Sponsored

This is why off-road trails get closed in the San Juans and elsewhere.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
this sucks. I've seen this mentality since I was real young, and it's only gotten worse/ more ignorant with the proliferation of ATV's, UTV's, and even 4 door Jeeps. Too many casuals and yahoos who think they can do whatever they want. You try to tell people "Hey- don't do that, you're going to get it closed down for everyone" and you're met with an unintelligible string of profanity, insults, threats, and something along the lines of "You can't tell me what to do and restrict mah FREEDUMBZ!"

Short of having a forest ranger cuff, stuff, impound their toys and fine the ever loving piss out of these idiots, there really isn't a perfect solution.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
What is it they are doing exactly which is irresponsible?
In Colorado basically any off road vehicle is required to stay on marked trails and roads. Other states may not have rules like this and people can drive all over. But not in CO. Sadly many don’t inquire into the rules of the area and do destructive things to the natural habitat.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I know this is a little off topic, but had a similar "don't give a sh*t" attitude from a few UTV drivers this last weekend. Went mt biking in Sedona area on Saturday, and for some reason, traffic was an absolute nightmare going from Village of Oak Creek into Sedona. 3 UTV's decided to use the bike lane and the gravel off to the side of the road to pass traffic. :headbang:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
All folks - hikers, runners, cyclists, skiers, motorcyclists, 4x4’s, etc Should live by a “leave no trace’ ethos. Folks who don’t follow that ethos will eventually ruin it for all. 4x4 folks have the highest and hardest responsibility as a 3,000 pound vehicle will do a whole lot more damage in a short period of time than a pair of hiking boots and trekking poles.

I am saddened by the picture above and, assuming that this was NOT part of a defined trail, I’m ashamed by it.

But the incident at the playa in Death Valley a few years ago is even more disturbing to me. ..... 10-MILES of utter vandalism....... 500 FEET have been restored.....

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/volunteers-erase-tire-tracks-from-death-valleys-racetrack-playa/

the malicious act of an idiot who doesn’t have the honor or personal dignity to turn himself/herself into authorities. Perhaps a Higher Authority years from now will send him on an express elevator..... way, way, way down.

@COBill:

you may wish to send the insta-thingie to either the federal land management of the area or the State environmental folks. This image and the insta-jibber account should make these folks easy to find should the landowner/agency wish to do so.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
How did I know it was going to be a tourist from TX. Can't stand that "I can do whatever I want because I spend money here" attitude.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Right off the bat I am going to say that I am a hard core ohv/jeep access advocate. I hate with a passion roads and trails being closed.

Having said that, please remember that the vast majority of off road users are careful about the impact that they make on the environment.

The issue is when the destructive behavior of the few become the poster child for wholesale closures. Truly the few mar and distort the actions of the many. We are under the microscope. If even one person violates no trace, it directly impacts all of us. Many so called environmental groups are actively seeking to kick us off lands. Please don't give them the ammunition to shoot us with.

Down here I San Diego county the forest service is actively closing any road not considered essential. All in the name of conservation.

I know that I am preaching to the choir when I say that once a trail or road is closed, it is almost impossible to get it open again.

What can we do? Become the voice of reason. Practice what we preach. If you see something, say something.

Please don't let this be the last generation who can enjoy the freedom of exploration of our lands with a jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I get sick of seeing all the trash left on trails. Of course, when you see the roadsides everywhere, it isn't a surprise. People like to shit in thier own bed, and think nothing of it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just saw this. Good post @COBill

Generally the authorities will need photographic proof, seems like the brain trusts are shooting themselves in the foot here.... although I can't imagine the Forest Svc would bother trying to prosecute them across state lines now

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Please remember that many people who what to close access for us are also working on closing areas for ohv's, mountain bikes and even hikers. A few years ago there was a push for a plan called "the wilding of America", which called on closing almost 50% of the country to all public access. Luckily that didn't happen. As a group we need to be aware of our own actions and just as important, be aware of what the anti-access people are doing. Be aware, be active.
Sponsored