Sponsored

Those who don't daily drive their Jeep..

Uncommon Sense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray '22 392XR
Daily drive mine... I figure work sucks, so at least I can drive a truck I like before and after work. Knowing I'm driving my 392 is what helps me get up in morning to show up my sh!tshow job.

Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
My JL is more of a toy/hobby type of thing. I commute about 90-95 miles a day round trip to and from my daily grind. I picked up an economy car to drive to work after the last time gas prices climbed.. 2014ish? I remember thinking, "damn, I am literally racking miles and maintenance for a truck that I am not using to its capacity." All while having a monthly fuel bill of 600-800 bucks. Probably the smartest thing I ever did honestly. That and my Jeep is a ticket magnet in CA. I am getting to old to want to play the games with CHP here. So for now, the Jeep hardly comes out of the garage unless it's time to hit the trails, which unfortunately may not happen much at all this year due to workload. So I might as well continue the build. I recently picked up a trailer to shuttle it for its next rounds of mods in the coming months. Still not 100% sure if it's going to be a permanent trailer queen though.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
LOVE IT! AHHH!!!

I used to have a 300c in silver like that. I still sometimes look at used car listings and daydream about buying a lightly used one to fix up real nice and stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those who don't daily drive their Jeep.. 1660289350056

Did you hang out on LXForums? XD Your car looks familiar. I always wanted to join one of the Vegas trips (because we had a place out there!) but at the time I wasn't even 21. Sigh.

Ahh I miss that car. Those were fun times. So many road trips.

To answer OP's question:

My Jeep is my only (personal) vehicle. We have a Cadillac as the "family car" for when we go out on family trips. Since I work from home now, I.. barely drive lol. I use it to go to the store and run errands, and head to the office once in a while.

Last edited:

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I don’t daily drive mine. I have company car for that. It’s a 2020 Ford Explorer station wagon. I miss my Jeep constantly. I drive from Charlotte to Raleigh quite often. The Ford is comfortable and spunky enough but it is an on road vehicle. In my Jeep, if I don’t like what’s in front of me, I’ll jump a curb and find a different route. The ford does not have that capability. However, I do appreciate not having to put miles on my Jeep.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
That and my Jeep is a ticket magnet in CA. I am getting to old to want to play the games with CHP here.
What are you doing to get stopped by the CHP? From what I have seen they don't really care how fast you go.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
What are you doing to get stopped by the CHP? From what I have seen they don't really care how fast you go.
Dumb stuff like tires stick outside the fenders, and window tint, easy probable cause. I also don't live near the large metro areas, so really the 101 and the 1 is about all the main highways for me. CHP has nothing but time, and they do enjoy nailing people for speeding in my area too. But really my JL isn't a hot rod and I don't drive it like it is. With close to 500 miles a week of driving to work on the 101 it's only a matter of time. I want to say I generally get at least 1 fix it ticket a year. Which is why I commute in a bland Honda that blends in as well as cheaper to operate.

The last fix it ticket I received in the Jeep was last year leaving my neighborhood. It was for tint on the windshield which was only 50%. I know it's illegal, but it was so such a light shade that it didn't effect what I could see at night and wanted to try it out since our windshields seem to only last a year before I pick up a rock and need it replaced. Needless to say the officer was super cool about it. Ignored my front driver/passenger windows and ticketed me for the windshield. No big deal.. So I remove it and go down to their station to get it signed off. Well I was smart enough to go topless and doorless because the inspecting officer would write me another. He walks out to inspect and doesn't look at the ticket and asks me where my doors are. I told him it's summer time and it's completely legal to drive it that way. I mention that the ticket involves my windshield, so I don't know why my doors have anything to do with it. He took me inside and tried to threaten me with jail time for another tint infraction. LMAO! PLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE... you mean this commie state of CA releases thieves, child molesters, and murders left and right, but you're going to give me jail time for tint.. sounds like a waste of tax payer dollars to me..

Anyways.. I'm sure everywhere else CHP has better things to do but in my parts you definitely risk a speeding ticket above 75. At 80 you may get away with it during rush hour.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Anotherwillsmith

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS
Dumb stuff like tires stick outside the fenders, and window tint, easy probable cause. I also don't live near the large metro areas, so really the 101 and the 1 is about all the main highways for me. CHP has nothing but time, and they do enjoy nailing people for speeding in my area too. But really my JL isn't a hot rod and I don't drive it like it is. With close to 500 miles a week of driving to work on the 101 it's only a matter of time. I want to say I generally get at least 1 fix it ticket a year. Which is why I commute in a bland Honda that blends in as well as cheaper to operate.

The last fix it ticket I received in the Jeep was last year leaving my neighborhood. It was for tint on the windshield which was only 50%. I know it's illegal, but it was so such a light shade that it didn't effect what I could see at night and wanted to try it out since our windshields seem to only last a year before I pick up a rock and need it replaced. Needless to say the officer was super cool about it. Ignored my front driver/passenger windows and ticketed me for the windshield. No big deal.. So I remove it and go down to their station to get it signed off. Well I was smart enough to go topless and doorless because the inspecting officer would write me another. He walks out to inspect and doesn't look at the ticket and asks me where my doors are. I told him it's summer time and it's completely legal to drive it that way. I mention that the ticket involves my windshield, so I don't know why my doors have anything to do with it. He took me inside and tried to threaten me with jail time for another tint infraction. LMAO! PLLEEEAAAASSSSEEEE... you mean this commie state of CA releases thieves, child molesters, and murders left and right, but you're going to give me jail time for tint.. sounds like a waste of tax payer dollars to me..

Anyways.. I'm sure everywhere else CHP has better things to do but in my parts you definitely risk a speeding ticket above 75. At 80 you may get away with it during rush hour.
Hmm. Don't have that problem in Alabama. No wait, scratch that.. When I was much younger I nailed a tree (we'll say I was drifting) on a single-lane private gravel road. Called the cops because my truck wasn't drivable. He wrote me a couple tickets for some of the craziest things and threatened every thing he could think of - too fast for conditions (obvious), failure to maintain lane (i'll give him that one), destruction of private property (the tree in the woods), asked me to roll my windows up so he could tell me my tint was illegal (it was), told me my tail lights weren't street legal (they were). Looking back I guess he was trying to scare me straight but he just made himself look like an idiot. Judge told me to plea no contest and then threw the tickets out.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. Don't have that problem in Alabama. No wait, scratch that.. When I was much younger I nailed a tree (we'll say I was drifting) on a single-lane private gravel road. Called the cops because my truck wasn't drivable. He wrote me a couple tickets for some of the craziest things and threatened every thing he could think of - too fast for conditions (obvious), failure to maintain lane (i'll give him that one), destruction of private property (the tree in the woods), asked me to roll my windows up so he could tell me my tint was illegal (it was), told me my tail lights weren't street legal (they were). Looking back I guess he was trying to scare me straight but he just made himself look like an idiot. Judge told me to plea no contest and then threw the tickets out.
I thought the same thing honestly. I'm sure it would have worked on a 16 year old.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I bought my Jeep as a recreational vehicle and something I could teach my daughters how to drive. I thought Id give them the Jeep too but Ive kinda grown attached to it. :) I also have a 4Runner Limited. However I don't have a daily commute since I work from home so both have really low miles.

I drive the Jeep when running most local errands, or if weather is nice for top down, or if going to hit Ft Lauderdale beach for a bit...like I will be doing here shortly ;)

I drive the 4Runner if hitting the mall/stores (soft top Jeep), also when have a lot to load up and most longer road trips.

Although last week we went to Key West for a week and we took the Jeep. It was a really nice drive on US1. AND we got a Jeep wave from nearly every jeep we passed, was pretty cool. Here in FTL its like 10% Jeep wave.

OP
OP
Anotherwillsmith

Anotherwillsmith

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUSS
I bought my Jeep as a recreational vehicle and something I could teach my daughters how to drive. I thought Id give them the Jeep too but Ive kinda grown attached to it. :) I also have a 4Runner Limited. However I don't have a daily commute since I work from home so both have really low miles.

I drive the Jeep when running most local errands, or if weather is nice for top down, or if going to hit Ft Lauderdale beach for a bit...like I will be doing here shortly ;)

I drive the 4Runner if hitting the mall/stores (soft top Jeep), also when have a lot to load up and most longer road trips.

Although last week we went to Key West for a week and we took the Jeep. It was a really nice drive on US1. AND we got a Jeep wave from nearly every jeep we passed, was pretty cool. Here in FTL its like 10% Jeep wave.
We drove to Key West in March and that trip is basically what sparked this Jeep purchase. I had a wrangler reserved through Turo and quickly decided that I would rather use that $1000 towards an actual car payment than a rental. Didn't get my Jeep until June but we really enjoyed the trip. Would love to do Baker's Cay Resort in Key Largo again sometime. That place was so nice! 😎