Sponsored

This may sound like a dumb question but - can I take my JLURXR through an automatic car wash???

Hadriel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
I’m just looking at this thing and wondering if it’s gonna fit (with the 35’s and all) and if I have to worry about things like my fender flares getting ripped off (irrational fear) or other bits. Tips here are greatly appreciated and TIA - honestly not trolling.

also what are folks experiences ceramic coating these?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m just looking at this thing and wondering if it’s gonna fit (with the 35’s and all) and if I have to worry about things like my fender flares getting ripped off (irrational fear) or other bits. Tips here are greatly appreciated and TIA - honestly not trolling.
It should fit and nothing should get ripped off.

However, since you ask about ceramic coating, I suggest hand washing vs. the automatic car wash. Take the time and do it right yourself. The only car wash I ever go to, has a flat track that vehicles are driven onto and is hand wash. You can see the type of track here:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!...2ahUKEwjInqOmrun4AhVrD1kFHef5CyIQoip6BAhVEAM#

Cunky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
You can measure the width of your jeep and call the car wash ahead of visiting to confirm you'll fit. I don't think you're going to run into any issues. That said you're driving a $60K+ jeep - you should probably avoid taking it to the auto wash as it will 100% swirl your paint.

If you're thinking about ceramic coating it, keep in mind you cannot take it to the auto wash without seriously impacting the ceramic. PPF might be a better option for you.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
There's a car wash here that other Jeep owners (Facebook group) swear by. It has a track that can accommodate wider wheels, something about the cloth used on the spinners, and they'll turn off the top one if you ask them to for your soft top (I hear they also have ducks for Jeeps now). I went through once. With the top brush thing off, it missed some spots on the back window and hood, but otherwise, it seemed pretty safe during the wash. However, I thought the dryer was going to rip apart my top before it was done. I haven't been back.

I either wash at home, running a hose down through a basement window to a utility sink so I have hot, softened water. Or I take it to a self serve/coin op wash when I'm in a hurry or it's too cold for washing at home.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
There are much larger vehicles E.G. trucks and full size SUV’s going through car washes. Before the JL I drove a Tahoe on 35’s and it fit. No worries.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
The car wash will make a stock antenna bounce off your windshield A-pillar making little nicks in the paint.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I recommend avoiding the ones with the spinning brushes or towels, they tend to retain sand and grit and it can be like washing your jeep with sandpaper.

I’ll use a touch less one at a local gas station every once in a while, it does a really good job acutally, jeep fits in OK, the tires are wide enough that it sometimes takes a bit of maneuvering to get the wash to sense the presence of my tire, but the wash itself is pretty good. I usually hand wash though.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
I'm on 37s and it fits, but hate the way the antenna gets twisted around.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
We have a number of drive through car washes around here, Tag-N-Go, Quick Quack, etc. I have not had problems with getting paint swirls from using them on other cars in the past, so although possible, I don't think that is necessarily a guarenteed outcome. You certainly run the risk though. My TRX wont fit through the drive through car washes, because it is the same width as a dually pickup truck. My Jeeps have fit through, including my 392 XR. Everything stays attached, but I don't like how the automatic wash treats the Jeep. Every time I go through I swear the antenna is going to get ripped off. And when the spinning brushes sweep across the back of the Jeep they hit the spare tire with enough force that it shakes the whole Jeep, and makes me wonder it it will eventually damage the spare tire carrier or the tailgate. I have only taken my 392 XR through the Tag-N-Go one time, and don't intend to do it again. I will just wash it where I wash the TRX, which is an automatic car wash that is touchless.

Last edited:

Sponsored

reallynervous

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392XR, 2015 GC Summit
So I ceramic coated mine a couple of weeks after bringing it home. Best decision I've ever made. I hand wash every few weeks but really don't have to. I do a quick wash to get the gritty stuff off the paint and out of the nooks and crannies. But, even a month after a wash the Jeep still looks spotless. Everything slides right off, it is amazing. They coated the entire thing to include the glass, the wheels, calipers, all the black trim and even the interior. It never looks dirty. My good friend paid the dealership to do the "ceramic coating" on the Ram he bought recently and it is night and day the protection I have over his and he paid more than I did. I would attach pics but I'm at work right now. My Jeep will never go through an automatic car wash!!

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
There are some that will pull you through I’ve yet to find a decent one that actually cleaned and didn’t miss spots. I have a soft top so they’d turn the top brush off which means the hood doesn’t get cleaned.

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I'll join the camp of "wash it yourself". Car washes normally don't do a great job on run-on-the-mill amorphous commuter cars and SUVs, and they do even worse on Jeeps. The gaps between the body and fender flares are especially troublesome for a machine to get to.

While I'm on the subject: rubbing tubing between the body and fender flares is a godsend for preventing stupid little rocks and sand grains from getting lodged down in there.

Unheard

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
It should fit and nothing should get ripped off.

However, since you ask about ceramic coating, I suggest hand washing vs. the automatic car wash. Take the time and do it right yourself. The only car wash I ever go to, has a flat track that vehicles are driven onto and is hand wash. You can see the type of track here:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1s0x89c264ad9c5537d9:0x131460e530f4b505!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMA8j89GASbWMDavGlOoJINmZipDlHI5qsTtFdc=w284-h160-k-no!5sultrasonic rockville centre - Google Search!15sCgIgAQ&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMfVo6LbjFJUyLzzzfgpou9kTNGN4z2Uf2MW2Ad&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjInqOmrun4AhVrD1kFHef5CyIQoip6BAhVEAM#
One of the images from that link. :LOL:

1657294908769.png

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
better not it might melt
Sponsored