Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper

ScottMA64

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr
I don't take the end pieces off my steel bumper. It may sound silly but the only reason I don 't is because there are so many deer around texas i'm afraid of hitting one right at the tire and messing up my suspension. Just rather leave the end caps on for protection.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I think one of you guysā€™ scales might be broken:giggle: 54.2 and 71.5 for the full width steel bumper is a major mismatch with almost a 20 pound difference.
Yeah, looks like my measurement was for stubby only. Sorry for any confusion.

Also, 35 even seems pretty heavy for the plastic bumper. I was shocked at how little it weighed. Maybe my impression was based on my version that had all the center cut out. Also, based on the hand feel of the sport bumper, I think the sport version might be a thicker material and possibly heavier.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I removed mine shortly after purchasing the Jeep. There is NO doubt I would have torn up the ends by now. I actually slammed into a rock that would have crushed my bumper end but hit the tire instead. It crumpled my driver side upper and lower control arms on that side. Would it have been better to hit the bumper end? I guess so but it would have destroyed it and I would have removed both anyway. Now I have stronger control arms and am VERY careful lol.

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
California Vehicle Code Section 27600
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
I live in Arizona where there are no rules but used to live in Cal. so I get it. Whatever a stateā€™s requirements, Iā€˜d think most people donā€™t think about such things and Iā€™d hope the police have better things to do. Personally, I think the bumper looks way cooler as a stubby plus you donā€™t see it very often. Thatā€™s my reason.

AndyB1097

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys 2-door
Since when does the front bumper caps have anything to do with "water or mud to the rear of the vehicle"!?
Probably zero. The Utah one however..
You are correct. That CA Vehicle Code section refers to fenders specifically for that reason (water and mud spray mitigation). Removing fenders in CA does provide police with probable cause to make a traffic stop for that section, and there is another section requiring bumpers, but I don't recall any restrictions on the bumper width.

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Manager in Automotive Aftermarket
I'm not a fan of the stubby bumper look so my end caps have stayed on. I haven't really had a need, so far, to take them off but I'd almost assuredly put them back on once I was done.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This happened while in stubby bumper mode and there was zero damage to the tie rod, sway bar, track bar, drag link, control arms, front axle, FAD, knuckles, wheels, tires, grill, headlights, etc. The plastic license plate holder did break off though.

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 1658773104751

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 1658773390084

Jeep Wrangler JL Those of you with the Mopar Steel bumper 1658773652614

Sponsored

OCEANDIVING954

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 wheels, 4 wheel drives....
This happened while in stubby bumper mode and there was zero damage to the tie rod, sway bar, track bar, drag link, control arms, front axle, FAD, knuckles, wheels, tires, grill, headlights, etc. The plastic license plate holder did break off though.

Are we allowed to say ( generationally speaking) impressive!!!!

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I lived in California for 20 years; drove Jeeps for fifteen of those. I was never, nor did I ever see anyone else get pulled over for the tires sticking past the fenders.
The irony would be in a state that doesn't go after shoplifters, they would stop people for bumper width. I doubt it.

Robby Robot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nathantothrow.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Occupation
KZ4KNR | Business Intelligence Consultant
If you're off road there's plenty of advantages to going stubby. But on the street it may be illegal. I still keep my endcaps on because it reduces the chance of rollover in a partial front collision. The extra 18 lbs., even that far forward, should not be enough arm to change your handling dynamics.