Sponsored

Third brake light got smacked off, by a barrier gate arm...

Der

First Name
JH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
Today when I was entering garage, I hastated for a few seconds under the barrier gate arm, trying to decide either I should go left or right side to find a parking spot. And then I heard a loud bam from the cargo area, followed by several similarly horrifying smashing sound. When I got off the vehicle and check, I saw some scratches on the back of the hard top, and the third brake light is completely knocked off. I guess the good news is the spare tire saved my bumper and acc sensor in turn signal light module, which would be much more expensive to replace.

Will call dealer to see how much I will spend on this. until then, I guess duct tape shall secure the light in place.

IMG_9178.jpg
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Der.

For your consideration, here's a plug-and-play replacement that adds a bit of unique functionality. Ease of installation will depend on the degree of damage to the original mounting location.

OP
OP
Der

Der

First Name
JH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Sport S
Der.

For your consideration, here's a plug-and-play replacement that adds a bit of unique functionality. Ease of installation will depend on the degree of damage to the original mounting location.
Thanks Heimkehr. The light itself is still working, so I guess I will keep it there. The plastic housing however, is completely broken…. Not sure if need to replace tire carrier

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Today when I was entering garage, I hastated for a few seconds under the barrier gate arm, trying to decide either I should go left or right side to find a parking spot. And then I heard a loud bam from the cargo area, followed by several similarly horrifying smashing sound. When I got off the vehicle and check, I saw some scratches on the back of the hard top, and the third brake light is completely knocked off. I guess the good news is the spare tire saved my bumper and acc sensor in turn signal light module, which would be much more expensive to replace.

Will call dealer to see how much I will spend on this. until then, I guess duct tape shall secure the light in place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Third brake light got smacked off, by a barrier gate arm... IMG_9178
just gives you the reason to relocate it or just get the one that goes behing the spare
tons of options
https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-3...9OKz57cjsJSWTf8M8TsbRAMqqcrN22w0aAo_GEALw_wcB

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Someone posted a thread where they relocated the light to the carrier, behind the wheel but looks good and seen well. I simply replaced it with a Quadratec pnp light ring, looks much better IMO. ( wheel style dependent)

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps whoever is responsible for that gate arm should pay for your damages. There should be some sort of sensor that detects when a vehicle clears the gate. It may have one that malfunctioned.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
That sucks, sorry to hear that. Probably a great time to upgrade your third brake light anyways. I never understood why with the hardtops they didn't just include it into the hardtop. You have to unplug your doors to remove them, why not do the same with the hardtop and the third brake light?

I relocated mine a while back whenever move the spare tire, I don't know what this crossmember would be called, but the last overhead bar in the roll cage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Third brake light got smacked off, by a barrier gate arm... Screenshot_20230301-074233

Right there in the middle, over the Smittybilt branding. Got a 10 pack of these red LED lights from Amazon for like 12 bucks. Wiring wasn't too bad at all, and all I did was drilled some holes in the plastic for those two screws. Added some nuts to the other side, and it actually has a rubber backing which acts as a waterproofing agent.

I put on the soft top recently, and the light is bright enough that at night it shines through the rear window even though it's tinted quite effectively. Not sure what it does for people during the day, but the local Smokies don't seem to care too much. And I'm always on the road, so I have to imagine that the cops don't really give a crap. Most vehicles sit lower than my Wrangler so most people can look up and see it through the back window anyways, I don't know about those big trucks or semis. Hopefully they can figure out I'm stopping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Perhaps whoever is responsible for that gate arm should pay for your damages. There should be some sort of sensor that detects when a vehicle clears the gate. It may have one that malfunctioned.
This. There “should” be a sensor to prevent this sort of thing. Example: you start through, car in front of you stops and you are stuck. Gate definitely should NOT come down on your car.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
This. There “should” be a sensor to prevent this sort of thing. Example: you start through, car in front of you stops and you are stuck. Gate definitely should NOT come down on your car.
I STRONGLY believe the business that owns the gate should pay for the damages. Hopefully they have video of the gate that shows the arm crashing down on the Jeep. Otherwise, because the OP left the scene without reporting it, the OP may be SOL.

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
The gate timing is usually set for a full size vehicle to drive through, not park under while deciding where to go.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
I am adding this, don't like the light that sticks up above spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Third brake light got smacked off, by a barrier gate arm... 1677678714357

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The gate timing is usually set for a full size vehicle to drive through, not park under while deciding where to go.
True, but a safety to prevent this should be standard. Ones in garages we had used a photo eye to verify the area was clear.

Last edited:

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Just duct tape it to the spare and be done with it :rock:

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
True, but a safety to prevent this should be standard. Ones in garages we had used a photo ey to verify the area was clear.
There should be a PIR sensor in the safety system but maybe it was malfunctioning or maybe they got rid of it for false positives and it kept the gate up too long. Who knows. I won‘t try to make excuses for someone parked underneath an arm knowing they should drive through and get clear.
Sponsored