Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Hi,

I left mine on, mostly because I don't want to chip bolts and give rust a head start, being in the salt belt.

Think one major reason for having them on is if in a accident the Jeep would be more inclined to drive over any vehicle it hits tire first, vs with a bumper end. Think of driving up a obstacle off road, without the ends you can tackle a taller obstacle to drive up.

Regards,
Jim
Had same bumper on my JKUR10A and played around with removing the caps and have had this present bumper on my JL for 2 years. I live in south eastern Canada where salt is everywhere for 4-5 months of the year and never ever saw a hint of rust on neither bumper or bolts. I just spray the bolts with rustproofing in autumn and that's it.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
An important thing to remember is that in some (but not all) US states it's illegal to drive on public roads or highways without them. The front bumper must extend to the outer edges of the tire tread.
SUVs are exempt from FMVSS, Part 581: Bumper Standard. However, each state can create and enforce their own vehicle codes.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
FYI.
Federal Rules on Cab and Body Components

49 CFR § 393.203

(a) The cab compartment doors or door parts used as an entrance or exits shall not be missing or broken. Doors shall not sag so that they cannot be properly opened or closed. No door shall be wired shut or otherwise secured in the closed position so that it cannot be readily opened. Exception: When the vehicle is loaded with pipe or bar stock that blocks the door and the cab has a roof exit.

(b) Bolts or brackets securing the cab or the body of the vehicle to the frame shall not be loose, broken, or missing.

(c) The hood must be securely fastened.

(d) All seats must be securely mounted.

(e) The front bumper must not be missing, loosely attached, or protruding beyond the confines of the vehicle so as to create a hazard.

There is

49 CFR § 581

It provides information on impact resistance of bumpers. It only applies to passenger vehicles. JL's are trucks?

Based on the above, doors being off seem to be more of an issue than having stubby bumpers?

Sponsored

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I noticed that most Rubicon owners with the steel bumper run them full width rather than stubby. I understand from those leaving their Jeeps in stock form, but those that install lift and tires and lights etc... What's your reason/motivation to keep the bumper steel end caps on ?

I've been running it stubby and am on the fence about keeping it that way or not and would like to know your logic about how you run it.

My reason is mostly for weight reasons as my Jeep has the stance I want and am afraid these 18lbs might be the tipping point to make the front-end dive a bit.

Cheers.
For me, it's more of a peace of mind thing. The most expensive bits on my Mojave sit right in that pocket between and front tires and the bumper, and leaving that area more exposed just for vanity's sake seemed like a bad decision.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
WA and ID must call out different rules for motorcycle class stuff like the can am Spyder which clearly does not fit this specific statute.
A lot of it comes down to federal regulation. If the D.O.T. certifies it, the states let it be.

Three wheelers seem to live in a space that has the states largely regulating them as three wheel motorcycles, kind of like trikes of old.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
I ended up taking my caps off to look a little different. MN statute states the bumper has to extend 10" from the frame which the stubby does.

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I lived in California for 20 years; drove Jeeps for fifteen of those. I was never, nor did I ever see anyone else get pulled over for the tires sticking past the fenders.
Over here, you will get pulled over if more than half the first corner tread block passes the fender.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Bottom line is that it's the regulations of the state the vehicle is registered in that matters. They're all slightly different. Some allow stubbys on-road, some don't. You have to check your state regulations. What someone from another state says is irrelevant, different rules apply to them. Literally.

This site is helpful. https://www.liftlaws.com/

Unfortunately I don't know of something similar that would be useful for the Canadians.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I ran it stubby back when I had the steel bumper. I've recently changed back to a Plastic Rubicon bumper to save weight.

Looking at the design of the steel bumper, I think anything over a 10 mph bump is gonna bend the center section. Personally, I think the little wings offer very little protection to the wheel.
You do realize that the weight difference between the stubbied steel bumper and the plastic bumper is a mere 18lbs right ?

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
I am not a mechanic, and my opinion should be taken as less than the cost of this post. That being said I went stubby because I'd prefer to hit something with my tire than my bumper. That end cap will get caught on a lot of things my tires will roll over. Plus I just don't think they provided much protection.

redwhiteandrew

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
I hit a deer with my mopar steel bumper last weekend and received no damage. He flew right into the end cap. Had I not had the end cap, he would have gone in the wheel well. I'll keep them on!

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I kept them on for additional protection, I've hit way too many deer in my life and like the reduced impactable front area that could come in contact with a deer, etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper IMG_2982 (1).JPG

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have the Mopar steel bumper on my Sahara: I keep the end caps on precisely because it looks factory
Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper IMG_2982 (1).JPG
Your jeep looks great! I have a few questions, where did you get your steel bumper did you do one in the back as well and finally did the weight make the from end droop? Thanks so much!
Sponsored