Sponsored

Third brake light install on hardtop why didn’t Jeep do this from the factory

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
DFA45992-1256-4CA4-B33F-69051E5427A8.png
In my statement I say, Jeep should make this standard in all hardtops. This is rhetorical. I have the answer to my own question, but since I don’t drive to the mall in my Jeep and have a spare tire carrier that has no place for a third brake light this is my solution to the problem. Ever seen the third brake light is on a pickup truck?
So you can’t run topless in your Jeep on road. That makes total sense. Even if you wheel a lot, you still have to drive on road to get there.
Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I relocated mine to the spare tire carrier for now, couldn’t stand that ugly bracket sticking up above the spare

0A192D17-FCCB-44BC-816F-4014DB5303BB.jpeg

A08AB639-5C83-4B00-9406-392D73D9946C.jpeg

View attachment 116436

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/spare-tire-led-brake-light-ring-jeep-wrangler-jk

This is pretty neat for a third light. But to use on the JL, you have to do some wire splicing.
@Mt Jeep

A few here have installed this...

The wire splice is easy easy. You also have to do some metal cutting on that light's back plate for it to work with a JL.

The one you linked to, is expensive compared to other very similar offerings on amazon.com that goes for about half the price.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
@Mt Jeep

A few here have installed this...

The wire splice is easy easy. You also have to do some metal cutting on that light's back plate for it to work with a JL.

The one you linked to, is expensive compared to other very similar offerings on amazon.com that goes for about half the price.

How is Amazon for Jeep parts? I guess I'm just curious about quality. I've only really used Quadratec for a few things on my TJ, so no real experience with any other suppliers.

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DickZip

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
The led brake light, bumper and tire carrier all came from @JcrOffroad

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Go topless and you are now violating the law in many states.

That's probably why, aye?

Sponsored

m27bpope

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20108 JL Sting Gray
This is kind of funny, I did not see the brake light, I saw the antenna, and assumed it was a brake light at top of the antenna. AFter reading rest of the post I understand and see the embeded brake light in the top. Now, I am wondering why wouldnt an antenna 3 rd bake light work?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
To add to the “beaten to death” part of this thread- please don’t make assumptions that hard tops don’t come off for most people. It’s 110 degrees here and I love taking mine off. It’s why I bought it.

But in any case- the fact that it CAN come off is the reason. Simple. Law requires it, so you have to have it set up in this manner.

On the conversation about pickup tops- they aren’t factory accessories. If so, you’ll notice they have a rear light. If not, and they don’t have a 3rd, you’ll also notice the verbiage on the box that says “off-road use only, not intended for on-road driving”. So you can’t use that as logic to prove that Jeep is wrong.

Now, if you want to reset your conversation to say “hey, I found a solution that not only looks cool, but is practical for those that leave the top on”- you have a good solution and post. Just don’t go off the rails. You don’t need to. It stands on its own.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I like this better than anything I've seen. How is it secured?
Used stainless steel hardware to bolt to tire carrier, had to file away some of the carrier to allow for the light to fit. The tire carrier is aluminum with a plastic housing so wasnt too hard to do. Didn’t take pictures of that aspect however but once you get started taking all apart it’s pretty obvious what needs to be done

Reactions: JC7
OP
OP
DickZip

DickZip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Rubicon
I’m sure you have noticed, I have a tire carrier that does not allow for a third brake light. So with or without a top I’d have no third brake light. Since I have not taken my top off and may never this is my solution. I tried other license plate recocation kits but with a camera third brake light and license plate light it was just to combersome. Just think about being on the side of the road/off-road trying to unplug all three.
Sponsored