Conman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
On the spare? Jesus. Who does that?
The tire store messed it up when I got new tires, I didn't find out until the first time I rotated the tires.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Tire shop chewed it up, muffler shop could fix it. Probably the cheapest "fabricators" you'll find. 20 bucks on the side and the right thread bolt you'll be back in business.

I believe the thread is 14mm x 1.50

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
[Impact wrench] On the spare? Jesus.

Who does that?
Every tech in every service bay at every dealer I've ever used, given the opportunity.

I now write "Hand torque all lug nuts/other fasteners" on every service order that I sign when the keys are handed over. I once had to pay to replace two wheel studs that were damaged by a tech who used an impact carelessly. The dealer disclaimed responsibility, because of course they did.

PA has an annual vehicle state safety inspection requirement. The techs have to remove at least two wheels to examine the brakes. This forces me to remain frosty on the subject.

I sometimes think impact wrenches should be sold with counter-clockwise (i.e., loosening) rotation only. Yes, time is money, but a dealer service appointment isn't a NASCAR pit stop, FFS.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Every tech in every service bay at every dealer I've ever used, given the opportunity.

I now write "Hand torque all lug nuts/other fasteners" on every service order that I sign when the keys are handed over. I once had to pay to replace two wheel studs that were damaged by a tech who used an impact carelessly. The dealer disclaimed responsibility, because of course they did.

PA has an annual vehicle state safety inspection requirement. The techs have to remove at least two wheels to examine the brakes. This forces me to remain frosty on the subject.

I sometimes think impact wrenches should be sold with counter-clockwise (i.e., loosening) rotation only. Yes, time is money, but a dealer service appointment isn't a NASCAR pit stop, FFS.
Oh, I see it all the time at the corners but to use an impact on the spare holder that full of plastic? That's just dumb.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Looking at the threads and the rust that is not impact wrench damage. That is rot and rust.

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have the one I removed when I upgraded my tire carrier. If you travel through North Carolina on I-77 or I-85 near Winston-Salem I could give it to you. Could be found locally in a salvage yard though I would think.

You are ignoring the fact that this is an excellent reason and opportunity to upgrade.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Looking at the threads and the rust that is not impact wrench damage. That is rot and rust.
Look at the other threads, they look pristine. It does look like the thread and lug nut might have been crossthreaded, and that damaged things. Being from Alabama, I doubt there is a road salt issue.

OP
OP
Conman

Conman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Look at the other threads, they look pristine. It does look like the thread and lug nut might have been crossthreaded, and that damaged things. Being from Alabama, I doubt there is a road salt issue.
After the initial cross thread damage, I rotated and changed out the tires a few times and kept using the damaged stud until I finally fixed it.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I now write "Hand torque all lug nuts/other fasteners" on every service order that I sign when the keys are handed over.
That strikes me as being as effective as writing "Fragile, this side up," on packages you mail.