First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
You do realize that the weight difference between the stubbied steel bumper and the plastic bumper is a mere 18lbs right ?
Do you realise that saving 18 lbs to you might be valued differently to me?
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I think that’s pretty obvious ;)
Agreed. By using the word "mere", there's an implication that the 18 lbs is not a worthwhile sacrifice. To which, I pointed out that some people value weight savings differently.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
You run them stubby so you can get a tire on an obstacle

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Oh boy, caught you on a bad day uh 🙄 hopefully tomorrow is a super one 👍
It was a pretty good day, thanks.

I came here trying to be helpful offering a point based upon my own experience and what’s working for me. You reply dismissing it while assuming your preferences are representative of everyone reading the thread. When called out, you reply with a (impressively) more passive aggressive form of “you mad bro?”

Cut this out, let’s be cordial and helpful to each other and everyone else.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
It was a pretty good day, thanks.

I came here trying to be helpful offering a point based upon my own experience and what’s working for me. You reply dismissing it while assuming your preferences are representative of everyone reading the thread. When called out, you reply with a (impressively) more passive aggressive form of “you mad bro?”

Cut this out, let’s be cordial and helpful to each other and everyone else.
What the heck are you talking about ’’assuming my preferences are representative of everyone’’ I came here, started a thread because I want people’s input. Just like you, my reply was meant to be informative by giving the weight difference between the bumpers, because when I went from the plastic to steel, I took the time the weight everything.

For some unexplained reason, you fealth attacked by my totally inoncent reply.

Now let’s agree to disagree and carry-on, nothing to see here.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
You do realize that the weight difference between the stubbied steel bumper and the plastic bumper is a mere 18lbs right ?
Wait... how much does the plastic bumper weigh!?!? Hell I may be saving weight with my aluminum bumper lmao

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
What the heck are you talking about ’’assuming my preferences are representative of everyone’’ I came here, started a thread because I want people’s input. Just like you, my reply was meant to be informative by giving the weight difference between the bumpers, because when I went from the plastic to steel, I took the time the weight everything.

For some unexplained reason, you fealth attacked by my totally inoncent reply.

Now let’s agree to disagree and carry-on, nothing to see here.
I said "assuming your preferences are representative of everyone" not "assuming my preferences are representative of everyone". If you're gonna put it in quotes, at least quote it right.

Again, I don't feel attacked. Why do you keep trying to attribute these things to me? It's cause ad hominins are easier than actually addressing the point, huh? Your weight comment was innocent, it's all your passive-aggressive "you mad bro" crap that I'm calling out. Disagree with me, I'd love to hear your thoughts, but we can all do without the "Oh boy, caught you on a bad day uh 🙄 hopefully tomorrow is a super one 👍"

I weighed the bumpers as well. 54.2 for the Steel and 24.4 for the plastic, both full length so it's apples to apples. To me, 30 lbs hanging on the front of the bumper is a pretty big deal.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Wait... how much does the plastic bumper weigh!?!? Hell I may be saving weight with my aluminum bumper lmao
I recorded 54.2 for the full steel bumper and 24.4 for the plastic. There mighgt be some variation there due to one or the other possibly not having the fog light... I can't remember.

Interestingly, the two tow hooks are about 1/3 of the plastic bumper weight. I have the Maximus 3 tow loops, so don't need the one in the bumpers. I'll shortly be replacing them with aluminium "U"s to hold the bumper on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Platic bumper is 35lbs with foglights and hooks still attached.

Full steel with foglights and hooks is 71..5 lbs

Both bumper end weight 17.6 lbs for the pair.

So in stubby mode, you are looking at 54lbs.

Steel skid plate weights same as bumper ends 17.6 lbs

DiscoLemonade

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I took my end caps off the first time I took it off-roading. Good thing too, otherwise I definitely would’ve gotten stuck on some the obstacles. Besides, it already has a flag post hole on the passenger side. Flags are necessary for the park I was at. I put the bolts back in and never bothered to reinstall the caps. Besides a little extra street safety, I didn’t see the point. Plus, I prefer the look
Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper C8177B87-93F5-4CE4-B724-6582AA4A7E43

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I noticed that most Rubicon owners with the steel bumper run them full width rather than stubby. I understand from those leaving their Jeeps in stock form, but those that install lift and tires and lights etc... What's your reason/motivation to keep the bumper steel end caps on ?

I've been running it stubby and am on the fence about keeping it that way or not and would like to know your logic about how you run it.

My reason is mostly for weight reasons as my Jeep has the stance I want and am afraid these 18lbs might be the tipping point to make the front-end dive a bit.

Cheers.
Personally I think it looks better as a full bumper, plus it adds protection as a daily driver should someone back in or hit the vehicle in the front -- rather than directly hitting the tire. If I were to want a 'stubby' I would get another bumper as the factory design, again IMO, looks better in full form.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I recorded 54.2 for the full steel bumper and 24.4 for the plastic. There mighgt be some variation there due to one or the other possibly not having the fog light... I can't remember.

Interestingly, the two tow hooks are about 1/3 of the plastic bumper weight. I have the Maximus 3 tow loops, so don't need the one in the bumpers. I'll shortly be replacing them with aluminium "U"s to hold the bumper on.
Platic bumper is 35lbs with foglights and hooks still attached.

Full steel with foglights and hooks is 71..5 lbs

Both bumper end weight 17.6 lbs for the pair.

So in stubby mode, you are looking at 54lbs.

Steel skid plate weights same as bumper ends 17.6 lbs
I think one of you guys’ scales might be broken:giggle: 54.2 and 71.5 for the full width steel bumper is a major mismatch with almost a 20 pound difference.

Reactions: AFD

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I think it looks better as a full bumper, plus it adds protection as a daily driver should someone back in or hit the vehicle in the front -- rather than directly hitting the tire. If I were to want a 'stubby' I would get another bumper as the factory design, again IMO, looks better in full form.
I agree. It looks like it had the end caps stolen or something...
Sponsored