Sponsored

This is one of the reasons I own a Wrangler!

COJeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR, '23 Donkey because gas is too expensive
Clubs

Please, someone react to my post. Right now my reaction score is 666. That can't be a good thing! :devil:

Everyone, let's see if we can get him to 2000 all in this one post!
Sponsored

graytag

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 4xe, Sold-3 TJs, 1 YJ
Of owning a BMW X3? The funny thing is, I could buy a decked out BMW X3 for cheaper than I could purchase a new Wrangler with the options mine currently has. I never expected my Jeep to cost less than a BMW.
My wife's bosses BMW also needs a new turbo. That's a four to five thousand dollar expense I wouldn't want to put out.
My sister bought a used BMW X3 a couple of years ago. Guess she didn't test drive it long enough as she ended up disliking it so much she sold it back to the dealership at a loss about a month later.
Seconded. Came to Wrangler 4xe from a fully loaded 2021 X3 PHEV- stickered $7K less than Wrangler plus they discounted it another 10%.....It was a total POS.

Smoke Showing

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
While driving on the freeway, cold but good cleared roads in Cleveland an entire roof worth of snow came flying off the car in front of me and landed on my windshield. I couldn't see a thing. I was in a rental car and didn't immediately know how to turn on the windshield wipers (don't repeat that mistake any more). zero visibility at 70mph for 4-5 seconds is Very scary.

So yea - brush the snow off your car peoples.
I’ve had that happen too. I now stay away from cars that look like frosted cupcakes. It’s a sure sign of a driver who is inexperienced, lazy, or doesn’t give a shit about anyone else on the road.

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Meanwhile, in TX, we're all like, "ooooh, it's gonna be cooler on Monday!"

Jeep Wrangler JL This is one of the reasons I own a Wrangler! Tree Hugger
I definitely envy y‘all during the two months of the year when you’re not sweating through 100+ temperatures, 90% humidity, and mosquitoes as thick as fleas. ;)

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I actually would have paid to watch anyone with an automobile, either rear wheel or front wheel drive, try to get out of the street and into my driveway. The video is a bit misleading as I had already driven over the snowbank and then backed through it again so my wife could get the video she wanted. It was quite a bit higher before I drove over it twice.

The issue in this instance is you can't "plow" through this snow. I didn't realize that until I got out my snow blower to clear that snowbank away. The temperature was about 30 degrees so the snow should be soft, maybe even fluffy. Ah, nope. Because the snow was so wet as well as compacted by the snowplow it was HARD. My snowblower couldn't cut through it and my snow shovel wanted to bounce off it rather than dig in. Had to get my spade shovel out to chop it into smaller pieces and then heave the snow into my yard.

What you're saying is 100% correct though, if the snow wants to play along. When I worked at a military base before I retired we had huge spring snowfall. The gate to my base was closed so I drove to an adjacent base and found that entrance manned with security and since both bases are connected I figured I'd go that route. None of the roads on the base were plowed but since I was driving my Dodge Ramcharger with full time 4X4 that didn't matter. I came to an area where the snow was drifted high. Higher than the hood of my truck which made the depth at least four feet. Puff, my Dodge went through that drift like it was a cloud.

Around here we could get a six inch snowfall of dry, fluffy snow and even front wheel drive cars with halfway decent tires can get where they need to go. Four inches of wet, heavy snow and those same cars are getting hung up all over the place. Especially in intersections where a plow may have left the snow a little deeper or going up an incline. Many times the roads are plowed but the parking lots are not yet cleared. A couple of days ago a employee at work came in a she was furious that the lot wasn't plowed yet. She was swearing like a sailor as she drove in her husband's SUV for the added clearance but since it was only front wheel drive it still got stuck.

So, yes, driving a Wrangler gives me peace of mind I would not have otherwise. I never have to worry whether I'm going to get home if the winter weather is crazy bad. Yes, you still have to drive smart and remember than although you can move forward without much issue your coming to a stop is not much different than a two wheel car. And you can go seventy miles an hour on the freeway in super icy conditions but only if you also want to do a 360 with the chance to impact the cable barrier in the medium. That's a great way to get a new Jeep but I wouldn't recommend it.
I would have issues in wet snow with stock tires. This year I switched to Falkens and they are amazing. That physics lesson about stopping plays out all the time. This past 2 weeks I have had far too many close calls from AWD SUV’s sliding into the road from side streets and driveways. They forget you can’t fly up to the stop like dry pavement.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve had that happen too. I now stay away from cars that look like frosted cupcakes. It’s a sure sign of a driver who is inexperienced, lazy, or doesn’t give a shit about anyone else on the road.
The real butt pucker s are semi’s with roof snow and ice sliding off.

Sponsored

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
My JLU handles snow very well, but it's not the best snow vehicle I've had. That would be the '92 Cherokee I had. Very nimble, just cut right through or drove right over the stuff. And always maintained directional stability. The JLU is just a little "trucky" compared to that XJ.

2drjl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl 2 door
Driving home last night after another snowy day which followed another snowy day, my wife called me from her Cherokee. She told me she would not be able to get in the garage as the plow had come by and the snow at the end of the driveway was high. Higher than her, she said, so I mentioned to just leave her Jeep in the road and I'd snow blow so she could get up the drive. I also said I may try to get into the garage before clearing it if possible when I got home.

A few minutes later she called me back and told me to call her when I get home so she can video me if I decide to try to get in the garage through the snow. Her boss didn't make it in that day as his BMW X3 Xdrive couldn't get out of his neighborhood. I think she wanted to prove to him he had the wrong vehicle if he wanted to get around during a Minnesota winter. When I got home I didn't have to call as she was already standing in the front sidewalk waiting to take the video. I drove through the snowbank and up into my garage without any issue, or so I thought.

When I went in the house and asked my wife if she got the video she was discouraged that she did not. Apparently she was already recording when she hit the screen to start it which only ended it. Do you want me to do it again for you? I asked. If you don't mind was her reply. So, I backed out the garage, into the street and went for take 2, which was equally successful.

This was one of the reasons why I own a Wrangler in the snowy state of Minnesota. Not as snowy as Buffalo New York, of course, but this year has been one with more white stuff falling out of the sky than normal. I owned four wheel drive vehicles for a number of years when I was younger but in 1991 I no longer had a 4x4 but rather front wheel drive sedans.

Then Halloween 1991 happened. My kids were trick or treating and when we got back the snow flakes were quite huge so I told myself, yep, the snow is almost done. Boy, was I wrong. It snowed and snowed and snowed and snowed some more. Later that evening I got in my Ford Taurus to go get some soda. I only ended up driving around the block as I knew almost immediately that was not a good idea. Once back home I was stuck there for three days.

I HATE getting stranded, even if it is stranded at home. I made the decision at that time to never be without a four wheel drive vehicle again as long as I lived in the snow belt. For 20 plus years I owned labs for bird hunting so pickups were my vehicle of choice. 4X4 of course. Still got stuck once in a while which required the help of a tractor a time or two. But the option of only 2 wheel drive wasn't going to happen.

While getting around in the snow is not nearly as dramatic as rock climbing, it is a life requirement, not a life option for me at this time. Probably not many have to crawl over rocks to get to work or grab groceries but that nasty white stuff is around in the winter getting between me and my errands quite often. I'm very satisfied with my decision to choose a Jeep Wrangler for my snow adventures.

Nice! What kind of tires?

bradcrc

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Halloween 1991 happened.
I was in college during that, the plows gave up so the streets were about 3 feet deep with drifts up to 4 or 5 feet... and we went around in my CJ blowing up snow drifts at full speed and pushing stuck cars out of the snow. Was a blast, though I caved in the front grill by hitting too much snow.