Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I’ve been thinking of doing that and was afraid of this problem. How did you end up doing it? Heat? Chisel?
I tried heat and it did not work. I ended up drilling the rubber bushing trying to get the the center out. Then used a ball joint press to rip the metal sleeve out of the center of the bushing. Then used a chisel trying to break the outer metal sleeve out. I ended up carefully cutting the metal sleeve with a Sawzall so that I could collapse it and pound it out.

Profanity was used a y many times.
Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Not jeep related however 2 weeks ago. Should-a been an easy pull and drop new throne on. Nope. built in 1959 and the OE flange is rusted where the left bolt wouldn't stay in the grove. 2-3 hr job took 8-10 hours (chiseling tile out of the way and working a new flange mount in. I opted not to try and drill out the old flange and just use a new thing that to tap-con to the concrete). After the ordeal I checked some youtube vids and glad I opted not to drill out that flavored behemoth

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT 1707803633376

rdfact

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURXR, '01 WJ
I tried heat and it did not work. I ended up drilling the rubber bushing trying to get the the center out. Then used a ball joint press to rip the metal sleeve out of the center of the bushing. Then used a chisel trying to break the outer metal sleeve out. I ended up carefully cutting the metal sleeve with a Sawzall so that I could collapse it and pound it out.

I used the same process on the leaf spring bushings on my ‘90 F250. An air chisel helped to speed the process.

As for easy jobs that turned into a nightmare: I had a 1980 Nissan 280ZX. I was changing the oil and you had to jack it up to get to the drain plug since it was low to the ground. A good jack point was the cross member that was under the oil pan. I had finished the oil change and went to lower the jack and the car slipped off the jack and dented the oil pan. It looked like a small dent but so I thought it would be OK. Started the car and CLANK CLANK CLANK. I was young and lived in an apartment with no garage so had to bite the bullet and have it towed to a shop. They dropped the oil pan and pounded out the dent.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Not jeep related however 2 weeks ago. Should-a been an easy pull and drop new throne on. Nope. built in 1959 and the OE flange is rusted where the left bolt wouldn't stay in the grove. 2-3 hr job took 8-10 hours (chiseling tile out of the way and working a new flange mount in. I opted not to try and drill out the old flange and just use a new thing that to tap-con to the concrete). After the ordeal I checked some youtube vids and glad I opted not to drill out that flavored behemoth

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT 1707803633376
Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT 065f2559-0f5a-484e-8904-bd6f1313ed20_text

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link

So, pretty much how I imagined I would fuck with it for 3 hours. Nice:fist bump:

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
EVERY task I attempt has been, and ALWAYS will be, hindered by an endless search for the tool that I literally "just had in my MF hand 30 seconds ago".
It pisses me off just thinking about it.
I lose tool that I had in my hands 22 seconds ago.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I was installing my winch and over torqued a bolt.
1665639299168.jpg
1665639388923.jpg
1665639429389.jpg
I have gone to where I weld a nut to the broken bolt. The heat usually help me to pull it out.

Last edited:

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Have to say the EASIEST thing I've done are the differential fluid changes. Those squishy bags made all the difference.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Yep, gotta love this topic. I could go on for pages and pages.

On the jeep though my spot lights didn't come with enough wire. So first attempt the switch got bolted to a spot next to the OBD conn. Wife upset she can't use them, because she can't see or reach the switch.

So second attempt I managed to reroute the wires and gain about a foot. Pulled the driver's side dash somewhat apart. Thought I had a good spot, but no, my bad the switch to end of the connection was too deep. Ended up butchering behind the dash some. You can't see it but what a cluster F! 30 min. Job, turned into about 4 hours including cleaning everything up. (I didn't take any pic.s)

I have actually managed to explain it to my wife that engineering and mechnicing, neither are perfect disciplines. Lol.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I was changing the differential oil in my 2002 Corvette, had drained everything out and was using this pump to refill the oil:

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT 1707829268741

One of my other pumps has a little thing on the end that does not come off and is meant to keep the tube in the opening while you pump. That's what I thought the thing I circled in red in the pic was. Turns out it was merely a connector to connect both of the tubes in the pic. As you could have predicted, that little rubber thing came off inside my differential. Adding to the fun, you can't just take the cover off the differential in a C5 Vette, you have to go in through the side and basically have to disassemble the axle to get to it. Some people on the Vette forums were telling me to just let the gears chop it up and then drain the oil.

Instead, I ordered an Amazon borescope and one of those little flexible metal claw/grabber things and after several hours managed to fish that little rubber connector out of the diff through the oil fill hole, which was smaller than the size of a quarter.

Should have been a 20 minute job.

I still have the little rubber connector sitting on my garage workbench as a trophy (kinda like how Predators keep skull trophies from their hunts).

Last edited:

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
now that is some real carnage - care to share some details for the eager audience here?
Oil squirter for the number 4 cylinder wasn't aligned properly. Lack of lubrication on the wrist pin caused excessive friction and heat. Engine only has 2,000 hrs on it, but that is all it takes. It now has a new ventilation hole in the side of the block.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Any work under the driver-side dash takes 3x longer for me than for most people. I'm too old and overweight to maneuver in that footwell. I inevitability call my wife (5' / 100 lbs) for help.
I think the secret to that is to pull the seats out. At least it works for me.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
Oil squirter for the number 4 cylinder wasn't aligned properly. Lack of lubrication on the wrist pin caused excessive friction and heat. Engine only has 2,000 hrs on it, but that is all it takes. It now has a new ventilation hole in the side of the block.
thanks!

And that would do it, yes. Not enough oil, not enough lubrication = new block ventilation hole on the side (I love that term!). Gives a real mental image of the craziness going on inside our engine cylinders when revving!

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
I think the secret to that is to pull the seats out. At least it works for me.
I have to try this approach one of these days... the space down there is most definitely not user-friendly as @Boatbuilder88 said.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Here's a fun one from last year.

My wife wanted hinge steps, easy enough. I was careful to do it "right", right torx socket, hammered to break the paint, hand turn. The last fucking hinge bolt strips in one turn.

I ended up having to drill through the width of the bolt to separate the head, had to use an easy out to break the head out. The rest of the bolt shaft was left in some sprung nut inside. Then I had to pull the door innards out to get a long needle nose in to push it out so I could slot it for a flat head. That bent the spring nut and it took me another hour to get the new bolt to grab the threads.

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT IMG_5743.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT IMG_5747

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT IMG_5749.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT IMG_5768

Jeep Wrangler JL This is what perseverance looks like while working on a Jeep.  What's your story of "this should be a quick fix"....NOT IMG_5750.JPG
Sponsored