First Name
Romina
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thinskinz.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi Guys. Sorry we've been a MIA lately as we've been working on some R&D... so this may be a bit of a long post.

We've gotten a number of requests for a matte finish on the Skinz so we've been trying find the best method to achieve that surface. Some of the guys on the forum have suggested chemical surface treatments to take down the shine... or covering it with some kind of coating.

If you've seen earlier threads, we initially wanted the finish to look more like the original door during development. We tried different formulations and additives to achieve a matte finish that was impregnated in the ABS material but our former couldn't keep the shine down after heating and forming. We actually held back our initial launch by months but had to finally make the decision to go ahead with the finish we have because people's doors were getting destroyed.

So over the past few weeks we looked at a chemical bath to etch the surface but most of the electroplating shops in southern California only do metal and wouldn't mix plastic into their tanks. We did eventually find one electroplater that did try but he said it didn't work out (no other details).

We did however come across a super helpful guy in northern California who offered to blast the surface. Even though he thought that he wouldn't be able to help us with a run because his shop is slammed with work and even suggested we find a shop local to us to do the actual run, he asked us to send him a sample to try anyway. Unbelievably great guy and so grateful to him for his help.

Sample arrived last week and we think the result is Amazing! Take a look at the photos below and let us know what you think...

Jeep Wrangler JL ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish!!! TS-Photos-Finishes1-20211015

Jeep Wrangler JL ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish!!! ThinSkinz-Satin_and_Standard Finish 1
Jeep Wrangler JL ThinSkinz - New Satin Finish!!! ThinSkinz-Satin_and_Standard Finish 2

We know the finish is very important to a lot of people and understandably so. Beyond matching the shape and providing superior performance, they want the Skinz to match the finish of the original door and we feel the same. However, it's going to be an extra charge that we're trying very hard to keep down. It'll be a manual process performed by an experienced person at a local shop in SoCal. He'll be using fine grit aluminum oxide media at low pressure and taking a lot of light passes to take down the shine.

Between handling, delivery, setup, blasting and cleanup we're looking at about an extra $30 per set. So final price for a pair of Skinz with blasted matte finish will be $159. Can anyone help us to determine if this is still a good value that we can start offering?

Your input would be immensely appreciated before we commit to a run of blasted parts. Thanks in advance!

Romina @ ThinSkinz
Sponsored

Deleted member 72291

Wow! That looks fantastic! Honestly, I’ve held off from buying your product because of the shiny finish. It’s just not the look I want, but the matte finish would get me to order!

OP
OP
ThinSkinz

ThinSkinz

First Name
Romina
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thinskinz.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Wow! That looks fantastic! Honestly, I’ve held off from buying your product because of the shiny finish. It’s just not the look I want, but the matte finish would get me to order!
That's awesome to hear! Make sure to use the forum code for 10% off. JL_Wrangler-Forum10

MC3_

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Accounting & Finance
These look great! I too wanted to order them but didn't really like the shiny finish but i would be happy to order the matte finish ones with a premium especially since you explained the process. Are they available now?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ThinSkinz

ThinSkinz

First Name
Romina
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thinskinz.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
These look great! I too wanted to order them but didn't really like the shiny finish but i would be happy to order the matte finish ones with a premium especially since you explained the process. Are they available now?
Thank you so much!!! We will have some of the PROs ready to ship by Monday and some ACCESS by mid next week. You can already Pre-order them though.

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
I assume that you want to offer both versions still, and therefore can't change the surface finish of your mold?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Solid improvement on the looks with the finish change.

OP
OP
ThinSkinz

ThinSkinz

First Name
Romina
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thinskinz.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
I assume that you want to offer both versions still, and therefore can't change the surface finish of your mold?
The matte finish in this case has nothing to do with the mold. Unfortunately when we form the matte ABS sheets into the ThinSkinz panels they come out Glossy. We believe it's an issue with the actual plastic chemical composition. So yes, for now we will offer both finishes. We want to make sure doors are protected!

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I will say the new look is a huge improvement to me. With young kids and pets I had already considered ordering some of these. This makes them even more tempting. The price difference is worth it imo.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've already purchased the original Skinz, but I think the price isn't too bad if someone is that concerned about the finish.

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I like that satin finish, I definitely would have selected that option if it was available a couple of weeks ago when I purchased mine. They do work nice but the satin would match the interior much better.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I'm not picky on the finish, just glad I got reminded these exist. My new bud hasn't scratched mine yet...but I'm sure it's coming. Blocking the handles is a bonus in my situation.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.