Sponsored

Third Dampener Solution To Death Wobble?

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
My 18 JLUR developed a wobble around 3/3.5K miles - some of you may know the headaches I've had with Jeep, local dealerships and generally getting issues resolved. Long story short, finally got in touch with someone at FCA and Jeep directly has been involved.

White Plains Jeep (my JLUR is kept in NYC) flat bedded my JLUR in for all warranty work including what was determined to be a faulty dampener. It was replaced with a new dampener, apparently a newer version / part # than what was already on it. Cut to 400 miles of driving (just hit a little over 5K on odometer) wobble started creeping back and is now back completely when hitting bumps on road.

Dealership is saying there's now a dampener that is non mopar that is the solution. Are these dampener replacements simply bandaging a larger issue? Steering stabilizer? Something else?
Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
My 18 JLUR developed a wobble around 3/3.5K miles - some of you may know the headaches I've had with Jeep, local dealerships and generally getting issues resolved. Long story short, finally got in touch with someone at FCA and Jeep directly has been involved.

White Plains Jeep (my JLUR is kept in NYC) flat bedded my JLUR in for all warranty work including what was determined to be a faulty dampener. It was replaced with a new dampener, apparently a newer version / part # than what was already on it. Cut to 400 miles of driving (just hit a little over 5K on odometer) wobble started creeping back and is now back completely when hitting bumps on road.

Dealership is saying there's now a dampener that is non mopar that is the solution. Are these dampener replacements simply bandaging a larger issue? Steering stabilizer? Something else?
If you’re on the third one I think you’re answering your own question.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I would typically agree, but I'm being told that the dampener originally installed was faulty. It was then apparently replaced with a new dampener, different part #. Now, being told that dampener can have some issues especially failure in cold weather (was 10 degrees here today) and that non mopar fixes the issue.

Again, not disagreeing that it's not an issue but if it's different part numbers or non mopar being replaced = why I'm asking this.

Also, please note I'm running mopar wheels with 35 inch K02s.

If you’re on the third one I think you’re answering your own question.

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
I would typically agree, but I'm being told that the dampener originally installed was faulty. It was then apparently replaced with a new dampener, different part #. Now, being told that dampener can have some issues especially failure in cold weather (was 10 degrees here today) and that non mopar fixes the issue.

Again, not disagreeing that it's not an issue but if it's different part numbers or non mopar being replaced = why I'm asking this.

Also, please note I'm running mopar wheels with 35 inch K02s.
I hope it fixes it for you, bud!

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Have you drove your Jeep without a stabilizer? If you still have the same issues without the stabilizer it probably isn’t your issue. Any modifications?

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Have you drove your Jeep without a stabilizer? If you still have the same issues without the stabilizer it probably isn’t your issue. Any modifications?
Haven't driven without the stabilizer - right now suspension wise I'm actually running stock rubicon suspension. Only aftermarket items that would cause any issues are the wheels. They're mopar beadlocks but I'm not running them as true beadlocks, only have the ring simulation and the tires are same as 33 inch K02s that come stock even down to load raiting but running 35s instead.

Ultimately, other than dampener or steering stabilizer - trying to figure out what else could be doing it to get it fixed once and for all.

CypressWrangler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JLU
I have seen on some of the facebook groups that they are now using FOX.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
I guess the question is - would replacing a dampener temporarily mask a bad steering stabilizer?

Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Steering stabilizers are not the solution to death wobble. If your steering/suspension components are in good working condition, your jeep should drive fine w/o a stabilizer, even with oversized tires and susp lift

Unfortunately, you need to keep digging deeper into your issue

Last edited:

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Haven't driven without the stabilizer - right now suspension wise I'm actually running stock rubicon suspension. Only aftermarket items that would cause any issues are the wheels. They're mopar beadlocks but I'm not running them as true beadlocks, only have the ring simulation and the tires are same as 33 inch K02s that come stock even down to load raiting but running 35s instead.

Ultimately, other than dampener or steering stabilizer - trying to figure out what else could be doing it to get it fixed once and for all.
I will just share my experience. Last Jeep I had was a 1984, so the new tech and more modern deathwobble issues are all pretty new to me.
2018 JLUR, V6, 6sp stock. Experienced death wobble 3-4 times at roughly 45-48 mph. Obviously concerned with all the talk on here. No steering issues as far as wandering. Replaced steering dampner with simple Rancho model. (Cuz I crushed the stock one) experienced wobble again a couple times at same speed.
Added Metal Cloak 3.5 Gamechanger w/6pak shocks and had alignment done following install. Wobble has not shown itself since both with stock Rubicon wheels and tires and now Mammoth Boulder beadlock look wheels with bfg KO2's.
The wobble has not occurred since.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Depends, are we talking DEATH GRIPPING the steering wheel wobble, or something minor like only going over off axis bumps and going away on it's own?

FWIW, I have a falcon 2.2 and it works fine, even in the -56 wind chill weather we have right now.

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Can anyone who has had the problem resolved provide details about how the dealer fixed the problem? I am on my third steering damper (that's what the dealer keeps replacing, not a stabilizer bar), and the problem (while better) persists. 24 days in the shop total, three attempts, and they still can't figure it out. I don't fault the dealer, this is a known problem, but still need a resolution.

OP
OP

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Can anyone who has had the problem resolved provide details about how the dealer fixed the problem? I am on my third steering damper (that's what the dealer keeps replacing, not a stabilizer bar), and the problem (while better) persists. 24 days in the shop total, three attempts, and they still can't figure it out. I don't fault the dealer, this is a known problem, but still need a resolution.
Agreed - if anyone has any further thoughts would be appreciated. I do not have death wobble where the steering is non stop wobble, but if I'm driving and hit bumps or anything in road get bad wobble then. I e-mailed the dealership and offered to buy a falcon stabilizer myself to replace when they do the dampener - this is becoming really frustrating. 5K on the odometer of a 52K price tag vehicle - 3rd visit to shop and same part keeps being replaced.
Sponsored