Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Rightfully so, @jamielong's Insurance Company, let alone, if need be (and I hope not) attorney, would likely not want him going into any further details about the accident right now.

Again I wish you and your wife and all others and their property well. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sponsored

Magiaone

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F250
So to be clear. The Jeep is tested to the mandatory standards. 5-40 mph (the worst being offset frontal) That is what the tests are rated at.

We can all look at a Jeep and say wow that doesn’t look good. If it was 80mph and the Jeep was in pieces would we say it didn’t perform well or failed? It’s all relative.

Looks to me like the Jeep did great. We picked our Sahara up last night and I’d be happy with that out come hitting a stationery vehicle at 60.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I think if it were a European vehicle and not a solid frame vehicle we'd be having other talks! I'm thinking the same thing about US unibody even though I have one!

How's the Equinox look?

Glad all except what happened to your wife is all though and again good luck. Extra good luck with your Gladiator, lucky you!

Go Jeep!!!

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
People judging the outcome like they have the knowledge. As an emt/firefighter in a large metro area, whose firehouse is right near a major expressway let’s just say I see a lot of car accidents. If the equinox was at a dead stop and she hit it at lets say 50 or 55, because I’m sure when she turned forward the gut reaction was to slam on the breaks as most would. That’s an excellent result. I’ve seen people suffer far worst injuries from similar collisions at half that speed from airbags and seatbelts alone. You can see the damage went down and in which is inpart again probably from braking but also the way it’s suppose to go.

I’m glad to hear all are ok and I’m sure the Chevy also took a lot of the brunt force as it moved forward with the impact. I’m sure it looks way worse than the Jeep.

The European crash models only rated so poorly because the Jeep didn’t have all the fancy electronic safety measures a lot of cars have now. Cars like Tesla will make it almost impossible to compete safety wise because how can anyone rate better than a car that will force itself to stop before impact.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yikes. It's a little concerning to me that the Jeep didn't crumple more and absorb more of the energy of the crash to protect the occupant. I mean, it's totaled so "holding up well" doesn't seem accurate or relevant. If I crash at 60 mph I will be glad if I can walk away and won't think twice about what happens to the vehicle. I'm glad she only has a cracked sternum!
I agree but, the fact the she walked away is a great testament to the Jeeps ability to keep one safe. 60 mph coming to a dead stop and no one was killed? Amazing.

OP
OP
jamielong

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
I think if it were a European vehicle and not a solid frame vehicle we'd be having other talks! I'm thinking the same thing about US unibody even though I have one!

How's the Equinox look?

Glad all except what happened to your wife is all though and again good luck. Extra good luck with your Gladiator, lucky you!

Go Jeep!!!
Agree , Glad she was in my Jeep and not her Durango

Cant post pics of the Equinox incase we go to court .

Thank you

OP
OP
jamielong

jamielong

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Sierra
People judging the outcome like they have the knowledge. As an emt/firefighter in a large metro area, whose firehouse is right near a major expressway let’s just say I see a lot of car accidents. If the equinox was at a dead stop and she hit it at lets say 50 or 55, because I’m sure when she turned forward the gut reaction was to slam on the breaks as most would. That’s an excellent result. I’ve seen people suffer far worst injuries from similar collisions at half that speed from airbags and seatbelts alone. You can see the damage went down and in which is inpart again probably from braking but also the way it’s suppose to go.

I’m glad to hear all are ok and I’m sure the Chevy also took a lot of the brunt force as it moved forward with the impact. I’m sure it looks way worse than the Jeep.

The European crash models only rated so poorly because the Jeep didn’t have all the fancy electronic safety measures a lot of cars have now. Cars like Tesla will make it almost impossible to compete safety wise because how can anyone rate better than a car that will force itself to stop before impact.

The good part is the Jeep was much higher than the bumper on the Equinox so yes it took alot of the force and absorbed it .

Axlenut

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Good example of how good newer cars are vs older cars in crash test/passenger protection. Despite the size difference, these cars weigh close to the same.

Jeep crash test. Not agreeing or disagreeing, just posting for reference

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The good part is the Jeep was much higher than the bumper on the Equinox so yes it took alot of the force and absorbed it .
Lots of nervous posts anytime a picture of a crashed jeep appear, important part is she is ok. Wishing you all a speedy recovery :(

Sponsored

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
The visual crumple zone of the Jeep is not a determiner in the overall success of the outcome of this accident. There is no reason for me to believe if this identical accident had happened in a BMW 3 series the injury to Wife would have been any less.

Go Jeep!

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!

So much goodness here. I'm not a ENT, and can't lay claim to that kind of experience. Just a guy who's known lots of folks who've gotten in accidents and broken ribs, noses, collarbone and wrists from airbags. They're great devices, but if you're too close when they go off, you're gonna walk away unhappy (as opposed to not walking away, if you had no airbag).

Also a good point on the euro ratings; automatic point deduction for the vehicle not having auto braking, pedestrian detection, etc. Things most folks on this forum would bitch about [full disclosure: including me]. But auto braking probably would've prevented this accident, and certainly would've reduced the damage exponentially.

What matters is that your wife came through with little injury. And that the majority of the crashes we've seen here are the same. Good luck with the claim!

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
The driver of the bel air is dead. D E D, ded.

New2Jeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS; 2018 HD Heritage Classic Softail; 2012 Victory Vegas 8-Ball; 2003 Monaco Windsor
A little background on me. I spent 25 years as a police officer/supervisor. One of my duties was investigating every officer involved vehicle accident, every fatality accident, and most of the accidents involving serious injury (if I wasn't called out, the officers got written up, so yes almost all of them!). I've seen fatalities at low speed (less then 15 mph), and worked accidents where the speeds were well in excess of 120 mph (one of those, the passenger actually survived with no long term disabilities!). I now work as an RN in the ER (I wanted a lower stress retirement job . . . Yes, I know I have no common sense!).

That said, your wife's Jeep looked like it did a good job of protecting the occupant. A cracked sternum, and significant bruising are relatively minor compared to what I'm used to seeing. No lacerated liver or spleen, no long bone fractures, no brain bleeding, and no spinal involvement. You said she should make a full recovery. I've seen similar accidents result in fatalities. Good luck to you and your family.

I would have estimated the speed at impact at approximately 40mph just based on the picture. I would never include a speed estimate in a report based on pictures alone. Roadway marks, roadway grade, roadway surface, temperature, and lots and lots of math go into these investigations. Your description of the accident is similar to many that I've worked.

Let us know how you like the Gladiator, I might have gotten one, but they came about just after I got my Wrangler.

Larsf

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn vue
I know this is speculation, but would the adaptive cruise option with the collision alert have stopped the car? My kids now drive, so thinking about safety for them...
Sponsored