Those waiting on Broncos… will have to wait until summer 2021 or even 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Due to Coronavirus issues with their supply chain (slowdowns at their supplier for the removable roof panels), the Bronco has been delayed through summer 2021, and the manual transmission model with the Sasquatch package will not be available until 2022:

"Broncos equipped with the Sasquatch package and manual transmission will now move to the 2022 model year."

2021 Ford Bronco Delayed, Not Coming until Next Summer

It should be interesting to see if this results in a small spike in JL sales from people who don't want to wait a year and/or some collective sighs of relief at FCA.

Update: I didn't see the previous thread on this, so if the mods want to delete this one, that's fine, though the push of the manual transmission model to 2022 is new news.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ford fans have been waiting 10 years for this Bronco. Ten more months is not going to kill them.

Then again, Bronco’s launch has been delayed so many times already, it may get delayed a few more.

OP
OP

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
"Disruptions in supply lines" translates to "all of our parts are being made in China"
Actually Automotive News said this:

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. delayed production of the Bronco SUV after coronavirus-related logistics issues hampered German supplier Webasto's ability to equip a Michigan facility in time to make the vehicle's removable roof, according to people familiar with the situation.

Webasto in April of last year said it would invest up to $47.9 million in a new manufacturing plant in Plymouth Township, Mich., creating 441 new jobs. The project, supported by a $2.7 million grant from the state and a property tax abatement from the township, came after the supplier announced new contracts with Ford and other automakers.

Webasto declined to comment, referring questions to Ford. A Ford spokesman declined to name the supplier or specific issue involved in the Bronco delay, referring to the statement it issued last week announcing production would move to summer 2021.

The Detroit Free Press first reported on Monday that the delay stemmed from the vehicle's roof. Separately Monday, Hau Thai-Tang, Ford's global product development chief, told Bloomberg that the automaker has "one particular supplier that was really impacted by COVID because most of their tooling was coming from Europe," although he declined to name it.

He said Ford wanted to give them "sufficient time to do multiple quality loops to ensure that we deliver with quality."

Webasto was among the first suppliers to curtail flights earlier this year, halting travel to China in January after two employees in Germany became infected with the virus. Webasto ranks No. 55 on the Automotive News list of the top 100 global suppliers, with worldwide parts sales to automakers of nearly $4.2 billion in 2019.

Joe McCabe, CEO of AutoForecast Solutions, told Automotive News that the Bronco delay ultimately won't have a major impact.

"Ford can still build the vehicles," he said. "Get them ready, and as soon as the tops roll in, they can start strapping them on. That's the beauty of that vehicle."

Bronco order banks, which were supposed to open this week, will now open in mid-January for reservation holders to complete their purchase. They have until March 19 to finalize their dealer selection, place their order and agree to a final price. That deadline was originally set for Jan. 31.

The automaker has said it has roughly 165,000 reservations for the Bronco in the form of refundable $100 deposits.

Ford told customers it would provide them with FordPass Rewards points that can be used to purchase accessories as a reward for their patience.

"A lot of people have waited decades for Bronco," McCabe said. "Those people who are die-hards won't mind waiting another 60 or so days."

Sponsored

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Another example of ridiculousness.
The fear narrative is overdone.
Coronavirus. Its time to move on society. It was scary at first but the updated CDC infection fatality rates are so low as not to warrant further economic shutdown/slowdown. What's next? Are we going to do this every year for the flu?

Last edited:

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Coronavirus. Its time to move on society. Its was scary at first but the updated CDC infection fatality rates are so low as not to warrant further economic shutdown/slowdown. What's next? Are we going to do this every year for the flu?

Careful, the "Fear patrol" will come after you. I guess it is whatever narrative one decides to follow. Spot on regarding the flu question. I refuse to let fear dictate my life.

Sam

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Coronavirus. Its time to move on society. Its was scary at first but the updated CDC infection fatality rates are so low as not to warrant further economic shutdown/slowdown. What's next? Are we going to do this every year for the flu?
Don't want to get political but this is 100% correct.

The amount of media fear-mongering is pathetic and the VERY low death rate makes all these moves not needed.

Sorry

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t bother with facts. They can’t handle them. You’re always wrong. Now that’s insanity.

In terms of the Bronco, maybe this is a sign? You make that call. As for me, not interested.

I’ll see myself out.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I agree that fear is not the answer, but this thing is not a joke either. More Americans died of COVID yesterday than on 9-11. And the same happened the day before.

Having said that, at this point Ford is probably using COVID as an excuse to delay Bronco yet again. Dealers and customers had been growing impatient so Ford had to show the vehicle; clearly way before it was ready.

That vehicle has been in development since W was President.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Flu? what flu? we beat it!

Naturally, the CDC revised its data format and now you cannot find a rolling 1yr data like below.

WHONPHL45_small.gif

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I agree that fear is not the answer, but this thing is not a joke either. More Americans died of COVID yesterday than on 9-11. And the same happened the day before.

Having said that, at this point Ford is probably using COVID as an excuse to delay Bronco yet again. Dealers and customers had been growing impatient so Ford had to show the vehicle; clearly way before it was ready.

That vehicle has been in development since W was President.
That's what we are being told, but we don't know if those deaths are truly all COVID. At this point i have very little faith in what is coming out of the media and government's mouths. I do agree it's not "nothing", but it's not this end of the world thing it's being made out to be.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
As for the Bronco itself, there's a Ford dealer less than 3 miles from me (next to the Jeep dealer) so i look forward to being able to check it out. The wife has already vetoed adding a car until we buy a house and since i'm not willing to sell my JL to buy the Bronco, then 2021 or 2022 are of little impact to me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That's what we are being told, but we don't know if those deaths are truly all COVID. At this point i have very little faith in what is coming out of the media and government's mouths. I do agree it's not "nothing", but it's not this end of the world thing it's being made out to be.
Either the CDC or John Hopkins calculated that in 2020 we have had 300,000 more respiratory-related deaths than a normal year. This was when the "official" COVID count sat around 250,000. So, if anything, it appears we are undercounting COVID-related deaths.

The UK did a similar analysis and came up with similar results: year over year, respiratory deaths are up well in excess of the official COVID count.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.