Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I lived in or near Tucson for ten years, and this kind of thing happened frequently, often with way worse results. They have many roads and highways built across normally dry beds that can fill in seconds. Sometimes people even think they can drive through the water when it's running. They're often found 5 or so miles downstream.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
How cool!
I wouldn’t wanna know the alternate sequence of events if his vehicle didn’t have easily removable roof panels. Especially with that adorable toddler as a passenger.
I mean the rescuers are literally just standing in the river? Open door, carry toddler to safety?

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
I mean the rescuers are literally just standing in the river? Open door, carry toddler to safety?
Since you have questionmark's here, I will assume you are asking these as a question.
So...
The rescue team, is walking with stabilizers (the poles in their hands), they are for testing the depth, checking for obstacles, & helping with getting & keeping a foot hold. They then walk in a V or diamond shape, to get the water to flow around them, like geese in flight. Watch the video & see that the rescuer carrying the person gets surrounded by the other rescuers. That formation also helps floating debris go around them. Hard to see in the video, but they should be tethered together & tethered to the shore, with the rope to the shore at an angle down stream. So, if they lose their footing the rope at an angle with shift them to shore.

As for opening a door in this situation. That could cause water to rush out, carrying the people away or even ripping them out of the rescuers arms. So, extracting the people from the roof is optimum.

There is a lot more I could explain, but don't want to clutter this thread.

Again, I give a big :like::captain: to that rescue team. The people are safe & went home, the rescuers are safe & they went home after their shift. That's the way you want things to go!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Since you have questionmark's here, I will assume you are asking these as a question.
So...
The rescue team, is walking with stabilizers (the poles in their hands), they are for testing the depth, checking for obstacles, & helping with getting & keeping a foot hold. They then walk in a V or diamond shape, to get the water to flow around them, like geese in flight. Watch the video & see that the rescuer carrying the person gets surrounded by the other rescuers. That formation also helps floating debris go around them. Hard to see in the video, but they should be tethered together & tethered to the shore, with the rope to the shore at an angle down stream. So, if they lose their footing the rope at an angle with shift them to shore.

As for opening a door in this situation. That could cause water to rush out, carrying the people away or even ripping them out of the rescuers arms. So, extracting the people from the roof is optimum.

Again, I give a big :like::captain: to that rescue team. The people are safe & went home, the rescuers are safe & they went home after their shift. That's the way you want things to go!
Most definitely the Freedom panels made it easier, but I remember a similar rescue of a family in an FJ Cruiser on Fordyce years ago. They could have climbed out the window on to the roof had they not had the freedom panels. I just thought the thread title was giving far too much credit to something that really wasn't a factor in the rescue?

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
I just thought the thread title was giving far too much credit to something that really wasn't a factor in the rescue?
Gotcha, you are probably correct in that respect.

It is interesting though that someone else asked if the freedom panels can be used as a float. I will have to test that out soon. Probably not the best thing, but it could definitely help if it can hold someone up.
:rock:

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ahhh ya know, I usually buy cars without sunroofs because i like the higher roof and not having to worry about clogged sunroof drains. This makes me want to reconsider that lol. Cool story!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Boy that poor guys wife is never going to let him hear the end of it. You KNOW she’s not letting him get another off road vehicle. Strictly mini-vans till the kids are 25! And not awd mini vans either.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm glad everyone's ok.

When I first read the thread's title I wondered to myself if Freedom Panels can be used as floatation devices.

Can they? Do they float (enough to keep a person above water)...as opposed to keeping the Wrangler from submerging if upsidedown....
I thought the same. I thought the Freedom panels were used as a floatation device.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So...

No expert here. I see your in the rescue business. I would also think water pressure would make the doors harder to open. And once the doors open, the doors or cabin can act like a sail in the wind? Water rushes in and carry the vehicle away more?

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Most definitely the Freedom panels made it easier, but I remember a similar rescue of a family in an FJ Cruiser on Fordyce years ago. They could have climbed out the window on to the roof had they not had the freedom panels. I just thought the thread title was giving far too much credit to something that really wasn't a factor in the rescue?

Ever tried opening a door against a raging current? It ain't gonna happen, kind of like trying to open a car door while going 100mph down the freeway... And while they could possibly have crawled through an open window, the Freedom panels being removed made it far safer, especially for the kids, to crawl onto the top of the Jeep.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Opening doors when your vehicle is flooded is not a walk in the park as you assume for multiple reasons, some of which have already been stated by other members.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Boy that poor guys wife is never going to let him hear the end of it. You KNOW she’s not letting him get another off road vehicle. Strictly mini-vans till the kids are 25! And not awd mini vans either.
LMFAO so so soooo true

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
No expert here. I see your in the rescue business. I would also think water pressure would make the doors harder to open. And once the doors open, the doors or cabin can act like a sail in the wind? Water rushes in and carry the vehicle away more?
Correct, and the rushing water can then carry away the occupants, & knock the rescuers off their feet. One of our main rules is make sure the rescuer doesn't need to be rescued. At least we try to maintain that.
Sponsored