Sponsored

thinking of trading in to a Willys XR or a Rubicon 2.0...thoughts?

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
i'm thinking of trading in my 2020 sahara to either a willys XR package or a 2.0 rubicon. i'm not really sure which way to go. my sahara has the 2.0 etorque which i have to admit is impressive to drive. not sure how the 3.6 etorque compares against the 2.0. my sahara has 35s on it and it runs and pulls great with the 3.45 gearing. the XR would have 4.56 gearing and would surely pull great too.

just asking for some input on what others think and wondering if anyone would have a height comparison between an XR package and a rubicon.
Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Ofcourse preference of your own will deem what you actually purchase. I have the 2021 JLUR 2.0 and love it; it does have ESS but no etorque and the only advice I could give is unless you use the Lockers go with the willys may be less costly and not needed. But I also am a firm believer in rather be caught with it and not needed, then caught without. Good luck on your choice and Jeep on.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
My bet is you'll be underwhelmed by the MPG decrease going to the Willys XR with the V6 and 4.56 gears. I really like the 2.0 eTorque combo in our JLUR, it's a shame they no longer offer it.

Personally I'd go with the 2.0 Rubicon vs a Willys (any engine) strictly because of the lockers. In my opinion, the best powerplant offering they have right now is the 3.0 EcoDiesel. Now if they threw a turbo on the 3.6... THAT would be interesting.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say without knowing how you use the Jeep.

Do you drive in snow? Get the Willys; the LSD alone will make a difference. Do you live in a flashy area? Get the Rubicon; it will impress the neighbors.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Since you’re asking for thoughts, here’s mine.

I don’t understand why people that already have a JL, even consider trading for a 2022, when 2023 will bring all kinds of new goodies.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Since you’re asking for thoughts, here’s mine.

I don’t understand why people that already have a JL, even consider trading for a 2022, when 2023 will bring all kinds of new goodies.
Because there’s no confirmation that anything will change. In fact, everyone I know who works for Stellantis said it won’t, but they also are frame and drivetrain engineers so they may not know about interior changes.

It’s all speculation still.

OP
OP
buzz998

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
i plan to wheel whatever i go with. before this jeep i had an 07 two door jk that was standard and regeared to 4.88s on 33" tires. the gearing really woke that 3.8 up. so i know gearing can make a major difference in performance. just not sure how the 3.6 with etorque matches up to the 2.0 without. my current jeep has the 2.0 etorque and i love how it run even on 35s.

i'm not concerned with flash. i like function over form. i've considered the willys with the XR package and LSD in back then adding a locker to the front....

as for the rubicon, i'm like a 51 year old kid... i just love how tough they look along with the function they offer to go with it.

the XR package willys offers a lot of jeep for the coin as well. i'm just not sure if the 3.6 even with etorque and gearing is much if any improvement over the 2.0 and 4.10s?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, deciding between a Willys XR or a Rubicon 2.0 based on the engine misses the point.

The reality is that differences in performance between the 2.0T and the 3.6 V6 are not that significant. Anyone can easily make the case for one engine over the other.

More significant are the differences between what you get on a Willys vs a Rubicon, and from XR vs no XR. I’d focus on the value and the benefits these represent to you.
Sponsored

Last edited: