This is how the Jeep craze started. Great Grandfather to the JL.

Token

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Great pics tluke and thank you! What an education. I was under the impression that Jeep always had 7 slot grills but saw 9 and 8 slot grills. I loved the crate shots too. One last interesting thing. Ironically one was advertised for 50 dollars and today........50 thousand bucks.
The 7 slot grille happened because of Ford.

The army owned the plans for the Jeep, and Willys couldn't build them fast enough, so they had Ford build them too.

In order to make their built Jeeps distinctive, Ford used a seven(7) slot grille.

Advertisement

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Best thread.

macintux

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR
The 7 slot grille happened because of Ford.

The army owned the plans for the Jeep, and Willys couldn't build them fast enough, so they had Ford build them too.

In order to make their built Jeeps distinctive, Ford used a seven(7) slot grille.
I think you’re mixing two different epochal changes.

Ford (reportedly Henry Ford himself) designed the 9-slot stamped grille because the early Willys grille was too complex and couldn’t be stamped. So most WWII Jeeps from either manufacturer had 9.

When Willys entered the civilian market with the CJ, they dropped it to 7 slots, whether for cost reasons or (I believe but can’t swear to it) because they wanted the trademark.

Robe81

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
So thats what that fold down window is really for...

cosine

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
great photos. i am always looking for a jeep in a box, just to have and build. as for ford, their jeep was called gpw.

Advertisement

ATO4x4

Advertisement