JohnAinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for 2021 Jeep Wrangler S MT
Stolen from Reddit:

It's a tough decision. It's really win/win. The Toyota is like the wife always there, reliable, familiar. The Jeep is the wild chick you met on spring break, you got wasted had crazy sex and she stole your wallet.
I don't think truer words have ever been said......
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Stolen from Reddit:

The Toyota is tough, reliable and a beast off-road. Change the oil regularly and it will last forever. The Jeep will get worse mpg, break more often, be uncomfortable and is a beast off road.

The Toyota will move you and is probably a better vehicle. However, the Jeep will move your soul.

It's a tough decision. It's really win/win. The Toyota is like the wife always there, reliable, familiar. The Jeep is the wild chick you met on spring break, you got wasted had crazy sex and she stole your wallet.
Most accurate analogy for a Jeep I've ever seen! I already have a wife who is always there, reliable, and familiar. Glad to have something in my garage which serves another purpose :rock:

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
This is our first Jeep so I can't really compare it to previous versions other than to say I'm super glad we decided to get the JLUR. Very few vehicles have the ability to enhance your life anywhere close to what the Wrangler does. All of a sudden you become part of this great big Jeep family. You become an open target for casual Jeep discussions at the gas station, drive through, or even parked on the side of the road chatting with total strangers about their Jeep experiences. I love that part.

Driving the Jeep is awesome... it just feels very special in a way that no other vehicle has (be it car, off-road SUV, off-road pickup, etc.). You can mod it to make it uniquely yours. You can get everything you want off the showroom if that's your preference. The Jeep can be whatever YOU want it to be and don't let ANYONE tell you otherwise. Want a stock S... go for it! Want a decked out Sahara... still a family member in good standing... get the Rubicon or Moab and enjoy the ultimate stock off-roading machine or build it up from there. There's just nothing like it.

It's only been 4 months and about 4,000 miles for us. Other than a GPS that needs resetting it's been trouble free. Love the feeling of being in the Jeep. Is it louder and less "comfy" than other vehicles? Sure. Not obtrusively so. But if comfort is your primary goal best look elsewhere. But if adventure is in your blood than there's no better way to get it going than behind the wheel of a Wrangler.

Now that we've had one, I can't ever imagine a day where we won't have one in the family. If I live to 100 I hope to still be driving a Wrangler! One can never feel old when driving one of these things!

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Stolen from Reddit:

The Toyota is tough, reliable and a beast off-road. Change the oil regularly and it will last forever. The Jeep will get worse mpg, break more often, be uncomfortable and is a beast off road.

The Toyota will move you and is probably a better vehicle. However, the Jeep will move your soul.

Really?? Boy this is a far reach for a great metaphor..... But I kind of agree. I love my Jeep.
I looked at the Toyota 4-runners, and though they are great vehicles, it seems "heavy" to me... kind of sluggish. Maybe it was just me. But everyday I look forward to riding in my Jeep, no other car has had that kind of feeling for me.

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
We have had our Jeep for just over a month and about 1,000 miles. I know it isn't a lot but we haven't had any trouble with it. Our Jeep is a lot of fun to drive and, as others have stated, I look forward to each and every time I get in it and drive even to the store. The biggest issue I have with it right now is when I have to get out of it.

Sponsored

Patsloft

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Clubs

Stolen from Reddit:

The JL is uncomfortable ????

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I've been a big Toyota guy for a while and have always been on the fence about buying a Wrangler Unlimited. Almost bought a JK but went 4Runner route instead. Now I'm back to being intrigued with the roll out of the JL. Jeep looks amazing, has everything you could want minus the big price tag.

My hang up is (and I know the history of issues with previous generations, etc), there seems to be an awful lot of issues, problems, horror stories with the JL. Leaky coolant, wobbly steering wheels, of course the well publicized bad welds, etc.

I know the problems and complaints get all the attention and you never hear enough about all the people who bought one and enjoying with no issue, but is it just me or does the JL seem to have more issues than normal?

Again, not to spark a war on the forums, just curious to hear from experienced Jeep owners and followers as I admit, I'm a curious outsider looking in.
Have you perused any of these?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/in-the-market-for-a-new-jeep-jlu.24201/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/looking-at-jlu-considering-4runner.21757/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ve-uplifting-new-ownership-experiences.10410/

OP
OP
DCOURTS

DCOURTS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S/1982 Porsche 911SC/1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
No I havent but thats helpful

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
I'm bias as I had 3 jeep. Two jks and now my JL. BUT I've own alot of cars from a Mercedes coupe V8 to a big GMC Yukon Denali XL which has the exact same under pinning of a Escalade. With noise cancellations speakers etc.... It was super quite, actually too quite to me. So I guess I say that to say this, even all the fancy material and all the electronics still couldn't take me away from the Jeep. This time its even better as the material they use on the JL is very nice and I'll go as far to say on the luxury side without all the extra gizmos like lane assist and adaptive cruise control( now available for 2019 models)(Hated all the assist and never used them). Everything is up to date as far as features. When I had my JK and felt like getting into something cozy and nice I would jump into the other cars. Now with the fully loaded JL, I dread driving the other cars, unless its for business.

I haven't had no problems and had the Jeep since August with 5k miles now. Problem free and I enjoy everytime I drive around. I get alot of attention in this thing. I feel like a celebrity.

A Jeep may be to loud for you. I don't even really notice it as it's more white noise then anything else. In the newer Yukons/Escalade it's so quite your ears will ring and that's just to much for me. For you, you may love the complete silence. If you don't fall in love with it. It may not be for you....

20190219_162525.jpg

Triggerfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi
Every brand has issues with different models, and the internet feeds fear because you don't hear from the majority that have no issues while anyone with an issue makes sure everyone knows and is very vocal.

I've owned other Jeeps (Grand Cherokee's) and they were great, but always steered away from the Wrangler because it was a rough daily driver and not as luxurious inside as my wife wanted (Happy wife/happy wife). :) Now all of those issues are solved, and I feel the Wrangler is as nice as my Overland Summit GC was and is a great daily driver... to me, this vehicle is fun and well worth any issues that, in my opinion, have a small chance of popping up. Such is life. Just do it!

Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I'm bias as I had 3 jeep. Two jks and now my JL. BUT I've own alot of cars from a Mercedes coupe V8 to a big GMC Yukon Denali XL which has the exact same under pinning of a Escalade. With noise cancellations speakers etc.... It was super quite, actually too quite to me. So I guess I say that to say this, even all the fancy material and all the electronics still couldn't take me away from the Jeep. This time its even better as the material they use on the JL is very nice and I'll go as far to say on the luxury side without all the extra gizmos like lane assist and adaptive cruise control( now available for 2019 models)(Hated all the assist and never used them). Everything is up to date as far as features. When I had my JK and felt like getting into something cozy and nice I would jump into the other cars. Now with the fully loaded JL, I dread driving the other cars, unless its for business.

I haven't had no problems and had the Jeep since August with 5k miles now. Problem free and I enjoy everytime I drive around. I get alot of attention in this thing. I feel like a celebrity.

A Jeep may be to loud for you. I don't even really notice it as it's more white noise then anything else. In the newer Yukons/Escalade it's so quite your ears will ring and that's just to much for me. For you, you may love the complete silence. If you don't fall in love with it. It may not be for you....

20190219_162525.jpg
Interesting fenders, haven't seen those before :like:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Picked up my jeep on valentines day and love it. My wife loves it as well and was surprised how comfortable it is and the ride quality. She feels safe in it and its very easy to drive, high up with few blind spots. Hell my dad drove it the other day and told my mom she should buy one.

Also the insurance on it is lower that any new vehicle i have owned and by decent amount. Biggest downside is of course the price of entry, they are most certainly overpriced.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
8000 miles on my JLU Sport s since july 18.
You are either a jeep guy/girl, or you aren't, but the only way to find out is to get one.
It isn't a car, it isn't a truck, and it drives like neither, but it also does something to your soul.
No car or truck has ever given me the feeling a wrangler does.

My only issue was a little bit of wobble, but having fixed wobble on quite a few jeeps, I just took care of it myself, dealer was no help at all, and maybe I schooled them on how to diagnose and fix it.

Yup, it is rough, tough, good looking, unique, you will never mistake a wrangler for anything but a wrangler, in a sea of boring ass vehicles, a wrangler stands by itself.

I drove a YJ when I was 19 for a few years, then bought a TJ in 98, drove it to the moon and back until 2008, got a scion TC for commuting and lost part of my soul, got married, had kids, couldn't swing a huge payment, but needed 4 doors, so got a Subaru crosstrek and slowly started feeling like a 90 yr old lesbian, 2018 rolled around and the JL came out and I knew I had to have it, my soul needed it lol.

Now I am complete, wife, kids, house, awesome jeep, my kids love driving topless and hitting trails, wife likes the jeep, but not off roading, she is a nervous jervous, I am slowly trying to break her out of her shell lol.

so get one, it will either change your life, or you will realize your not a jeep guy.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve owned 3 Jeeps and still have 2. Iā€™m one of those types that doesnā€™t like to leave things too stock. For example Iā€™ll drop off upgraded wheels and tires before I pick up a new vehicle at the dealer or replace the stock exhaust and intake system shortly after buying. Either have a CAI or K&N filter on every vehicle I own. So one thing to be aware of with Jeep ownership is you may fall victim to the upgrade bug.... not nessessarily a bad thing but can be hard on the wallet.

And it can start fairly innocuously, I bought a used JK last fall. When I had it in for itā€™s first oil change we could see that it could use a new front spring. Jeep has high mileage and I new I was going to be replacing things on it due to this but price was good and cosmetically excellent. So anyhow since I needed springs and front shocks looked original I figured what the heck I might as well buy the Mopar/Jeep 2ā€ factory lift. I had priced the parts individually and it worked out to be cheaper then buying the parts piecemeal. Plus it comes with all the extra pieces that make installation a breeze. Ride is as good as stock as well. Anyhow once lifted my wheels and tires were lacking.....so ordered in a set of wheels and upgraded tires to BFG KO2 35ā€™s. Got them on and now due to the more aggressive tread pattern find the stock steering stabilizer is either not up to the task or worn out. Was fine with the brand new General Grabbers the dealer had installed when I bought it but well they just didnā€™t look quite right with the lift....

So now Iā€™m looking at the stock front bumper and thinking to myself that this needs a tweak.... oh and I got spoiled by the nice stock nav high power sound system in our Rebel so found a used factory nav radio from a wrecker which meant also sourcing the hands free mic and GPS antenna... my Jeep does have the factory sub and amp though and right now that sounds ok....

Oh and had to custom built a bracket for my 2 way systems antenna plus get a new radio which sparked the purchase of a Jeep Unique grab bar mic/handie mount...

Not saying any of the above is a bad thing just that there are far too many tantalizing bits you can put on a Jeep that can leave your finances in ruins. Granted the good part about the JL is perhaps there isnā€™t a lot of things out there....yet.....but beware....

As for unreliability well.... could just be that some folks run their Jeeps in less than ideal situations so they might discover issues faster than those who stay on road. Granted the JL is a new model and these days with the incredibly complex systems itā€™s tough to be perfect out of the gate.

As for comfort, well if you were up here Iā€™d take you for a top down windshield down spin in my 86 CJ7 and let you decided just how ā€˜uncomfortableā€™ a JL is. If I still had my 77 304 V8 CJ5 with manual steering 4ā€ lift, dual front shocks, non power assist brakes and bias ply off road tires I suspect you would never consider a Jeep..... and yet part of the ā€˜funā€™ of Jeep ownership is some of this.

I have been pondering a JL since they have been announced but decided to wait when I heard about the diesel rumours. In the mean time to quench the hunger I caved in last fall and bought a JK because it was too nice to pass up and I had already had an plan. I do hope FCA follows through on the diesel, though one thing that is curious is that at least up here it seems to have been dropped from the 2019 Ram 1500.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I have nearly 10K on mine and I'm sold on it. I had a few issues to start but my dealer was super getting them resolved. Some things I just plain don't like--ESS, no walk-away lock, no auto up on the windows. Really hard to complain too much since my first Jeep didn't even have side windows. I really wouldn't buy one if you primarily cruise the interstate. A couple of hundred miles is along trip for me. It's loud. If you're mostly in town it's great. And if you go off-road there is nothing that compares. For me it's the perfect balance between drivability and off-road performance.
Sponsored