Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I noticed that most Rubicon owners with the steel bumper run them full width rather than stubby. I understand from those leaving their Jeeps in stock form, but those that install lift and tires and lights etc... What's your reason/motivation to keep the bumper steel end caps on ?

I've been running it stubby and am on the fence about keeping it that way or not and would like to know your logic about how you run it.

My reason is mostly for weight reasons as my Jeep has the stance I want and am afraid these 18lbs might be the tipping point to make the front-end dive a bit.

Cheers.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
An important thing to remember is that in some (but not all) US states it's illegal to drive on public roads or highways without them. The front bumper must extend to the outer edges of the tire tread.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
An important thing to remember is that in some (but not all) US states it's illegal to drive on public roads or highways without them. The front bumper must extend to the outer edges of the tire tread.
Really uh.... Didn't know that. So some States have those rules while others let you ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Anyways, so technically, those with negative offset wheels are also breaking these rules even with the end caps on?!?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I have the Mopar steel bumper on my Sahara: I keep the end caps on precisely because it looks factory
View attachment 632235
It does look good too. Didn't realize you had that bumper too Aldo.

Another of my brainstorming argument, is that it looks quite a bit like the cheap oem bumper and stubbying it sets it apart. Everytime I see an oncoming Jeep, it's the bolts all over the bumper that tells me it has the steel bumper as it get closer.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I can’t find that in a single vehicle code in any state. There are a couple that say full body width, but on a Jeep that would be very debatable as the fender flares are not the body. That would rule out the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers as well. Not saying it isn’t stated somewhere in some obscure states vehicle code but I‘m not seeing it.

Sponsored

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
I can’t find that in a single vehicle code in any state. There are a couple that say full body width, but on a Jeep that would be very debatable as the fender flares are not the body. That would rule out the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers as well. Not saying it isn’t stated somewhere in some obscure states vehicle code but I‘m not seeing it.
California Vehicle Code Section 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
PS - With few exceptions, I don’t really like the look of the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers.
Yeah, I really like a few of the Rugged Ridge, but road salt being a reality here 4-5 months of the year, I didn't want to deal with the rust. I also had the steel bumper on my JKUR 10A and never saw a hint of rust in 5 years. So I knew that the JL bumper would do just as well.

Last edited:

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It takes 2 minutes to remove/install them with a power tool. The intent is to have full width protection/look when driving on the road, and can be removed when maximum clearance is needed ie offroad. Which one "looks" better is totally subjective and do as you want. If I were you, how others do and their reasonings/motivations should not matter.

The beauty is you have the options.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Really uh.... Didn't know that. So some States have those rules while others let you ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Anyways, so technically, those with negative offset wheels are also breaking these rules even with the end caps on?!?
I believe it has something to do with injuries and insurance. Bumper heights could keep you from being completely run over and some states still require helmets. Head injuries. People have to read fine print on insurance policies. You don’t want a surprise when it comes time to pay. No front plate required in some states ( don’t quite understand that one). Several arguments on that one from identification during robberies etc. you park it in a garage that defeats that one. States spend a lot of money on that second plate. Then there’s mud flap requirement and on and on. 🙄
Sponsored