal at all
Sponsored