Sponsored

Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Have the end caps on. Was going to take off when off roading but have yet to find anything getting in my way. May still take off for the look at some point.
TJ has a full width rock hard bumper...has never been in the way of getting on a ledge or rock.
Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Removed mine when I got home went stubby never went back. Almost 4 years.. Gets a lot of compliments. I love it.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yeah I love the look of the oem bumper with the end caps removed! I don't do any rock crawling ...occasional trails but they are tame compared to the pics I see on this site.

IMG_6143.jpg

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Two negative features of a full width bumper: 1) Mud and dirt accumulates on the top of bumper ends 2) The ends are in the way for climbing over obstacle

Back in the good old days with CJ and YJ, we just hacked off the ends of the c-channel front bumper. Have seen where a rig came down a slippery slope into a tree and folded the bumper into the tire, that was ugly but trail repairable.

[DELETED USER 82058]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Mine have powder-coat damage from the cap install from factory, so they stay on.

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Again, we are talking front bumpers here. In stubby configuration, the bumper is still the width of the body not including the fender flares. Utah seems to be the only state that calls out bumpers vs track width. Tire coverage/ fender flares is an entirely different matter as most laws I've read specify controlling the spray to the rear and you'd be hard pressed to claim the front bumper is remotely involved there. The way the CA law is worded, simply stating "sufficient" to control the spray of mud/water to the rear, a good lawyer will get you out of that ticket so long as it wasn't raining. If there's no mud or water present any/no fender coverage at all is sufficient for controlling the spray.
Nope, Washington and Idaho call it out, bumper must be width of the body, and wheels must be covered. It's not width of the body not including fenders, they are talking full body width, as in, OEM width.

Not saying it's enforced often, but I've been on the receiving end of the ticket for a narrow bumper in Washington State years ago, and I got read chapter and verse on it.

Idaho says that the bumper must be body width, not tire track width. 26" (top of bumper) max height above the ground (trucks) and 24" (other passenger vehicles). Like I said, rarely enforced. They have to want you on the side of the road for something else.

Washington has exceptions for older vehicles, as long as it's an OEM bumper. If the bumper was a wrap around that was several inches shorter than the body originally, it's fine, it meets the rules as produced under the standards of the time. Change it to a custom, and it has to be "body width". I got told that specifically by a shift supervisor and a station commander when I had to go talk to them about it. The officer that pulled my wife over originally on it and got a "fix it" ticket was a prick. I ended up escalating it, having to have it inspected, and got the full chapter and verse at that time.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Actually, I searched after asking the question amd this is what I found.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper A7EEC620-346C-4321-840A-1EE4A531BA99
Go with that then, but when building cars, we always used outside width.

Center to center would be better for bumper measuring, as it wouldn't need to cover the tires.

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I like the full length OEM steel bumper (end caps on). It is the “mustache” of the Jeep “face.” Kinda resembles my favorite artist, Salvador Dali. :LOL:
Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 63D029A6-56FA-4E10-A2EF-253889104A1B

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 9ECEAC61-D289-41CA-BF38-6002894993BE

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
I'm in CA and won't run a front plate and I removed the end caps on the bumper. Stuck in traffic today in Fresno and a California Highway Patrol officer 3 feet away across the median gave me a big thumbs up and a grin when he saw my Jeep :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper PXL_20220721_013911746

Most of the time if you are not being stupid or causing problems of some type the LEO's will leave you alone. If your behaving badly then you get what you deserve :(

Last edited:

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
That was in reference to the poster who was referring to the fender flares. There is no code in California that covers the width of the front bumper. Only that it has to be there to prevent impact to the body, and a stubby would still be legal.
ok thanks for clarification, Cause I thought that was talking about the front bumper covering the wheel...which under CA law the Can am Spyder is 3 wheels and no bumper covering the front. Everything manufactured of course has the covers/flares/flaps to prevent spray or whatever.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
By the way those caps on the front bust easy. I just cut some flat plastic and push plugged them in the same location. I bust about 3 running trails before I gave up.

I use the braille method for checking out ledges and steps.. drive into it to see if it's the tire or the bumper that hits first...

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 20220423_153724
Sponsored