Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Nope, Washington and Idaho call it out, bumper must be width of the body, and wheels must be covered. It's not width of the body not including fenders, they are talking full body width, as in, OEM width.

Not saying it's enforced often, but I've been on the receiving end of the ticket for a narrow bumper in Washington State years ago, and I got read chapter and verse on it.

Idaho says that the bumper must be body width, not tire track width. 26" (top of bumper) max height above the ground (trucks) and 24" (other passenger vehicles). Like I said, rarely enforced. They have to want you on the side of the road for something else.

Washington has exceptions for older vehicles, as long as it's an OEM bumper. If the bumper was a wrap around that was several inches shorter than the body originally, it's fine, it meets the rules as produced under the standards of the time. Change it to a custom, and it has to be "body width". I got told that specifically by a shift supervisor and a station commander when I had to go talk to them about it. The officer that pulled my wife over originally on it and got a "fix it" ticket was a prick. I ended up escalating it, having to have it inspected, and got the full chapter and verse at that time.
WA and ID must call out different rules for motorcycle class stuff like the can am Spyder which clearly does not fit this specific statute.
Sponsored

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
PS - With few exceptions, I don’t really like the look of the vast majority of aftermarket bumpers.
I’m with you. Custom fabricators rarely can match the deep pockets of OEM suppliers that enable them to invest in the design-specific tooling and setup up front, and then don’t have the sales volume to recoup that design-specific capital outlay. Gotta respect the industrial might of companies that are masters of supply chain management. It shows in their product designs.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I actually prefer the look of the caps on, more balanced. Removed mine to clear tires. It’s fine, but I like the caps. I agree that the OEM steel bumpers, capped or not, look and perform better than most aftermarket and weigh less than almost every other steel option.

Sponsored

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
I keep mine on if I am driving my family around because I think ( correct me if wrong) air bag SRS system might not blast if you get hit on front tires going forward........
I take them off if alone for a week or more, I like both looks

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Correcting your wrong, air bag deployment is based on deceleration, they don't care why your vehicle suddenly slowed, only that it did. It's not like a vehicle bouncing (or not) off your tire would be any different than bouncing (or not) off your bumper.

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
Correcting your wrong, air bag deployment is based on deceleration, they don't care why your vehicle suddenly slowed, only that it did. It's not like a vehicle bouncing (or not) off your tire would be any different than bouncing (or not) off your bumper.
I don't fully understand , I was under the impression our jeeps had a sensor on the front of the frame that made the SRS system activate ?

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
Doesn't mater where the sensor is, it's based on deceleration. Sudden change in vehicle velocity will deploy the SRS. Does not matter where the accelerometer is located. The sensor is moving with the vehicle. Everything is relative. Ask Einstein, he'll confirm this theory.

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
Doesn't mater where the sensor is, it's based on deceleration. Sudden change in vehicle velocity will deploy the SRS. Does not matter where the accelerometer is located. The sensor is moving with the vehicle. Everything is relative. Ask Einstein, he'll confirm this theory.
Great time to remove the two ends until I get a fix it ticket in whatever state thinks they care about my safety.

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I ran it stubby back when I had the steel bumper. I've recently changed back to a Plastic Rubicon bumper to save weight.

Looking at the design of the steel bumper, I think anything over a 10 mph bump is gonna bend the center section. Personally, I think the little wings offer very little protection to the wheel.

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
ok thanks for clarification, Cause I thought that was talking about the front bumper covering the wheel...which under CA law the Can am Spyder is 3 wheels and no bumper covering the front. Everything manufactured of course has the covers/flares/flaps to prevent spray or whatever.
The bumper law does state that you have to have a front bumper only if your vehicle was designed for one. With the Can Am, you’d be fine since that’s the intended design.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase